Notices

GOT IN WRECK! radiator pushed together...oxygen sensorHELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GOT IN WRECK! radiator pushed together...oxygen sensorHELP!

i got in a wreck on my driver side front bumper... it bent the frame bacck a little.... bent my radiator so they both touch...... the fan metal guard rest against the pressed up oxygen sensor
anyone have this problem>>>
can someone give me ideas of how to pull the fan back and straighten the radiator...
or direct me to some site that will greatly help.....
no money so dont say buy a new radiator...
Old 11-01-2008, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GOT IN WRECK! radiator pushed together...oxygen sensorHELP! (midgetguitarist)

if u have no knowladge or experience in collision repair ur SOL bro. there isnt anything u can do about it. i would find a Collision repair facility and get an estimate for the repairs.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GOT IN WRECK! radiator pushed together...oxygen sensorHELP! (tico)

yeah your right im just trying to make sure i can do all i cando before it comes to that......
one step at a time....
Old 11-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GOT IN WRECK! radiator pushed together...oxygen sensorHELP! (midgetguitarist)

You can try pulling the front end out yourself. This may cause more damage and make the car more expensive to fix correctly, but if you need something to get you by for now it may be worth a shot.

I recently hit a coyote with my EF. It busted the front bumper and radiator and bent the radiator support a little. I didn't have your problem, but my hood wouldn't shut after I replaced the radiator.

I used a "come-along" which is a steel cable with hooks on either end and a crank in the middle to tighten the cable. I hooked one end to the top of the rad. support and the other end around a tree and slowly pulled it back into shape.

Something like that may help you. You can also just use a chain or strong rope and back the car up to pull it out, but just be careful if you do it that way.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Come-along or BIG ratchet strap to tree

Small hydro bottle jack between block and bent metal

You have a good chance at breaking something doing these two things

I would highly reccomend that you DO NOT tie a rope or chain around a tree then start the car and put it in reverse. If the line breaks in the right spot and there is enough tension the rope/chain can fly back at the windshield like Indy's whip (Pre-Crystal Skull style)
Old 11-01-2008, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In the body shop, we always put heavy welding blankets on top of the tight cables while pulling, that way if it breaks the blankets will dampen it's energy, also there were smaller wires you could hook to the taut cable to hold it safely.

You could get the frame work done at a shop, then do the rest yourself. You don't need an oxygen sensor to get you down the road. If you radiator doesn't leak now, then don't bend it or it may start to leak. Many times I saw a radiator support replacement, if the radiator didn't leak they would reuse it and did not try and bend it back straight. btw, you can unbolt the upper radiator support crossmember and replace it with one from a junkyard.

If your fan hits, your radiator, I imagine you could remove the upper radiator mounts which would allow it to tilt forward a couple inches with the fan (because it's attached to the rad). Then you may have to tie the hood down as I doubt it would close with the radiator like that. You would want to tie down the radiator some other way, bent coat hanger? or bungee cords? GL
Old 11-02-2008, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (therotaryrocket)

PICS
Old 11-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IndySporty)

ill put some pics up to show...
its not too bad but i want to get it pushed out a little so the fan doesnt touch the o.s.
also anyone know where a cheap place to order a front windshield is?
Old 11-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cheapest windshield? on hondamarketplace.com or the junkyard.

If you get one new it will probably cost more than paying someone to replace it. or in my case $160 to pay for replacement or I can buy a windshield for $142 then spend about $20 bucks on the epoxy.....