Notices

The Hunt for Discontinued Parts Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon7 The Hunt for Discontinued Parts Thread

To many of the true vintage honda builders, it has become more and more difficult to soarce most of the parts required for a proper build because they are simply discontinued. This is very discouraging and leads to many dead projects.
We all must face the fact that we are all driving on barrowed time. Despite the fact that these cars are a landmark for import tuning history, they are simply too old for Honda to continue producing and stocking restoration parts, and have been for some time.
There will always be replacement mechanical parts but for the last decade restoration parts have begun to disappear. These include interior, exterior, drivetrain, and accessories or access parts

Sure there are many great used parts that work perfect for many projects, however, to a true restorer, collector, and builder nothing compares to Rare Discontinued BNIB Original Honda parts.

My intention for this thread is for collectors and restorers to share their personal collection of New or BNIB Original Honda parts intended for the 88-91 Civic/CRX.
THIS IS NOT A RARE USED PARTS THREAD
Parts can be USDM, UKDM, EDM, JDM, Mugen, ect.
Please feel free to provide a story with your parts or searches for these rare Honda treasures.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: The Hunt for Discontinued Parts Thread

Well to start things off, I got rid of most of my collection when I sold my 1990 Si in July of 2010. However, this is my collection rebirth.
As part of my next project I have been trying to track down a few parts here and there. One of the primary parts that I was searching for was a factory front spoiler for an 89' Civic Si. Every website that I went to labeled it as discontinued. I did manage to find two dealers that advertised it. I started out by order the cheapest, waiting a few days and then received a refund saying it was discontinued. I promply ordered from the other company only to have the same thing happen after a few days.
After a few weeks of searching the web, I decided to start making phone calls to old honda parts warehouses. I got ahold of a dealer in Florida who did a database inventory search for all of the locations in the USA. He called me back with the name of a warehouse in Alabama that just so happened to have the last one in inventory that was sitting on a back shelf from the early 90's. A week later I am now the proud new owner of what I believe to be the last one in exsistance BNIB 1989 Honda Civic Si front spoiler part number #71110-SH3-000

Old 02-17-2011, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know what you mean. Try finding a pair of headlight bezels for 84-85 CRX. Some days It makes me feel like drowning the problem in a bottle of jack.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crxguy406
I know what you mean. Try finding a pair of headlight bezels for 84-85 CRX. Some days It makes me feel like drowning the problem in a bottle of jack.
You would cry even more if you knew how many of those I had to throw away in 06' because they were sitting in stock since the late 80's and we had to make room. I had to scrap a lot of good parts when I was inventory manager.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Had to go get some lock washers for the inner tie rods. Got 2 of the last 3 in the USA. They don't make them anymore.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No other collections out there?
Old 02-18-2011, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dope threead
Old 02-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am looking for the passenger side quarter panel trim piece for my 90 crx.

possibly the center console plastic and a sunroof motor as well.

also the two small plactic inserts that cover the taillights on the rear interior.

they are not extremely important yet because i need to go through the engine and suspension/brakes first.

if anyone had the items i listed above, feel free to pm me.

if i find any oem parts, i will come here to show them off.

good luck all
Old 02-18-2011, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 96Formula6spd
Had to go get some lock washers for the inner tie rods. Got 2 of the last 3 in the USA. They don't make them anymore.

really? it always come's with every inner tie rod that i've bought? they were vatozone inner tie rods, but still, wear and tear item,
Old 02-18-2011, 12:58 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Front lips can still be had. I have an extra sitting around i didn't use, because i went with an EF8 conversion

I started a thread like this last year....you may want to check it out!..........

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...ghlight=canada

Old 02-18-2011, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 90_EX_Civic
really? it always come's with every inner tie rod that i've bought? they were vatozone inner tie rods, but still, wear and tear item,
Mine were in an ebay kit. Cheap kit but had everything that needed replacing. Tho they do not come with new honda ones. So autozone ones are the only ones that carry new ones. O well at least I got some new ones.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:15 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a friend who works with Honda and sells off some of their discontinued, needs to be moved inventory. He hooked me up with a display set (still BNIB, but the assemblies were displayed in a case for awhile) of '92-'93 Accord foglights. $90!

I managed to pick up the discontinued, BNIB, last in the US TYPE K (Classy Gray/Dark Gray) ashtray/lighter console for the '96-'00 Civic. Installed it in my Civic as well, but definitely not used. I don't even put things in the ashtray. lol

Then I managed to get one of the last (if not the last) '98 Civic coupe front lip BNIB (green), purchased by a guy on eBay after he bought it from Honda. Still unused and in the box when I got it.

I got the matching rear lip (red) a year or so later BNIB straight from Honda. I was lucky to find one.

