Notices

H22A CRX Cali Smog/BAR

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22A CRX Cali Smog/BAR

I have tried to search this forum as well as other forums and haven't been able to find the proper information I need. I've read a lot of threads about the H22A swap into a CRX and have seen some conflicting information.

I am considering a H22A swap into my 90 CRX Si. I live in California and I want to do the swap so that it will pass the smog and get BAR'd. I want to go with a JDM H22A rather than the USDM H22A because it has slightly better performance specs with respect to hp/tq. What's holding me back is that I heard the regulation on swapping to a JDM motor is only allowed from like vehicles (ie. CRX to CRX not Prelude to CRX). I have a few questions that I hope someone can help me out with:

1. Can a JDM H22A swapped into a CRX be Smogged/BAR'd?
2. If so, how did you do that (ECU, Sensors, ??)?
3. What makes the JDM H22A have better performance specs than the USDM H22A (Block internals? Head components? ECU? or?)
4. Can a USDM H22A Block be used with everything else JDM and pass smog and get BAR'd?

If a JDM H22A is not an option, I am considering a USDM version. I heard that the USDM H22A can be smogged/BAR'd but have not seen anyone confirm that it is possible in Cali.

1. Can a USDM H22A swapped into a CRX be smogged/BAR'd?
2. If so, what did you do to make sure the vehicle smogged and the BAR ref pass it on all the visuals (What ECU, Exhaust Manifold, Catalytic Converter, Cluster, sensors, wiring, and/or? did the BAR ref check and made the swap smoggable)?

Please chime in if you have informative, real life experience or knowledge with respect to smogging/BAR'ing a H22A swap in a CRX. Thanks in advance for all your help.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22A CRX Cali Smog/BAR

try this
http://www.bar.ca.gov/
Old 07-28-2009, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just recently bar'd my gsr crx and it wasn't as bad as i thought. you can not use jdm motors for swaps anymore (yes cali is that gay now) so usdm is your only option. you'll need the ecu for the motor your using and must have everything connected (ie. purge solinoids, egr, o2 etc..) your also gonna want to have a recipt or bill of sell for the swap to prove it's not stolen. as for the inspection it is only visual now, don't need to pass the sniffer. so if its a gross poluter but everything else is in check, your golden!! its also $0.00 to bar now.

as far as what parts to use(ie exhaust mani, intake mani, intake, cat, ecu etc..) must be usdm prelude items or carb approved parts for a prelude NOT crx.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by m_shake
just recently bar'd my gsr crx and it wasn't as bad as i thought. you can not use jdm motors for swaps anymore (yes cali is that gay now) so usdm is your only option. you'll need the ecu for the motor your using and must have everything connected (ie. purge solinoids, egr, o2 etc..) your also gonna want to have a recipt or bill of sell for the swap to prove it's not stolen. as for the inspection it is only visual now, don't need to pass the sniffer. so if its a gross poluter but everything else is in check, your golden!! its also $0.00 to bar now.

as far as what parts to use(ie exhaust mani, intake mani, intake, cat, ecu etc..) must be usdm prelude items or carb approved parts for a prelude NOT crx.
m-shake, where did you go for the ref. there are 2 close to me in the oc, but not passing the sniffer sounds like a good place to go. Also $0 to bar is perfect cause I expect to have to make several trips.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:25 PM
Ldo
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my JDM GSR motored BAR'd in my CRX. But it was at the beginning of this year before they banned the JDM motors (or so I heard). It was more difficult back then with the sniffer test. I took it to the Ref at Golden West College.

I don't know much about H22A, but what year is your motor from? For the CRX, anything 96 and newer is impossible to get BAR'd due to OBD2 conversion issue. So, what motor comes in the 94-95 Preludes?
Old 07-28-2009, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ldo
I got my JDM GSR motored BAR'd in my CRX. But it was at the beginning of this year before they banned the JDM motors (or so I heard). It was more difficult back then with the sniffer test. I took it to the Ref at Golden West College.

I don't know much about H22A, but what year is your motor from? For the CRX, anything 96 and newer is impossible to get BAR'd due to OBD2 conversion issue. So, what motor comes in the 94-95 Preludes?
Right now I'm just trying to find out what type of H22A to swap. Does anyone where it's documented that JDM motors are no longer allowed? This might be a dumb question but why can't I go with OBD2 for my CRX?
Old 07-28-2009, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

to be safe,call the referee. if you want you can BAR with a usdm and then swap out for the jdm motor. i have heard of people claimging to have "bar'ed there h22" but have yet to prove it. i dont think it will be possible. but to be sure call the referee
Old 07-28-2009, 05:06 PM
Vietnamese!

