Notices

how do u run ur radiator fan to a switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do u run ur radiator fan to a switch

well the fan on my radiator isnt plugged up so i was just wondering how i can run it to a switch so i can turn it on wenever i can.cause i dont just wanna run it straight to the batter becuz then ill have to keep unplugging in so ya i just wanna no how to run it to a switch thnx ahead of time
Old 04-18-2006, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how do u run ur radiator fan to a switch (beatthisspeed69)

i tried the same thing today and my battery got drained, so how do you run it from a switch?
Old 04-18-2006, 05:36 PM

my old car used to have it to a switch but i cant remember how it was wired..i thought all u had to do was get the wires from the green plug on the radiator and run them to the battery then run the wires from the batter to a switch but my fan just stays on and the switch doesnt turn it off or on so i must be doing something wrong....does n e one no how to run it to a switch????
Old 04-18-2006, 05:55 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beatthisspeed69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well the fan on my radiator isnt plugged up so i was just wondering how i can run it to a switch so i can turn it on wenever i can.cause i dont just wanna run it straight to the batter becuz then ill have to keep unplugging in so ya i just wanna no how to run it to a switch thnx ahead of time </TD></TR></TABLE>

n e one
Old 04-18-2006, 06:41 PM

c'mon no one noes how to do this or wat
Old 04-18-2006, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

its pretty simple actually. i did it with an old defroster switch, mounts next to the sunroof switch. kinda cool, oem look. even has a lighted power indicator.

find this two wire plug on the back of the engine.
http://www.we-todd-did-racing....x.jpg
then take the yellow/green wire out. get another wire and strip the end, and stuff it in the yellow/green plug, and plug it back in so the stripped end is stuck in with the terminal. connect that wire to a relay and switch, and then ground the relay/switch. easy! press the switch on, it will ground that yellow/green wire which then switches on the radiator fan relay. best thing is that this does not interrupt the normal fan switch either.

more info.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=626001
Old 04-18-2006, 06:58 PM

do u have n e pics of wat to do cause im kind of confused about the part wen u take the yellow/green wire out so if u have a write up with pics i will greatly appreciate it
Old 04-18-2006, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what 12 volt+ can you use
Old 04-18-2006, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (beatthisspeed69)

Another way is take the fat plug directly from the radiator fan, it has two wires coming from it. One is positive and one is negative. Ground the negative, and run a long *** wire from the positive inside the car to an on/off switch. Most on/off switches have two terminals on them, the switch acts like a breaker. Connect the wire from the fan to one terminal and the other terminal connect it to any "hot" wire underneath the dash, preferrably one that only gets power when the ignition is on. You can add an inline fuse or relay for peace of mind. That is the "ghetto style" way you can do it. Good luck whichever way you go
Old 04-18-2006, 08:25 PM

ok i hooked it all up and stuff now but wen i turn the switch off the fan doesnt go off it just slows down a lot and u can feel and see the wires get realy realy hot wat can be the problem. why do the wires get hot and y wen i turn the switch off it only slows down and wen i turn it on it goes regular???
Old 04-18-2006, 08:42 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beatthisspeed69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok i hooked it all up and stuff now but wen i turn the switch off the fan doesnt go off it just slows down a lot and u can feel and see the wires get realy realy hot wat can be the problem. why do the wires get hot and y wen i turn the switch off it only slows down and wen i turn it on it goes regular???</TD></TR></TABLE>

c'mon any one know what the problem is
Old 04-18-2006, 09:31 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beatthisspeed69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok i hooked it all up and stuff now but wen i turn the switch off the fan doesnt go off it just slows down a lot and u can feel and see the wires get realy realy hot wat can be the problem. why do the wires get hot and y wen i turn the switch off it only slows down and wen i turn it on it goes regular???</TD></TR></TABLE>

c'mon someone has to no this i no a lot of pple do this
Old 04-18-2006, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how do u run ur radiator fan to a switch (Tyson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its pretty simple actually. i did it with an old defroster switch, mounts next to the sunroof switch. kinda cool, oem look. even has a lighted power indicator.

find this two wire plug on the back of the engine.
http://www.we-todd-did-racing....x.jpg
then take the yellow/green wire out. get another wire and strip the end, and stuff it in the yellow/green plug, and plug it back in so the stripped end is stuck in with the terminal. connect that wire to a relay and switch, and then ground the relay/switch. easy! press the switch on, it will ground that yellow/green wire which then switches on the radiator fan relay. best thing is that this does not interrupt the normal fan switch either.

more info.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=626001</TD></TR></TABLE>

Does it matter which way round the wires go on to this plug? I just put the loom back on my b16 and am a little unsure as to whether it matters
Old 04-18-2006, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sixty-seven point six)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sixty-seven point six &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Another way is take the fat plug directly from the radiator fan, it has two wires coming from it. One is positive and one is negative. Ground the negative, and run a long *** wire from the positive inside the car to an on/off switch. Most on/off switches have two terminals on them, the switch acts like a breaker. Connect the wire from the fan to one terminal and the other terminal connect it to any "hot" wire underneath the dash, preferrably one that only gets power when the ignition is on. You can add an inline fuse or relay for peace of mind. That is the "ghetto style" way you can do it. Good luck whichever way you go </TD></TR></TABLE>

This is how I did mine and it works wonderfully.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Maxpower350)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Maxpower350 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what 12 volt+ can you use</TD></TR></TABLE>

you dont need to hook up to any 12V. just ground.

you got some major short issues. read my instructions again.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Tyson)

would it have the same effect if i spliced the wire instead, cuz my setup isnt reallyu like that....cuz theres no plug that i can pull out, its all incased in rubber
Old 04-19-2006, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (richboi)

remove the rubber boot. youll see it underneath.

youre free to splice, i just dont like cutting any stock harness.

glad you found it tho.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:44 AM

Default Re: how do u run ur radiator fan to a switch (Maxpower350)

hey what i normally do is just run the hot wire+ to the positive side of the battery run a toggle switch on the inside of the car for the ground side. so positive to battery and run the ground in the car to a ground like a screw. and run it back to the fan so when you turn the switch on it powers the fan up
Old 04-19-2006, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks alot man........
Old 04-19-2006, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (richboi)

you know if you just tap into one of the wires on the plug leading to the fan it will turn on as soon as you turn the ignition to start so it on all the time
Old 04-19-2006, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hamstr323)

leaving the fan on constantly is a good way to burn out a fan motor.

Old 04-19-2006, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3 years strait & no problems so I don't know what you are talking about???
Old 04-19-2006, 10:41 AM

Here you go:

Old 04-19-2006, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (djphonics)

damn thats the best pix i've ever seen...thanks tho......i jus did wat...tyson did...it works fyne.........no positive or nuttin needed..
Old 04-19-2006, 11:43 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you got some major short issues. read my instructions again.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well how do i fix that... i suck at wiring and so i dont no **** about it...i did it the way the other guys said it just by getting a long *** wire running it to the switch inside the car and then grounding it or something like that...so how do i fix the shortage issues

Quick Reply: how do u run ur radiator fan to a switch