And then just recently I found a BNIB front half mask for an '88-'91 Prelude. It's still in the box, sitting in the garage until I repaint the Prelude.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a few more discontinued BNIB items I've picked up, but those parts stand out.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Rob. should be in here any minute....
Old 02-18-2011, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If there was a website dedicated solely to that and reached people all across the nation or even the world then it would be a great success!
Old 02-18-2011, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Agreed. All of the websites that I purchased from showed the parts in stock only to refund my money later. An actual vintage warehouse would be great for years to come.
I know Majestic used to have a lot of discontinued parts but my buddy purchased almost everything they had back in 06'
His car back in March 09' Super Street
http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea..._si/index.html
Old 02-19-2011, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've got nearly every OEM new in package/boxes decals, emblems, window moldings, door moldings, trim pieces, rubber seals for my CR-X except for one window trim piece (I have it, but it was damaged in shipping) sitting a few feet away from me.

I've got a list compiled of a few things I still need, clips, grommets, screws, door hinges, fender liners...Hoping to be able to get a right side 1/4 panel and a hardtop roof panel along with the headliner, if they are still available here in Canada. The 1/4 was last time I heard, but I never looked in the roof panel.

One other thing I'm not sure about is the rectangular window on the back of the hatch, if I can get one I'll order it, it comes with the moldings which are not available in Canada or the US, maybe Japan but I haven't checked with them there.

This is all for my EF8, all of the above, plus a new front bumper cover, headlights, and corners are what I need before I can finish tearing it down and get the bodyjob started. Full resto, with mods to follow.

Right now I'm deperately waiting for my tax return and freeing up my credit so I can get the rest of the stuff before it's gone for good! It's stressful, I haven't even touched the car in months, I'm just too anxious about the rest of the stuff I need. I don't have pics at the moment, but if I can find time in the next few days I might post a few.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A bit late replying, but I said I would post pictures last time.

These boxes have all the window molding, garnishes and trim, except for one that was damaged in shipping that I have to re order. Also in there are new JDM door, fender, and quarter side moldings, the part# did not match the usdm# for these so I got them in case there was a difference... Also new tail light and center garnish gaskets

Used but minty EF8 shift boot with a new CL1 Euro R ****.

Double DIN and single DIN block off plates, my CR-X had the not so common double DIN console, and I also picked up a single, not sure yet which I'll use

Side mirror block offs, might use them as is if I intend to use it as a track car, might get some vision mirrors. Also have the inside ones for the power mirror with no broken tabs, mine had tweeters glued on and I'm not running an audio system when I'm done.

New rear triangles and SiR emblem

Decals, everything that goes under the hood, the one in the door jamb and the one that goes on the inside of the gas door. Some door decals, not oem, but the best reproductions I've seen, my car is silver and the only available oem ones left are silver, that's a no-go for me.

Here's the car

Old 03-07-2011, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice find
Old 03-07-2011, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmboyef9
You would cry even more if you knew how many of those I had to throw away in 06' because they were sitting in stock since the late 80's and we had to make room. I had to scrap a lot of good parts when I was inventory manager.
Why couldn't you keep them?

"You" as in you personally. You literally HAD to throw them away? Hell, if I were forced to throw them away I think I'd come back after hours and scoop them all up :p
Old 03-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the last set of oem splash guards for my old rex...kept checking availbilty and said discontinued but one day said there was one set left so i jumped on it !!
Old 03-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

EX Wheel Hubs - I picked up the last ones.
D-Series Driver's side engine mount bracket - none left.
C-Clip for the non-p/s pinion that hold the bearing on the pinion - none left.

These are items off the top of my head.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dr_latino999
EX Wheel Hubs - I picked up the last ones.
D-Series Driver's side engine mount bracket - none left.

These are items off the top of my head.
Just bought some used EX hubcaps that need refinished.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dr_latino999
i ordered one of those and received 12. still have 11 of them lol.

some may remember my build thread from 05 on here. totaled it 10/16/08. still have a few bnib oem 88/89 hatch parts. have a set of black roof trim and carpet for an 89 dx.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wanna sell the 89 DX carpet?
Old 03-07-2011, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by James89DX
Why couldn't you keep them?

"You" as in you personally. You literally HAD to throw them away? Hell, if I were forced to throw them away I think I'd come back after hours and scoop them all up :p
First I didn't know of anyone with a car of that age, second my boss was a complete douch bag. More than one time I asked to keep something going in the garbage and I was told I could buy it. There is a reason why I quit and an even bigger reason why they stopped doing Honda's and Japanese containers after I left lol.
When companies don't value their experts, they lose business after the employees leave. Cough Cough....Auto Adventure lol

Last edited by jdmboyef9; 03-08-2011 at 07:41 PM.

Quick Reply: The Hunt for Discontinued Parts Thread