Notices

$Value Sticky$ What's It Worth? Should I Buy? What's the Cost? (COMMENTS ENCOURAGED)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default $Value Sticky$ What's It Worth? Should I Buy? What's the Cost? (COMMENTS ENCOURAGED)

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$

You have come to the thread dedicated to questions about value and purchases rather than technical issues, which is the main focus of the CRX/EF Civic (1988-1991) forum.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$

Many threads ask for opinions on the value of cars or car parts that members are considering selling or buying or on the cost of car repairs or car work. These types of threads don't fit well in a technical forum, but they seem to generate a lot of interest among our membership. Rather than close these non-technical threads, I thought we should consolidate them here.

From this point forward, please post your inquiries about the value or cost of a car, car part, or car repair/modification job in this thread. You can also post here questions about whether or not you should buy/trade a car or car part.

Please quote the inquiry in your response. Otherwise, this thread will become too disorganized and confusing.

***Note also that buying or selling is forbidden in this thread.

Last edited by Former User; 12-28-2015 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: $Value Sticky$ What's It Worth? Should I Buy? What's the Cost? (COMMENTS ENCOURAG

I went to a used car dealership this weekend that specializes in Hondas. The owner and his son are really into older Hondas and after talking to them for awhile, they brought my friend and I to the back storage garage where they kept their older Hondas. There were a couple 70's era Hondas, a 92 GSR, some older early 80's Accords. What I fell in love with was the 91 tahitian green CRX SI. It had a brand new factory matched paint job and the exterior was immaculate. The interior was almost perfect, but the dealer told me that the seats needed to be redone. They were currently under seat covers. What was the kicker was that the car only had 63,000 original miles on it! The car was completely stock, except for the fact that it had a single tip muffler, which they said they replaced it since the old muffler was bad. The car looks like it is brand new and the paint is super shiny. It even had the SI wheels and they were nice and shiny. They said that they would sell it to me as is for $6,000. Is that a good price? I am totally thinking about it. Too bad I did not take any pics.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: $Value Sticky$ What's It Worth? Should I Buy? What's the Cost? (COMMENTS ENCOURAG

$6k is about top dollar for a car like that. On the other hand, you probably wouldn't lose any money when you sell it (if you ever do). I would drive it and make sure that it is what it appears to be. A nice paint job can be a distraction from any issues it does have. Plus, it may have been stored outside and was super faded. I just picked up a 1990 Si hatchback for $3k with 104k on it. It was garaged its whole life and owned by an older woman.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Are these leftover parts of any use in the USA?

I purchased a 1994 JDM SOHC D16 ZC Dual carb engine. I am using the block to replace my worn out block. I have removed all these parts I don't need. I don't know if any of this stuff is of any use to someone here in the USA. Should I just take them to the metal recycler? If you see something you want it's yours you just need to pick it up or pay for shipping. I am pretty sure the carbs are trash. There is a power steering pump and an exhaust manifold that I guess might fit something. Are there any sensors or vacuum system components that I might be able to use later? Is any part of the dizzy worth saving for a spare, such as the igniter?
Attached Images    
Old 12-27-2015, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got this 1991 civic dx for $1100
new distributor and alternator
184k miles
5 speed with d15
clean title

Pretty much all stock and unmolested
I feel I did pretty well for only 1100 bucks, thoughts?
Attached Images  

Last edited by KadenEF; 12-27-2015 at 11:17 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Kaden- Look like you got a pretty good deal. As long as it runs well, can't beat $1100 for something in teal!
Old 12-28-2015, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grampswrx
Kaden- Look like you got a pretty good deal. As long as it runs well, can't beat $1100 for something in teal!
Ohh yeah it runs really good, its my first car and ive been driving it all winter! Starts right up in the cold!
Old 12-30-2015, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a Gen 2 JDM B16A with a YS1 open diff transmission. It probably has about 60-70k miles, depending on what it actually had when imported. The engine has a new head gasket when I installed the ARP headstuds. Comes with all the bits and pieces to run. What's an engine like this worth? I'm parting out my turbo ED6 project. The engine is currently running, in the car. I drive it every now and again.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just wondering if I can get some insight from some people on here. I have a 1990 Honda CRX that is bone stock minus a cd player and professionally installed sunroof. DX model, 115k original miles. No rust at all, body is in very nice shape. Original paint, not perfect but I would say 7/10. No issues with the vehicle at all. 5 speed with clean title. I have many numerous service history reports from the previous owner, might even have all of them from day one, I would have to double check. I live in PA and these cars are impossible to find in good shape. Any ideas of what its worth? I have my own set idea, but trying to get some other members ideas.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default AC Labor

Any idea how many Labor hours the AC option install was from the dealer? Would be particularly interested in any documentation if out there.

Secondarily interested in how long you think it would take to install from scratch in a Non AC car with the necessary parts from a donor car.

Thanks all!
Old 05-24-2016, 05:33 PM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: AC Labor

Everything is subjective. If you work slow or fast, good with tools or not, etc.

I did an install long ago and I took my time spreading it out over a few days;
Under the dash, under the bumper, in the engine bay, and then buttoning it all up with pipes and wiring.

Get a repair manual and check out all the parts you need and make a list of them all.
Post it back here and I'm sure people will be more helpful.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:20 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The dealership will be expensive, well over a grand I will bet.

It is not a hard job to add A/C to a Honda/Acura as heater box does not have to be removed, with all the parts at hand it should not take more then a day or 2, depending on your skill level and tools you have. 94
Old 05-25-2016, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Took me about 3 days. Working during the cooler mornings in later summer. Wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. The dealer won't install ac on a EF/ED anymore. AC kit is discontinued. It was over $1000 added to the car when car was new.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Should I Get This Car?!

