THE LUNCHBOX!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 12:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: THE LUNCHBOX!

Originally Posted by ~sp33~
Loving the vids.
Cheers! In the midst of edittin my latest Wakefield day, includes track time in pouring rain which was fun. Unfortunately the GoPro was set to 15fps for some stupid reason so its a bit shakey
Old 12-21-2017, 12:32 PM
EFB055

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by afx31
Cheers! In the midst of edittin my latest Wakefield day, includes track time in pouring rain which was fun. Unfortunately the GoPro was set to 15fps for some stupid reason so its a bit shakey
Bugger. I bought a go pro a while ago thinking i would use it all the time, but the couple of times i used it (when i went to the drags, when i went to the skidpan) it either failed or the battery died, or the bluetooth connection to my app wouldn't work so i couldn't turn it on/off while i was in the car. Pretty disappointing considering how expensive the bloody thing is. Also the footage is so massive it's hard to deal with. I mostly just use my phone now lol.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bugger. I bought a go pro a while ago thinking i would use it all the time, but the couple of times i used it (when i went to the drags, when i went to the skidpan) it either failed or the battery died, or the bluetooth connection to my app wouldn't work so i couldn't turn it on/off while i was in the car. Pretty disappointing considering how expensive the bloody thing is. Also the footage is so massive it's hard to deal with. I mostly just use my phone now lol.
Yeh i feel ya, top of the range camera, expensive yet peasant in areas. Luckily mines been fine and I've had it for nearly 5years.. the 15fps problem was because i used my brothers and didnt check settings
Old 12-26-2017, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Next up was Honda Nationals, a competition put together where all different Honda's race in a time attacks styled track day. Each car is organised into 5 different classes, based off a point system which is affected by each individual modification on their car. I was placed in class 3 only just, was 0.3 points from being in class 4, class 5 being the fastest/highest mod class where the big boys run. The trackday was held at Winton Raceway down in Victoria, 2 hours-ish north of Melbourne. My father towed the civic down with me, we raced on the Saturday (which was his 50th birthday), then drove back on the Sunday which was fathers day. It was a very successful day, the car held up well, first time there with the new motor, started in the 1.50's and each session took 1-2 seconds off my PB bringing it down to a 1.45. Was on a 1.43 lap as I was 2-3 seconds up on my sectors, yet when I came to the final turn just before the finish line I got fuel starve. Quickly went petrol station after to fill up but I was too late coming back, as no more sessions were to be held. We packed up, chatted with interstate mates, watched the awards, chilled around then returned to the pub for a feed and drinks. Then returned home the next day. Such an awesome weekend!

Just want to thank my father for towing the car down and back, especially on his 50th for the track day and fathers day for driving back. His always supported my passion for cars as he loves them too (just too old to bother to pay for one ) and without his help I wouldn't of had the car towed down, and the times his leant a helping hand to work on the car is awesome! Thanks dad!

Last edited by afx31; 12-27-2017 at 12:41 AM.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

After Honda Nationals was another Wakefield day, this time held by Circuit Club. A very busy day on track with 70 cars there, more then 10 cars on the track at once, quite annoying as it was hard to get a clear lap. But towards the second half the day the highly modified cars started getting problems, reducing in numbers and giving more space on the track. I was able to beat my PB of a 1.13.00 with a 1.12.00!! Very happy, was unable to get into the 1.11's but the car did not break all day and was able to drive home, so I'm happy! Unfortunately no footage as my GoPro decided it wanted to corrupt my SD card, making me very annoyed, but hey its a GoPro, seem to pay top dollar for a piece of **** that constantly has problems, yolo.. Will return to get into that 1.11!

Position 30, name: William Mitchell
Old 12-27-2017, 12:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Track days aside, as some know Joey from The Chronicles visited Australia for the World Time Attack Challenge 2017 to vlog/blog, and so JDMyard decided to host a meet as well, we all laughed as we felt Joey would be disappointed with the quality of cars we have here vs the show spec cars in the US. But having said that it seems he still enjoyed himself. Heres a few snaps from the day. I only stayed for an hour or two, I think I'm getting a little old for the whole car meet thing, but was good to catch up with mates!

Old 12-30-2017, 09:15 PM
EFB055

That prelude at the top of the page looks sick! And quick too.

Looks like there was a few ED's out that day, pretty cool.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That prelude at the top of the page looks sick! And quick too.

Looks like there was a few ED's out that day, pretty cool.
Yeh that prelude is an absolute weapon, then again not much prelude is left there haha

Yeh a few was good to see many out. Now BYP are doing swap packages for them I'm sure B swaps wont be as rare anymore
Old 01-01-2018, 01:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Recently track day about a month ago was Wakefield again for the annual Nugget Nationals day! Most of them come up from Melbourne, good to see many coming from interest to race and enjoy cars! Driving down it decided to start pouring rain at 5:30am to the point my wipers couldn't move fast enough, even reduced speed to 70km as I was hitting huge puddles and it was throwing the car everywhere... good fun..

