Notices

Installing a new Center Console

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Installing a new Center Console

I decided I wanted a center console in my 89 hatch and I took some pictures to help anyone else out if they decided to go the same route I did. I believe it's a 94 Integra center console. You can find em on ebay fairly cheap or on here.

So here is what I had in my car stock, a double DIN that housed the radio, climate control and had a cigarette lighter and ash tray.

Undid the 3 screws holding it on and flipped it around.

There are several screws and some clips holding the top and bottom together.

Remove those and it pops off.

Here is the top separated from the bottom portion I am replacing.

Moving on to the emergency brake housing, pop off the housing for the screws.

Undo the screws and hold on to them.

On the back portion you have to slide the housing so it clears these brackets.

Like this

And it pops right off.

You'll notice the new center console has the same screw holes, but they don't match up.

Moving on to the shift boot

It should look pretty good in the center console, I got mine from amazon for like $20.

I used the clips on the bottom to hold onto the shift boot, also used some glue.

Next, take off the shift ****. It's a good time to replace it. Mine sort of melts to your hand.

Size up the front.

It needs something to hold up the driver side in my case.

Other than that, I like the arm rest

And it's got some good storage.

So it's time to drill a hole on the driver side since it doesn't match up.

Put it back in and it should fit no problem.

Put the screws back in the car. There is a picture I didn't take where I put a shim in the bottom of the center console to keep it snapped in the middle.

Slide on the shift boot.

Reinstall the shift ****.

And you're done.

Shouldn't take too much time. The hardest part for me was really securing the shift boot. This can be done with the seats in. I didn't secure the back portion, many people do. But it is help in by the seats really well and there isn't any play or movement that annoys me, so I left it as is.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Installing a new Center Console

Bump for a good write up, i did the same to my 89 a few months back and this would have helped clear up some questions i had.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Icon6 Re: Installing a new Center Console

This is a great mod.

I just wanted to add that its very easy to re-upholster/cover the arm rest to make it match your interior. If you have old seats like I did you can use a piece of the fabric to cover the arm rest. You'll want a fabric that can strech and wont fold, due to the shape of the armrest. I used the OEM black fabric with the diagnal grooves.

Start by unscrewing the armrest from the console at the hinge. Then remove the screws (2 I think) that fasten the top half to the bottom. Cut your fabric to a size that can wrap around the top enough that it can be sandwiched in between the halves (bigger is better then too small). Pull the fabric tight, (tape can hold it tight) and re-attach the bottom peice, the bottom piece will clamp the fabric in place. Then screw it back to the console.

My re-covered armrest has remained tight and looking good for 3 years now.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is great. I think I'll do this on mine. makes a huge difference in appearance too

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 01-24-2013, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

one question. Did your center console from the 94 integra come as one whole piece or two separate pieces. I only asks cause that's how they are sold on ebay. idk which one to get

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 01-25-2013, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

2 seperate pieces .....i have one in mine and actually got a red stitched black leather armrest cover off ebay for 18 bucks looks killer and love having a cup holder
Old 01-25-2013, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, it's a 2 piece thing. I got mine together so the fading would match. The leather arm rest is in really good condition actually. I just have seat covers from walmart on the car at the time because my stock seats have seen much better days. The foam is more present than the covering.

I appreciate the appreciation. Just felt like doing some sort of write up since I know someone will find it useful. I also replaced my steering wheel with an aftermarket wheel, but that is incredibly easy. Not sure if it's worth the write up.