Notices

HOWTO: Happy clutch cable.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOWTO: Happy clutch cable.

i'll keep this short and to the point.

there is a rubber bushing on the end of the clutch cable. it introduces slop that is welcome in a stock performance / general populus driver configuration.

if you [mostly] defeat the rubber piece's influence (i.e. one way is by wrapping it in mechanics wire, as shown in the pic below)...and then route the clutch cable carefully (i.e. watch your bend angles) and clamp the cable down nicely (you can see 3 of the clamps in the pic below)....

then you should have a very nice feeling from your cable clutch and perhaps find that the little adjustment wheel seems to a be a bit more effective in terms of granularity.

the clutch cable i am using is a DA cable but these concepts apply to the ED or EF cable as well. the most effect will probably be seen with a non-stock (i.e. HD) clutch & PP set

The end result is that the pedal movement is being applied to the clutch lever arm as opposed to whipping the cable around the bay (i.e. when you have no clamps), chafing the cable innards (bad bending) or compressing the bushing (stock cable end rubber).

Old 02-16-2005, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the info. - poke.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (pokemon)

what exactly is mechanics wire? Looks like solder...but i'd guess it's not?

Vince
Old 02-16-2005, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AgentJam)

i like how you clamped the cable to the neuspeed bar... i'm gonna steal that idea for sure. what did you wrap under the hose clamps? looks like a rubber ring of sorts...
Old 02-17-2005, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AgentJam)

mechanics wire. u know. steel wire. u can buy it at the hardware store. use stainless. u can use some other technique besides wrapping it in wire... the goal is just to defeat the slop introduced by that piece of rubber on the end of the cable.

as for the **** under the clamps..i took the anti-chafe black foam sleeves that were around some of my stock D-series (coolant?) hoses and cut it into strips to go under the clamps...

im curious to see other people try this setup and here their experiences.. i know it made all the difference in my clutch's feel.. i'd imagine it would be a huge help with HASport hydro kit if they are using a stock cable..
Old 02-17-2005, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (alexdog69)

Its also known as safety wire. Sounds like a good idea! Ill do it this weekend and reply...
Old 02-17-2005, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOWTO: Happy clutch cable. (alexdog69)

saw this in your project thrend, tought it was a smart idea
Old 02-17-2005, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOWTO: Happy clutch cable. (CRX_Control)

i'll have to try it this weekend. my clutch cable definatley need some attention.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:24 PM

Yeah thats a pretty old school trick, use tie wire "wire that is used to tie rebar together".... Or stainless to be bling spec
Old 02-17-2005, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOWTO: Happy clutch cable. (Widebody1)

but you would think that honda did that for a reason, to release tension mabe so that the clutch cable would have something to fall back on incase it gets too stressed out .
Old 02-17-2005, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX_Control &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but you would think that honda did that for a reason, to release tension mabe so that the clutch cable would have something to fall back on incase it gets too stressed out . </TD></TR></TABLE>

im under the impression that it's done to make grandma more comfy with her shitty stock clutch when driving to church. wrapping it made my aftermarket B-series clutch & pressure plate set feel more like the stock D-series did.. and made the adjustment wheel a lot more effective. my left foot thanked me. besides, the bushing is not 100% defeated. and u can always unwind it if u try it and it sux0rs

that rubber piece was not designed with a heavy duty clutch & PP in mind... thus, the bushing ends up introduces much more slop than it did when it was stock because of the extra load on it. this is the key.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOWTO: Happy clutch cable. (alexdog69)

so....it's the weekend.... any bleeding edge pioneers try it yet ? :-)
Old 02-19-2005, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive always found that a hose clamp works nicely, and u can snug the ****** down to.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:41 PM

Default Re: (phatrick2332)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by phatrick2332 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive always found that a hose clamp works nicely, and u can snug the ****** down to.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Around the rubber bushing?
Old 02-19-2005, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes
Old 02-20-2005, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (phatrick2332)

i did this today(used a hose clamp). i have the exedy organic clutch on my b16. it did make a quit a difference. i can now actually tell the exact point were the clutch ingauges. for under a buck and about 5 minutes of installing i would definatley recommend doing this if you have an aftermarket clutch.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:55 PM

Default Re: (coot_er)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by coot_er &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i did this today(used a hose clamp). i have the exedy organic clutch on my b16. it did make a quit a difference. i can now actually tell the exact point were the clutch ingauges. for under a buck and about 5 minutes of installing i would definatley recommend doing this if you have an aftermarket clutch.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sweet you talked me into it...my ACT HDSS kit is getting a taste of it tomorrow baby!!!!

Vince
Old 02-20-2005, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im confused on what it does? can i get pics of the hose clamp way?
Old 02-20-2005, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mefain)

theres really no need for a pic. buy the right sized hose clamp and slip it on so its on the rubber only and tighten it down. i didn't even need to take the cable off, i could do it with it still attached to the arm.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as for what it does, with a aftermarket pressure plate it takes more force to disengauge it. the little rubber piece on the end of the clutch cable absorbs alot of the presure being applied to the pp because it expands. when you but the hose clamp on it you are keeping it from expanding, resulting in all of the force being transfered to the PP.
Old 02-20-2005, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm going to do the mod when I put the "good" YS1 into my CRX next weekend. I just dropped the S1 out today. The YS1 has an ACT 6-puck disc with heavy-duty pressure plate. Hopefully it will have an OEM LSD, too.

Should be a pretty nice tranny with some 'bite.'
Old 02-21-2005, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i put a hose clamp on it....not sure what im suppose to feel? i guess i gotta drive it to notice, what exactly am i gunna feel?
Old 02-25-2005, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for this very rudimentary but nearly-free, nearly-unknown-by-the-scene yet utterly pleasant mod :-)
Old 02-25-2005, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (alexdog69)

Very awesome, my crx will be recieving a hose clamp on the bushing soon.

On a related note, I found that while sitting it traffic, the clutch would start to make the car creep. It seems the cable would get hot and stretch a little. My clutchmasters clutch engages very low, so it would start to engage. My solution was to get some reflective heat wrap from Jegs and wrap the whole line under the hood, securing with wire ties. It hasn't been a problem since.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:10 PM

Default Re: (drdisco69)

I'll try this and see if my clutch gets a lil softer. I broken a clutch pedal before dont wanna change that **** again.

Quick Reply: HOWTO: Happy clutch cable.