Notices

FAQ: GM Synchromesh (tranny fluid)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 08:43 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didnt read any posts but my friend had a cable lsd cusco tranny and the only thing that made it not clunk when turning and shifting was

*REDLINE LSD TRANSMISSION FLUID* (not sure if it said lsd or not)

Put it in and probalem solved

Hope this helps
Old 09-30-2005, 05:54 AM

yes, this **** does work. tranny would grind every time going into reverse (no exceptions). only thing that I did was change to GM snycromesh. NOW it never Grinds Reverse. as far as the other High RPM grinds, no it didn't cure that. all low rpm grinds are now gone. I think that it is pretty solid ******* evidence that this **** does work IMO.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cant wait to buy this ****....bump

also got a question if my 3rdgear was poping outwouldit cure that too????
Old 10-05-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Re: (punkracer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by punkracer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cant wait to buy this ****....bump

also got a question if my 3rdgear was poping outwouldit cure that too????</TD></TR></TABLE>

it's possible, seriously U should notice an improvement as soon as U start it up.

let us know how it goes
Old 10-05-2005, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (918-Hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 918-Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How many corts of GM OR Penzoil Synchromesh do I use for my 99 SI tranny? Do I use all Synchromesh or??? Fill me in</TD></TR></TABLE>
take's about 2 qts for me
Old 10-05-2005, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i added some synchromesh modified to my JDM S1 tranny about a month ago. It had a really bad grind in 3rd and a slight one in 4th. the synchromesh got rid of my 4th gear grind completely, but did little for the 3rd gear grind. It worked just as i exected. Im happy with the results
Old 10-05-2005, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (red_EF9Si)

Finally got some for my si tranny i got the gm one FM guess ill post results after 500miles
Old 10-05-2005, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought some 85W-90 gear oil for my YS1.
Is that bad? I was told that the tranny uses regular motor oil but the bottle said it was specifically for manual transmissions.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (knwldge54)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by knwldge54 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I bought some 85W-90 gear oil for my YS1.
Is that bad? I was told that the tranny uses regular motor oil but the bottle said it was specifically for manual transmissions.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wrong weight dude, go for the 10w-30 motor oil or synchromesh
Old 10-05-2005, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fourthgenhatchB17)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fourthgenhatchB17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wrong weight dude, go for the 10w-30 motor oil or synchromesh </TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn! I spent like $5 a bottle. Where can I pick up some GM syncromesh? Only at the dealer?
Old 10-05-2005, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fourthgenhatchB17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Wrong weight dude, go for the 10w-30 motor oil or synchromesh </TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah, if there's something wrong with your tranny. I don't understand why most people can't just put in HONDA MTF. They sell it at the HONDA dealership. It's very straightforward. I put it in my tranny and I no longer have to shift into second before I shift into first. WHY ON EARTH you would put in normal motor oil, much less gear oil, when Honda makes a product specifically for its manual trannies is beyond me.

Dan
Old 10-05-2005, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LudemanDan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LudemanDan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, if there's something wrong with your tranny. I don't understand why most people can't just put in HONDA MTF. They sell it at the HONDA dealership. It's very straightforward. I put it in my tranny and I no longer have to shift into second before I shift into first. WHY ON EARTH you would put in normal motor oil, much less gear oil, when Honda makes a product specifically for its manual trannies is beyond me.

Dan</TD></TR></TABLE>

This shows how little u know. Check a Honda service manual and it will clearly state to use 10W-30/10W-40 (i think the weight depends on your climate) motor oil OR honda MTF. In fact, go ahead and read the back of the Honda MTF bottle and it actually says "Continuous contact with motor oil can cause injury/cancer blah blah blah...." or something to that effect....yea thats right it says "motor oil" on the back.

