Notices

IM shaft on Si

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IM shaft on Si

I have a DX hatch with a d15b2 with a Si tranny on it. Is there anyway I can add an intermediate shaft so I can run equal length axles?
Old 06-17-2005, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IM shaft on Si (vegaskurt)

Probably not - not because of your transmission, but because of your block. Most of the D15s for the US market (HF and DX CRXs, at least) don't have the threaded holes for the intermediate shaft's outer mount bracket. The Si block (D16a6) DOES have them, but that's because it also went into the '88-'91 Civic AWD Wagon, which got an intermediate shaft.

Soooo... If you want to check your engine block, look just under the oil filter, inboard of the lower alternator mounting bracket. You're looking for three holes, laid out in a "lazy L" pattern (kinda like this: ": ."). They need to be there, and they need to be threaded for the bolts, or you've got some work ahead of you. Far as I know, the HF and DX blocks have the PLACES for the mounting holes, but all of them I've seen either don't have the holes drilled, or the ones that ARE drilled aren't tapped (threaded).

If you don't have a way to mount the outer bracket, you're looking at replacing the block or having the holes drilled and/or tapped. And that's just the start - you also need to start looking for a differential that will accept the intermediate shaft's inboard end. It's larger than the stock Si axles, so it won't just pop into any of the US-market L3 transmissions - except the AWD Wagon's. The Wagon and the ZC shafts are similar, but there are differences in them, too. If you're dead-set on a mid-shaft, I'd make sure the block you use has a place to mount the outer bracket, then start looking for a ZC transission and ZC intermediate shaft.

Does that help?

Mike
Old 06-17-2005, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IM shaft on Si (Kwicko)

that helps out a lot. At least ZC trannies can be had for cheap. I'll check for the bolt holes on the block.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IM shaft on Si (vegaskurt)

Yeah, make sure you've got the mounting holes FIRST. And make sure they're threaded - might be kinda hard to tap them with the engine still in the car!

As for ZC trannies still being cheap... well, they've been cheaper. Seems they're getting a little harder to find these days. Last time I went to order 'em in bulk, the price had doubled, and they couldn't even get me a dozen. They (Nippon Motors) did send six, though, and one of them had a KAAZ limited-slip diff in it! Gotta love when they screw up like that.

You should still be able to get hold of one for $175 or so, but MAKE SURE that you get the ZC intermediate shaft with it if you do it. They're not normally included, and they tend to sell for $75-$100 on their own.

M