Notices

Flooded Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 11:00 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flooded Car

My car was affected by Hurricane Harvey and had 3 inches (at least) of water inside. How do we take out the carpet to shop vac underneath and clean carpet?
Old 08-31-2017, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Re: Flooded Car

you didn't say what car - this is for the CRX - Civic would be similar

Old 08-31-2017, 09:16 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Sadly, vacuuming up the water will not fix the now compromised wiring (amongst other problem areas that weren't designed to see heavy moisture). Do you have a decent insurance plan? If so, they should be prepared to give you money to replace the vehicle.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by toyomatt84
Sadly, vacuuming up the water will not fix the now compromised wiring (amongst other problem areas that weren't designed to see heavy moisture). Do you have a decent insurance plan? If so, they should be prepared to give you money to replace the vehicle.
Please don't write off your CRX/Civic. Really hate seeing these things in the junkyard.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Slade Exulis
Please don't write off your CRX/Civic. Really hate seeing these things in the junkyard.
He doesn't really have a choice, unless he wanted to completely strip the car...
Old 09-01-2017, 09:25 AM
Touching My Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may get lucky, I had a Cowl leak years ago that left my Civic with a good inch or two of water. I removed everything, dried it all, applied CRC Di-Electric grease to all of the connectors, and it all turned out fine. My ECU was mounted up high, under the dash, so it didn't come into contact with water.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If he hasn't gotten to it yet, the damage is most likely significant enough that new wiring will have to be (or definitely should have to be) replaced, new rust or accelerated previously existing rust will take over, etc. I went through Hurricane Andrew in 92 in New Orleans with my CRX, and luckily I was in one of the few high areas and the car was unaffected, but peoples' cars kept having issues for long after the storm with sudden loss of power or battery drains. And Andrew was a little bitch compared to this. My best advice would be to take the insurance money and run or take the money, and buy back the car with the understanding that it's a shell at this point and anything else that is salvageable is lagniappe.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by toyomatt84
ON newer cars, yeah, but on a car 26 years old, NO WAY.
Insurance values these at like 300 bucks.

There is NO replacement for a CRX.

Do not even contact insurance.

Take carpet out.
All connectors, spray Water Displacer 40 (wd-40) at the ends of the connectors and where the wires enter the terminals. Then, before you plug the connectors back in, use Dielectric grease liberally.
Carpet, either power wash and let dry in sun, or replace it with new carpet.
Might not hurt to spray some Rustoleum on your seat tracks, the mounting bolt heads etc. Use Anti-Seize on all the bolts and screws as you fasten stuff back up.

Good luck. These cars are small/tiny. Means cleaning it inside is pretty simple since it is not very large to clean. Also, manual windows, manual locks, etc, not much electrical to go wrong on it. Not like a new car with all the gadgets that will fail and short out.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:57 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by bheinen74
ON newer cars, yeah, but on a car 26 years old, NO WAY.
Insurance values these at like 300 bucks.
This is all true. However, you're assuming this user actually owns a CR-X/EF. We've had enough recent postings in wrong forums, that it very well could be a different Honda all-together.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Seeing Miami pictures....flooded