Notices

Installing a sunroof on 89 LX Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing a sunroof on 89 LX Sedan

I was at the salvage yard yesterday and I saw another 89 LX Sedan (just like mine) with a few subtle differences. First it had a different center console, which I would have taken for myself had I the same color interior. The ashtray and cigarette lighter were lower, more on the ground actually. It was one continuous piece from the e-brake all the way up to the dash, unlike my Sedan which has "break" between the gear shifter and the center console...

And it had a sunroof with automatica controls on the roof. I've never seen this in a Sedan before so I started thinking about swapping out the roof from this car into my car.

Who has made this swap before? Is it difficult? Time consuming? Not worth my while?

My fiance thinks I should just get an after market sunroof instead of going through the hassle of removing my roof and putting on one of a different color. I can see her point but I'd rather hear how difficult it is before I make up my mind.
Old 06-26-2005, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Installing a sunroof on 89 LX Sedan (SiMateoAko)

I've done a roof swap, removing the sunroof and going to a "std" roof, and can say that I would <U>not</U> recommend trying to install a factory sunroof to anybody!!!

It's not just the roof skin. That part is fairly straight forward. It's the other little things.

You have to be able to locate and weld in the side supports that hold up the sunroof hatch assembly. Not easy and if done wrong, it will never work correctly.

You have to run the four drains and where they exit.

You have to do all the wiring. Running the wiring would be difficult.

Here is a link showing what I did;

http://www.performanceforum.co....html

If for some reason you really feel the real need to have a factory sunroof, buy a body shell that already has one!!! Then swap everything over. Believe me when I say that this would be the easiest and most cost effective way to go.

Wes V