HOW TO: Retrofitting non-seat belted doors to a seat-belted door'd CRX; The complete guide

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (stegs)

I've done this twice and the belts never buckled into the 90 buckles...
Old 07-18-2008, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (AK_CRX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AK_CRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've done this twice and the belts never buckled into the 90 buckles... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Were the buckles broken? The will not latch if so of course.

The difference could be that I used DA teg belts. However, I did compare the latch hook between the 90 door belts removed and the DA belts I installed. In the case of both the metal latch hook was identical.

The 90 buckles are easily broken if you aren't careful buckling them. I broke 3 of them with the old belts since by nature the door mounted system is very easy to insert the latch crooked. The door belted latch is very awkward to buckle since it pivots.

I don't mind telling you that since I put the DA belts in and have been continuing to use the 90 buckles, I haven't broken one yet.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

both my buckles worked fine... neither one accepts the 88 belt... Must be just a da belt thing, not a bad idea. I don;t think I've ever seen a da that didn't have power belts, is it just the rs?
Old 07-21-2008, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AK_CRX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AK_CRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">both my buckles worked fine... neither one accepts the 88 belt... Must be just a da belt thing, not a bad idea. I don;t think I've ever seen a da that didn't have power belts, is it just the rs?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I meant DC acura integra like in my first post.

The 88 buckle and belt may be different.

I chose the DC as it was a chance to get a fresher/cleaner belt, (in my case from a 1998 model year).
Old 07-21-2008, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Some more work done this weekend. Found some additional fixing that needed attention.

Next up is cutting the donor jambs to fit and tac welding them on over the exhisting jambs for trial fitment.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:25 PM
inh
Honda-Tech Member

In for results, I just got some VT door panels that I wanted to put on my 88 doors and put the doors on my 91 Si..
Old 01-13-2009, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I will get this updated, I am starting work on this part of my project again soon
Old 04-14-2009, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW TO: Retrofitting non-seat belted doors to a seat-belted door'd CRX; The compl

any updates. your original pics aren't working now either.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW TO: Retrofitting non-seat belted doors to a seat-belted door'd CRX; The compl

Originally Posted by crxcess
any updates. your original pics aren't working now either.
Sorry about the pics, check them again, they should still be active with their host.

UPdate yes, some coming, sorry for the wait. Basically the white donor pieces I cut too short. I just found another pair of donor jambs and am preparing them for installation. I'll be removing the rear glass to weld in the 88 panels over the 90 jambs. You'll see what I am talking about. Although removing the glass is tricky for a novice, it will ensure the least amount of welding and cutting/test fitting. Besides the glass is coming out for paint. My glass urethane kit just came in and I am prepping the donor metal now. Big update coming soon, hang tight, I'll get this updated.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So you are going to just lay the 88 metal over top of the 90? Earlier you mentioned the weatherstripping getting mashed until it tears.

So basically, the striker is in the same place, but the 90 jamb sticks out further as it goes from the striker up the door frame. you are going to trim back the protruding areas, and lay the 88 metal over top of it. so you aren't really affecting the structure of the door frame at all.

hehe, I know I could wait to see what you mean, but I am contemplating the same thing, and am too curious to wait for pictures!

Last edited by crxcess; 04-14-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crxcess
So you are going to just lay the 88 metal over top of the 90? Earlier you mentioned the weatherstripping getting mashed until it tears.

So basically, the striker is in the same place, but the 90 jamb sticks out further as it goes from the striker up the door frame. you are going to trim back the protruding areas, and lay the 88 metal over top of it. so you aren't really affecting the structure of the door frame at all.

hehe, I know I could wait to see what you mean, but I am contemplating the same thing, and am too curious to wait for pictures!
No I am not going to lay them over top. Basically think of it as a skin graft. I will be removing just the top outer panel. There are still 3 and in some places 4 sheets of stamped framed metal beneath. I am only swapping in the top layer which is shapped differently. I don't want to weaken anything structural.

Yes the striker catch will not be touched. I'll just be removing the top layer from about an inch or so above that and then the whole way up to the roof. Its going to be a lot of fine cutting with a dremel tool. You don't want to go very deep and cut into the frame so the car folds up. I will probably tac weld in temporary support bars just to be safe, like they do on those speed channel shows.

There is a high spot on the 90 jamb that when using the 88 door jamb pinches the rubber seal. I am hoping (fingers crossed) that beneath that there isnt' any frame. I dented mine in with a hammer and it compressed enough, so I think its only surface metal with no structure beneath.

My new rockers will be in tomorrow so all the other time intensive welding/cutting will begin soon. The honda dealer told me I got the last two rocker panels in the US, sorry guys.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

SUCCESS, the jamb graft welding and pre-finish work is complete. Pics to come very soon. I reassembled the car and have tested it at speed....no wind or air no leaks anymore. Water pressure tests very good for old door seals too! I am so friggen happy to have this behind me now. This was quite an involved process not to be taken lightly. I have about 40 hours of metal work alone in this project.

Tons of pics to come, give a me few days to find a decent host to store them...
Old 10-05-2009, 03:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Any chance we can get these pics? I'm debating whether to just get an 88 shell or keep my 91 and do this.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is how I did my swap and every thing worked out great. I used my 90hf hinges and 88 si doors. I added the seatbelt mounts where needed. I used the outer door weather seal from my 90 doors and used it on the 88 doors. It is a little bit bigger and it covers better. No leaks no windnoise. They could be a little tighter fit.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

as the original pic links were broken here are my pics in detail showing the door jamb mods.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2661469...7630344304672/