Anything is possible.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ALLxMOTOR EG
Anything is possible.
true anything is possible, but will it be legal.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ALLxMOTOR EG
Anything is possible.
Is that right?...

I think it is possible but "how" is the big question.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crx_si-r
to be safe,call the referee. if you want you can BAR with a usdm and then swap out for the jdm motor. i have heard of people claimging to have "bar'ed there h22" but have yet to prove it. i dont think it will be possible. but to be sure call the referee
I tried to call the ref, but I was only allowed to make an appointment through some answering service.

Does anyone have a direct phone number for any of the Orange county, CA BAR refs?
Old 07-29-2009, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if your lucky enough you could talk to them while they are between appointments. or make an appointment and talk to them instead, tell them you want to make sure it can be done and that you have it done right.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:01 AM
Ldo
Honda-Tech Member

Just stop by their place and talk to them. You don't need an appointment just to ask them a question.

As far as getting an H22 BAR'd, I don't think it's impossible at all, as long as the motor is from 92-95, and you get the USDM OBD1 ECU, intake & exhaust manifold, cat converter all from those same years. It's not a truck engine, so it should be any different than the B series requirements. OBD2 is harder since there are more smog related sensors & hardwares to deal with, including the fuel delivery system, which basically means you have to swap the entire fuel tank over.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to my local ref which is at the santa rosa junior college, but i think the visual only is the standard now.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ldo
Just stop by their place and talk to them. You don't need an appointment just to ask them a question.

As far as getting an H22 BAR'd, I don't think it's impossible at all, as long as the motor is from 92-95, and you get the USDM OBD1 ECU, intake & exhaust manifold, cat converter all from those same years. It's not a truck engine, so it should be any different than the B series requirements. OBD2 is harder since there are more smog related sensors & hardwares to deal with, including the fuel delivery system, which basically means you have to swap the entire fuel tank over.
So is that why I haven't seen any CRXs with OBD2 set ups in Cali? I thought by now, someone would have figured a way to do it as well as for the evap part of the test rather than swaping fuel tanks. With the K20 being so popular nowadays, I would think that some out there is trying to do an OBD2 engine in a CRX in Cali.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by caragan11
So is that why I haven't seen any CRXs with OBD2 set ups in Cali? I thought by now, someone would have figured a way to do it as well as for the evap part of the test rather than swaping fuel tanks. With the K20 being so popular nowadays, I would think that some out there is trying to do an OBD2 engine in a CRX in Cali.
I am considering an H22a1 or a4 at this point, I think I'm confident that I can get it BAR'd with some effort.

BUT... I am very tempted to do a K20a2 in my crx and be the first one BAR'd in Cali. Unless I've missed out and someone's done it on a crx before...
Old 10-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would think it would be possible to get it bar'd

EGR hooked up and functioning properly
P13 ecu
Good exhaust setup, good cat, good muffler, NO CEL's, good tune
Old 10-07-2009, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why would you want to go obd2. just get the long block from the obd2 and use the obd1 emission components. i.e. intake manifold with sensors.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EF-Devotion
why would you want to go obd2. just get the long block from the obd2 and use the obd1 emission components. i.e. intake manifold with sensors.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought H22A4s were OBD2. If I use the block that says H22A4, the ref is going to be looking for all the OBD2 emissions components, right?
Old 10-16-2009, 03:57 PM
Ldo
Honda-Tech Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought H22A4s were OBD2. If I use the block that says H22A4, the ref is going to be looking for all the OBD2 emissions components, right?
That's right. Also, if your motor is JDM, they no longer approve such swap. This has come into effect about a year ago.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it apparently started july and if your looking for the usdm h22 go for the 93 and up because the 92 is jdm they didnt introduce the prelude vtec usdm one till 93. im also considering a h22 for my ef9 but having the same prob getting a hold of the ref in sd and i think a 95 and up or i think 94 needs a vin on engine and tranny so be careful.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what is the smog rule about old cars dont even need to be smoged? 30 years right? we are almost there. lol
Old 10-16-2009, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mog
what is the smog rule about old cars dont even need to be smoged? 30 years right? we are almost there. lol
aint never gonna happen...that smog exempt status only applies to vehicles that are from 1975 and older so all of us ef owners are SOL
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2536
Old 10-16-2009, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i swore it was 30 years+ vehicles because after 30 years the emission rules have increased so much that its hard to keep the same car smog-able. guess i was wrong. ><
Old 10-16-2009, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

H22 on Propane would probably pass bar.

Quick Reply: H22A CRX Cali Smog/BAR