Okay so I'll be honest, a couple of years ago I was the hugest hater on Hondas. I thought they were utter rubbish, and complete pieces of junk. Until the college life came in the picture and I realized how poor I was. I however, have came around to love them. They are cheap, durable, and when moded correctly, they can take Mustangs by surprise. So I am ready to take the plunge. There is a CRX in my hometown for sale, and if its still there when I come to visit next week I'll probably take a look at it. It apparently has a DOHC ZC engine swap and other modifications I really don't care about. Can you guys tell by looking at the picture if it is a true DOHC ZC swap? Otherwise I'm sure its on the block. Its got its issues for sure but I am ready for a fun project. Just wondering what you guys thought a reasonable price is and if its even worth it?
Link to ad https://mohave.craigslist.org/cto/5718089903.html
Old 08-11-2016, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should I Get This Car?!

looks like legit dohc zc, dont know about the transmission though. I say take the price down to 2000 or even less if you can, pretty good considering it's an hf( lightest crx trim) and pretty light wheels, only bad thing is hope it doesnt have the hf transmission unless you want extremely long gears
Old 08-11-2016, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For starting out I don't mind, but will need to upgrade that in the future for sure. What is a good trans to mate up to the dohc zc?
Old 08-11-2016, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

definitely the si transmission or the zc transmission, even the dx transmission makes a difference from the hf and the 4spd
Old 08-16-2016, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys, potential Honda owner here. Im new to the civic and Honda as a whole so I could definitely use some insight from the more experienced forum members. I am looking to get in to autocross in the coming year and I would like to have as much fun as possible without breaking my admittedly small bank. I currently drive a 2003 Impala and I have no plans to sell it, any car I buy would be in addition to this as it will continue to be my daily driver. I know everybody says to autocross the car you have if you're looking to save money but autocrossing a two and a half ton car just isn't the same thrill. So now down to the actual purpose of this post. I found an 89 si hatchback on craigslist that appears to be in pretty good shape, mechanically at least. Wanted to know how much you think would be a fair price for the car. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/5693603192.html
Old 08-17-2016, 09:07 PM
GDD Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That car has **** bodywork.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea I actually went to look at it the other day. Offered 1700 and the seller said no. So back to the drawing board. it also had 318,000 miles on the chassis which scared me.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:26 AM
fcm
Old Fart

How is the body work?
Is there a lot of bondo?
If not, [body free of rust] and you got rid of the ugly wheels, and it runs as good as he says then I think its not too bad a deal at $2000
Seats at PicknPull , [manual bucket w/rails] are $35 each, [you can easily pay more then that for good seat covers] $129.99 for a transmission, [manual] . 94
Old 08-18-2016, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i got to pay $117.00 for transmission with the linkage at my junkyard
Old 08-19-2016, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default What Should I Look For?

Hey guys, new member here. In a next few days I will going to look at a 1989 Civic SI hatch. I am located in Tempe, AZ. This will be my first Honda and the oldest car I have ever owned/looked at. What I need are some things to look for when I see the car. I don't know much/anything about the car so any help would be appreciated. Not looking to break the bank either so I am also interested in what you think a fair deal for the car would be. I am looking to get in to autocross so the car will be staying stock for the foreseeable future while I hone my driving skills the next few seasons. Here is the listing https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/5693603192.html Thanks in advance.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:34 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Default Re: What Should I Look For?

LOL for $2 I would jump on it.
Under 200,000mi, Arizona car, [should be no rust] and other then the hood and seat, it looks good although an 89. [27 years old] still not bad and hard to find.

I would have a good look under the car to inspect for rust, also check rear wheel arch lip, [inside] for sighs of rust, although the 89 Si did not come with the rear wheel arch protectors, [a real problem for Honda/Acura that do] it is still the first place Honda/Acura start to rust.
Up here in Canada you will pay $1500 min. for one with over 200,000 km but in good shape otherwise , over $5000 for an Si.
Could be a good find if the price is right.

Should be great autocross car, 2174 lb double wishbone suspension front and rear, 108hp at 6000RPM, 7000RPM redline, [fuel cut-off] front and rear disc brakes , 0-60 in 8.5 sec. and 16.2sec 1/4 mi., lots of fun. 94
Old 08-21-2016, 03:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: What Should I Look For?

Brake fluid looks low in the picture. You might want to check that out. I always look in the radiator, it is a sealed system so if it doesn't look nice and clean there may be issues. (best to do this before the test drive while its cool) After I first start the car I press my hand over the end of the tailpipe for a couple seconds to make sure it builds up pressure. Try out every electrical device (sunroof, blinkers horn, wipers, interior light, radio...) Open and close everything that is supposed to open and close. Look inside for anything unexpected (fuel door glove box door) If your state requires an annual safety inspection, check everything they check, or better yet get the safety inspection performed if the prior inspection is more that a few months old, here in VA that only costs $14. Roll the windows up and down. At low speed try braking with your hands off the wheel, does it brake in a straight line? Sit in each front seat and make sure all the adjustments work, Look at the CV boots for tears and/or leaking grease. If you can jack up the car grasp each wheel at the top and bottom and look for any play in the control arms. The one tire I can see in picture 6 looks good to the extent I can see it are all the tires in good shape? It is always a plus if the tires are all the same brand and style. Check the engine oil too, If its below minimum it may indicate that the owner is not taking proper care of the car in general. look for clues to problems, for example I would be suspicious if I found a bottle of brake fluid in the trunk.

Quick Reply: $Value Sticky$ What's It Worth? Should I Buy? What's the Cost? (COMMENTS ENCOURAGED)