It continued to rain until just after lunch, however we all went out and started setting wet times, track in the rain is actually so fun, I was suprised how well my car was holding up.. On the first session everyone was going slow, after 1 lap I realised I could somewhat grip, I was bouncing off limiter down the straight for fun! Had dad in the car as well wiping the window for me, really need to fix the heater zzz... Ended up setting the quickest time for the wet that day, which was a 1.26 (1.28 in the YouTube video below!).

Once things dried up just after lunch, we started getting some heat into the track and the times started getting better and better.. I ended up by the last session, revisiting my PB of 1.12.00 with a 1.12.1, however this was with 2 wet sections of the track, one being a river running across the apex onto the main straight which I had to slow down through or I'd start spinning heaps. I also started dropping off Vtec coming out of the hair pin, you can hear in the video on the last one, vtec drops off and comes back on. Turns out there wasn't a lot of oil, even though the day before I did a flush and topped to level.. ANYWAYS, this was the hardest I've ever gone at Wakefield and any track, just decided I needed to go crazy if I wanted quicker times and the car just stuck the whole was. I was doing 7-10 hard laps consistently each session, tyres and brakes not letting go one bit at all. Started going faster through the big sweeper before the fish hook too. The fact I was right on my PB with a wet track + coming off Vtec, that only tells me theres definately a 1.10 there, and I plan to get it next Wakefield day which is actually the 29th January, this month!

Here is a video (once I've finished editing I'll upload) and photos from the day, was an awesome day. Thanks Nugget Nationals x EXE Crew for putting on an awesome track day as always, I'll see you guys next time you come up, or maybe I'll come down to Melbourne!

*VIDEO*

(Whoops going 100km in this pic hehe)

Old 01-01-2018, 01:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So up to date yay, I can now continue to post with all the new things I'm going to be doing, I'll stay on top of it as well, promise!

Merry xmas and happy new year to everyone. I used this break time to attend to a few things on the car, however didn't do heaps as it's quite hot here in Australia atm lol..

So first thing on my list was to grind down some of the rear section of the exhaust and fix them up and make it look nicer. Here is a before and after, however the after pic wasn't the final product (forgot to take another, its on car now so I'll have to take another one later..). For the final product I took a chisel and hammer and hit all the little ***** off aas I use a MIG welder without gas. Yes I know not as pretty as with gas or a TIG, but I'm able to do decent flat welds as is without it looking like pigeon ****.. Apart from the small splatting, that's because I ran out of anti-splat.. I then also painted the welds black with heat proof paint so they wouldn't rust..

So I've been wanting to remove the sub/amp + 6x9's that sit on the parcel shelf as I always had to remove at track, was always a pain, had to take terminals off battery etc was annoying plus turns out it all weights 19kg anyways jesus.. However on its last drive on Friday to work I decided to unplug it and see how it would be with just the front speakers, and the conclusion from that was I pulled over on the motorway after 10 minutes and plugged it all back in.. It's horrible without. Then coincidentally the next day in the car trip down south for my mothers birthday, I found a guy in Melbourne (I'm in Sydney) with an EG who was actually at H Nationals with me this year, he had the same trouble as me and want's that comfort for the random drives around town and the drives to the track. His solution was to create a 'false floor' which had 4 lids, 1 in the boot and 3 across the back seat. Underneath the boot lid was a built in box for the sub, attached to the lid itself, with one of the front ones with the amp under that. Spoke to him about it, as I said above he want's to pump the beats so with this setup it allows that, then once at track he just removes the lids and that takes out all the weight, then the wood used only weighed 5kg easy!

So with this I will essentially follow his design as it's a very smart way to do it. I have the plugs underneath secured in such a way that unplugging it at the track will take 2 seconds and cause no hassle at all! I will start designing this once my roll cage has been fitted which will determine if I still keep rear seats or not, the roll cage should be happening at the end of this month by a local shop!

Old 01-01-2018, 12:53 PM
EFB055

What happened to your heater? i was so close to removing my heatercore but ended up keeping it in there for that reason. There's a few really compact aftermarket heater cores that i'd consider using in the future, so much less bulky.

Your speaker project sounds fun.. Love the creative fabrication stuff.

What's your front lip made out of? I think i have the same style lip but mines fiberglass. I feel like it probably wouldn't last if i ended up in the gravel haha.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What happened to your heater? i was so close to removing my heatercore but ended up keeping it in there for that reason. There's a few really compact aftermarket heater cores that i'd consider using in the future, so much less bulky.

Your speaker project sounds fun.. Love the creative fabrication stuff.

What's your front lip made out of? I think i have the same style lip but mines fiberglass. I feel like it probably wouldn't last if i ended up in the gravel haha.
The heater core and all is there, just need to hook up the metal cables. When I did the B swap I started putting them back in, got confused which was which and quit lol..

Yeh pretty keen to start it, I'll post some sample pics later.

Not sure the exact material but its bendy af.. ages ago I had it come off on my ex's driveway and I then drove over it, 3 times.. just pops back into place haha

Last edited by afx31; 04-18-2023 at 03:40 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:51 PM
EFB055

The heater core and all is there, just need to hook up the metal cables. When I did the B swap I started putting them back in, got confused which was which and quit lol..

Yeh pretty keen to start it, I'll podt some sample pics later.

