Notices

Insurance for a modified '91 CRX

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Insurance for a modified '91 CRX

Will appreciate advice on insurance carriers for my modified '91 CRX. Will have $$$ tied up in it. 2.4 swap, wheels, tires, brakes, roll bar, and on and on.
Thanks, Lee
Old 12-14-2017, 03:01 PM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Insurance for a modified '91 CRX

Read this
https://www.carinsurance.com/aftermarket-parts.aspx

Keep in mind that collision and comprehensive insurance is not cheap and in the case of an accident where your vehicle is totaled, it typically pays out the market value of the vehicle.
Your vehicle is worth something like $500~$1000 so pretty much any accident and it's a total.

This is typically the case with these old cars -
"You may find that it makes more sense to just drive your vehicle with liability-only coverage and accept that you'll be out the money if your custom parts are damaged or the car is totaled."
Old 12-14-2017, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup...one small accident and that's it. I have insurance but still drive with a puckered *** scanning not to get hit.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Insurance only covers a replacement cost of the car, not your parts installed. Parts installed add NO value to the kbb or nada.
Probably book value goes from 700 in poor to 4200 in excellent shape. a typical insurance payout on a crx is about 1500, NO MATTER how much MONEY you put into it
Old 12-14-2017, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

not true. you must insure your car with aftermarket parts. i have mine currently for full coverage as well as 2000 in aftermarket parts.

about 7ish years ago i had my crx (full coverage as well as aftermarket upgrades) stolen. i had progressive insurance.
had to wait a week to see if it would turn up before insurance would pay out. i did my part, file police report, etc.. and they were going to pay out for all my after market upgrades, swap, and paint job. here is the stickler tho...

YOU MUST HAVE ALL YOUR RECEIPTS, AS WELL AS PROOF THAT IT WAS ON THE CAR.

i worked for oreilly auto parts so i had all my receipts on the store system. send those over.
i explained it was an at home paint job but had receipts for materials. they asked for proof. explained i did it myself and had pictures of me personally spraying the car, they accepted it.
explained car had a california legal bar certified swap comperable to a gsr set up. sent pics of bar sitcker and they approved the swap (and swap components) and adjust value to accomodate the swap (mounts, shift linkage, motor trans, ecu etc...)
had ef8 front end, which they wouldnt cover because they would only replace to usdm front since i didnt have receipt (craigslist buy).

after all was said and done they had valued it as just under 6k. i personally didnt want the money i wanted my car. waited the week and 1 day before the week was up, police called and found it. ended up only getting my battery, tools and radio stolen. (its all posted in my build thread as well from when it happened).

i still have same insurance just with different provider now.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

also the rep recommended that i get my car appraised by an appraiser. to not have to keep all the receipts. they will take the note of the appraiser and notary as full face value. not just kbb. since the appraiser will also add value for add on parts and upgrades.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for your advice!
Old 12-15-2017, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you!