Notices

Finally, my new (to me) CRX! What do you guys think? LOTS OF PICS 56K BEWARE

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally, my new (to me) CRX! What do you guys think? LOTS OF PICS 56K BEWARE

Ok I've been looking for a clean near stock CRX HF for months now since I want it for the mileage aspect, not trying to make it a sports car since I already have two decently fast cars (350Z and Datsun 510 with a KA24DE swap).

I've traveled all the way back East to Virginia/Washington DC to look at some, went to LA and Sacramento to look at ones there too...but all were beaters (literally). Then I found this one locally in San Francisco and made sure I was the first to look at it.

Anyway here is lowdown:

- 1991 CRX HF
- 147K miles
- Stock engine/transmission
- Timing Belt & Water Pump done 2 months ago (reciepts)
- Clutch and front axles replaced 1 year ago (reciepts)
- Smogged
- 15" wheels with new tires
- Clean title (via carfax)
- Nice Exterior/Interior and drives great!
- Just missing the B pillar plastic trim on the drivers side...so if any of you guys have one, I'M LOOKING FOR THAT!

BONUSES owner didn't mention in original ad
- Alarm with power locks -
- Coilovers -
- Speakers in doors (clean install) -
- Fog lights (BIG ) YUCK
- Fart Can Muffler (another ) can you say EEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

The things I need to do are to vacuum it, get some floor mats, slap on some plain seat covers, and I already bought but have to do the oil filter, oil change, fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, distributor cap/rotor...just so I know when the cycle to replace these things is.

Well enough words...here are some pics!

Soon to swap out the 15's for these
Old 06-02-2006, 07:46 PM

Default Re: Finally, my new (to me) CRX! What do you guys think? LOTS OF PICS 56K BEWARE (97SS)

Nice Rex , those fog light gotta go though.
And try to pick up a new trim peice for the driverside window panel .
Paint looks very clean , inside not to shabby either.
Good find.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finally, my new (Rex-Si)

Yeah I know...those lights are the first thing coming off tomorrow morning! I'm looking for that trim piece too but so far no luck .
Old 06-02-2006, 08:26 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

looks to be in VERY good condition...worth the wait i'm guessing haha
Old 06-02-2006, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pr3d)

Hell yeah it was worth the wait...but it didn't look that clean when I picked it up 2 days ago. I spend hours washing it, applying rubbing compound, then applying a polish, then finally finishing it up with a wax application. It looks nice and shiny now.

The one in Sac was an HF but it had a Si swapped in, and it ran like crap, idle was all over the place.

The ones in Virginia/DC were white (boring IMO), rusted out rear panels, f'ed up interiors, big dents, plus it would have cost another $600 to have them shipped back to me, then the smog issue would have popped up.
The one I saw in LA looked very straight but had a poor paint job that wasn't even a close match to the original baby powder blue and it had structural damage which was very poorly repaired, but the title was still clear.

Hopefully I'll find that missing B pillar part, I missed my chance on ebay, both sides went for a whopping $0.99 and $9.99 shipping...still a pretty good price, I just totally forgot to bid on it since I had to go to the DMV to register it this morning.

Modified by 97SS at 9:46 PM 6/2/2006
Old 06-02-2006, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (97SS)

Damn that's a clean *** rex. Can I have it? Yeah those cars are hella hard to find for cheap and the modded ones go 4 cheaper than the stock ones. But who wants an old **** when you can have a virgin ya feel me
Old 06-02-2006, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (thevtecnician)

Here's what it looked like when I went to go see it in So. San Francisco for the first time before the previous owner came out to meet me...notice how the paint didn't have any luster at all and was all oxidized...lots of elbow grease and time in that 4 step wash/rub/polish/wax process makes a big difference doesn't it?

I also replaced those jacked up bent and rusty plates!

Old 06-02-2006, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, great find and good job on cleaning her up!

JG
Old 06-02-2006, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So pretty! You say you'll keep it stock, but we'll see. Even though you have some quick cars, nothing drives like a CRX... well except maybe a go kart
Old 06-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (purplecrx)

Thanks for the compliments, but I'm SURE I'll keep it stock, it's an HF so it's my little joke calling it my 62HP BEAST, my 350Z is plenty fast and my Datsun 510 is nearly as fast too...so I won't be dumping any money on it for any performance things that's for sure.

Here's my other set of rides:
My 510 I'll never sell so I'll be buried in that!
My 350Z while nice I can easily replace/sell without any problem.
My 521 is my Datsun truck beater...looks like a 510 upfront!

I drive my Z everyday but now that I got my CRX it will help save $1600 in gas per year

Old 06-02-2006, 09:42 PM

Default Re: Finally, my new (to me) CRX! What do you guys think? LOTS OF PICS 56K BEWARE (97SS)

Clean Start!
Old 06-02-2006, 09:49 PM

for a 15 year old car you gotta a deal . Thats cleaner the clean . you should of seen my rex when i picked it up, 15 different colors, 1/4" of bondo which seemed to cover the whole car as well as a engine with a blown head gasket good deal
Old 06-02-2006, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Land of the free, whoever told you that is your enemy
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (philkehn)

Damn dude you got quite the stable. That 510 is killer. Not really a 350z fan, but the rest of your collection makes up for it.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (philkehn)

Phil: Yeah I tend to be pretty picky so the others I've seen weren't good enough for me but I could have had one a while back but I really wanted a straight one, minimally modded, lower miles, grey interior, non-white, and it already had some goodies I was planning on getting anyway...the wheels, coilovers, and alarm!