Not sure the exact material but its bendy af.. ages ago I had it come off on my ex's driveway and I then drove over it, 3 times.. judt pops back into place haha
I think the service manual identifies which goes where if you're still stuck with the heater cables.

Do you have a link to where you got the link from? I can almost guarantee that i'll destroy mine the first time i drive it hahaha.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think the service manual identifies which goes where if you're still stuck with the heater cables.

Do you have a link to where you got the link from? I can almost guarantee that i'll destroy mine the first time i drive it hahaha.
Yeh I didnt think of it at the time, I'll be looking at it before winter thats for sure.

Got it second hand with my EF9 front off Al Vincent in HH :/
Old 01-04-2018, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like pictures stopped on page 4ish? hopefully, you have more to put in. Love your build.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cunnart
Looks like pictures stopped on page 4ish? hopefully, you have more to put in. Love your build.
If your using chrome you can get a ad on which corrects the photobucket problem. I plan to finish off the rest which were originally uploaded with photo bucket. But allcthe recent stuff youll be able to see as with flickr
Old 01-16-2018, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Updates updates!!

So decided to drop the tank in search to an answer in regards to my whole fuel starve issue I continue to come about whilst on the track. Sometimes it even happens on half tank, which isnt fun at all.. I was some what hoping the fuel pump was dangling off or something but nope, still secured the same as when I first installed for the B swap. However I had it resting on a black rubber thing you can see in the photo below, absolutely no idea why. So we scrapped that and extended the hose so the pump could sit at the bottom of the craddle. With this done I'm hoping it will help, doubt it but you never know. I'll have to wait to my next track day at the end of this month!

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Once this was done I turned the car on to test drive, but then noticed coolant was leaking from somewhere on the radiator, oh yay.. So a little story, a while ago the passenger upper radiator bracket rubber actually fell out, decided it would rather not be in the car. I was never bothered to fix it so left it as is. Whats been happening is its been rubbing against the chassis for the headlight section, and what do you know we have a hole.. Lucky for me my mate can alloy weld so I took the radiator off to him to fix! Also I've had oil leaking from the vtec solenoid on track days after a long daay of thrashing so got a new genuine honda gasket kit for the vtec solenoid from my friend.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd, I've finally managed to purchase a set of rims I've wanted since I pretty much owned the car. Got them for a bargain, they are referbished and awesome specs (15x7 +20) (if only 8" wide..).... Zender Turbos!!!
Old 01-17-2018, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait to see the wheels on the car.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cunnart
Can't wait to see the wheels on the car.
Not sure when I'll put on,too nice to run on the street lol.. might get some second hand tyres from a mate just so i can see hoe they look on car
Old 01-18-2018, 12:43 PM
EFB055

might get some second hand tyres from a mate just so i can see hoe they look on car
Yesssss
Old 01-18-2018, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yesssss
Im tempted to repaint and get stickers so they look same as stevens
Old 02-02-2018, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay so heres a photo of my radiator which my mate welded up the hole which occured last week, very happy with the outcome, and it no longer leaks woo! I also grinded back the chassis where it was rubbing on the radiator, now I have correct brackets/rubbers in it shouldn't touch the chassis, but I decided to grind it back anyways juuuust in case..

Before:

After:
Old 02-02-2018, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So as many people would know, the ED civic doesn't come with a rear sway bar bracket, however you can run the OEM CRX one. Using the OEM brackets allows the chassis rail around the bracket to flex alot, it's thing weak 30 year old metal. So what I decided to do with make up some beefier brackets out of 6mm thick mild steel, however I also cut a piece and slipped it into the chassis rail with bolts welded to it, to somewhat double plate the chassis. With this application now done it's A LOT stronger, shaking the rear sway bar moves the entire car now.

First off I finally got some gas for my welder + this nice little $12 dolley from bunnings. I marked up the chassis rail hole to cut it into a square which would allow me to slip the 6mm bar in. With this we then made up the rear sway bar bracket, the OEM one uses 2 bolts, on this I decided to go with 4 bolt holes on the chassis rail just for extra strength and why not. Marked everything up, cut it all, welded it all. Then used 5mm think sheet for some webbing. With that done, cleaned it all up and painted rust prooft paint. Next we got some more bar and drilled same holes as per the bracket to slip into the chassis. Then welded some bolts to it so I don't have to double nut them under the car to tighten. As you'll see, I had to cut some funny angles on them, thats so they could sit correctly inside the rail.

With everything done it's very solid, we did stand back and wonder if over kill but eh why not, the chassis on these are so weak it's a good idea to double plate. Track in 1 week so I'm keen to see how it goes!

----

----

----​​​​​​​--------------------------------------​​​​​​​

Last edited by afx31; 02-04-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:15 PM
EFB055

That's not going anywhere!

I need to do something similar, the factory location for the sway bar mounts mean the sway bar hits the diff under shock compression.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's not going anywhere!

I need to do something similar, the factory location for the sway bar mounts mean the sway bar hits the diff under shock compression.
Yeh Ram had the same problem, ans had some spacers made up. I think you did then actually?

Quick Reply: THE LUNCHBOX!