CRXBart: I had a 1994 Civic 4 door for about 9 months when I got really bored with it, so I bought a 97 Prelude and gave the Civic to my dad, then after almost 3 years the tranny blew up on the Prelude, it sounded like if you were to throw some forks/spoons in the garbage disposal then turned it on! So when that happened my friend hooked me up with this couple selling the 350Z for WAY less than I would have paid for it at the dealer, so I got an awesome deal that I just couldn't pass up.
The 510 sickenss is due to it being the first car I ever had when I was 15 and bought one for just $200! So now that I have a good paying job I went out and bought this one for a deal too...but it has the engine swap I wanted, I went out and got the JDM Watanbes wheels straight from Japan, it has a full 6 pt roll cage, perfect stock interior, which I will be swapping out the stock vinyl seats with a spare set of 350Z seats I bought ...so I'll be hooking it up soon! Oh and it keeps up with a coworkers 1997 BMW M3, so it's not a slacker!

Old 06-02-2006, 10:21 PM

Dude sick find ! Those foglights arent that bad, rip off the can, some TLC and you got yourself a cherry Those wheels your gonna put on like tight They look like them 14" HX wheels im dying to have...what are they ?
Old 06-02-2006, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finally, my new (sohc88rex)

Those fog lights look too buggy for me so they're off! The wheels I'm planning on putting on are the 13" VX wheels...very light and since I'm all about MPG's I want to go with less weight on the car...but I'll probably rock them wheels on there now for a while to get a 'baseline' mpg chart, then swap them out and see what if any differnence I'll get.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finally, my new (97SS)

nice find
Old 06-03-2006, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finally, my new (FernEF)

Thanks Fern...I'm about to head out to take off those lights. If I'm up to it I'll change the filters.

Anyone know what the correct gapping is for plugs? I stopped by Pep Boys and Kragens but they didn't have the Chiltan/Hayes Manual for this.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

NICE find!!! goodluck keep the crx's alive !!
Old 06-03-2006, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bravo!
Old 06-03-2006, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so what products do you use to get it from point a to b? looks awesome
Old 06-03-2006, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97SS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Phil: Yeah I tend to be pretty picky so the others I've seen weren't good enough for me but I could have had one a while back but I really wanted a straight one, minimally modded, lower miles, grey interior, non-white, and it already had some goodies I was planning on getting anyway...the wheels, coilovers, and alarm!

CRXBart: I had a 1994 Civic 4 door for about 9 months when I got really bored with it, so I bought a 97 Prelude and gave the Civic to my dad, then after almost 3 years the tranny blew up on the Prelude, it sounded like if you were to throw some forks/spoons in the garbage disposal then turned it on! So when that happened my friend hooked me up with this couple selling the 350Z for WAY less than I would have paid for it at the dealer, so I got an awesome deal that I just couldn't pass up.
The 510 sickenss is due to it being the first car I ever had when I was 15 and bought one for just $200! So now that I have a good paying job I went out and bought this one for a deal too...but it has the engine swap I wanted, I went out and got the JDM Watanbes wheels straight from Japan, it has a full 6 pt roll cage, perfect stock interior, which I will be swapping out the stock vinyl seats with a spare set of 350Z seats I bought ...so I'll be hooking it up soon! Oh and it keeps up with a coworkers 1997 BMW M3, so it's not a slacker!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats one badass engine you got on that thing man..PROPS!!
Old 06-03-2006, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice find. If you keep her running smooth and clean you can get upwards of 50 mpg! I did on my 89 CRX HF from California.

Those wheels that came on it, they aren't the Borbet Type H are they? Heavy *** wheel. How do I know, I've got'em 14x6 though... was in a bind.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finally, my new (BlueCrxNC)

Hey there, yeah I'm leaving it as is for now on it's first full tank (thanks to the previous owner that is ) so I can log how many miles I get with each 'upgrade'.
I've already helped out the drag by removing the front plate and fugly little fog lights, and the wheels you mention are not Borbets...they're Sendels I believe...I haven't taken them off since I'm tempted to leave them since they're brand new tires on them...but when I take them off I'll slap on those light weight VX wheels to see what kind of differnece (if any) they make.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:38 PM

Default Re: Finally, my new (97SS)

that car is nice. but honestly the gas prices dont bother me that much enough to get a new car. yea its more expensive but it doesnt end up being that much more expensive, my civic gets around 35 if im drivin normally but im usually not.

Quick Reply: Finally, my new (to me) CRX! What do you guys think? LOTS OF PICS 56K BEWARE