The synchromesh pretty much has the consistency of a lighter weight motor oil...something tells me you've never seen the stuff.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (knwldge54)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by knwldge54 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Damn! I spent like $5 a bottle. Where can I pick up some GM syncromesh? Only at the dealer?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Pennzoil also makes the stuff, Autozone carries it. Personally the GM stuff (only available at the dealership) works a hair bit better as I've had experience with both.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LudemanDan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, if there's something wrong with your tranny. I don't understand why most people can't just put in HONDA MTF. They sell it at the HONDA dealership. It's very straightforward. I put it in my tranny and I no longer have to shift into second before I shift into first. WHY ON EARTH you would put in normal motor oil, much less gear oil, when Honda makes a product specifically for its manual trannies is beyond me.

Dan</TD></TR></TABLE>

Check this out: I have a B20 w/ a YS1 tranny. I lost the Helms manual for my CRX and don't have one for an integra. So what did I do, I went straight to an Acura dealership. Asked the guy at the counter what I need and he gave me 10W-30 motor oil. He was also saying that they put gear oil in the newer transmissions but I forgot about asking what he means by new (94,2000,2004,2005,etc).

After going to Advance Auto Parts, I ran accross two bottles of Valvoline 85W-90 gear oil. I said to myself "WTF is this?" I read the entire rear and label and it specifically read that it was for use in non-lsd manual transmissions. it costs me like $5 a bottle but if I'd be better off replacing it, I'll do it later today.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah guys, I know Honda recommends 10-30 oil, and that Honda MTF is just oil with some additives. But it still seems like the most appropriate thing to use. I would trust the tranny maker over Valvoline any day. For example, Hondas can only take Honda power steering fluid. But I'm sure some generic brand wouldn't say on its label not to use it in Hondas. It's the same with what you put in your tranny. Please think of your car as unique and be discriminating enough to use the factory recommendations, rather than pulling something off the shelf that might be more appropriate for a Ford pickup.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:23 AM
The Boot

subscribed.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LudemanDan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah guys, I know Honda recommends 10-30 oil, and that Honda MTF is just oil with some additives. But it still seems like the most appropriate thing to use. I would trust the tranny maker over Valvoline any day. For example, Hondas can only take Honda power steering fluid. But I'm sure some generic brand wouldn't say on its label not to use it in Hondas. It's the same with what you put in your tranny. Please think of your car as unique and be discriminating enough to use the factory recommendations, rather than pulling something off the shelf that might be more appropriate for a Ford pickup.</TD></TR></TABLE>

While u make a few great points, you also said that regualr ol' off the shelf 10w-30 motor oil is still a recommended fluid. About other Honda recommended fluids, lets look at their ATF. It does state u can use off the shelf Dexron or whatever as a temp. replacement but it "may cause shifting problems." Honda does not make that same claim when it comes to motor oil use over their MTF in the manual trannys.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i know this might sound stupid but, where do you put the fluid if its a cable tranny?
i have a hella bad grind in my crx si tranny. its a cable tranny btw.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fourthgenhatchB17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">While u make a few great points, you also said that regualr ol' off the shelf 10w-30 motor oil is still a recommended fluid. About other Honda recommended fluids, lets look at their ATF. It does state u can use off the shelf Dexron or whatever as a temp. replacement but it "may cause shifting problems." Honda does not make that same claim when it comes to motor oil use over their MTF in the manual trannys.</TD></TR></TABLE>
True, but still, if you have 2 quarts of Honda 10w-30 and 2 quarts of Honda MTF sitting in front of you, and you have to choose, the only reason not to go with MTF is to save about $4. To me, the fact that they make it at all means that it's a better choice.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mr_Si-R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr_Si-R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i know this might sound stupid but, where do you put the fluid if its a cable tranny?
i have a hella bad grind in my crx si tranny. its a cable tranny btw.</TD></TR></TABLE>
If it's anything like a Prelude tranny, there is a drain bolt on the bottom and a fill bolt behind and above it. Undo the fill bolt first (so you know you can refill it after you drain it). Fill it with a long hose or a pump that you connect to the quart bottles.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good info
Old 10-06-2005, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LudemanDan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
To me, the fact that they make it at all means that it's a better choice. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Plenty of automakers supply their own fluids (brake fluid, ATF, coolant etc) and some of them are actually make/model specific, but most are not. So what you're saying is that because honda makes their own motor oil, you use that in your motor instead of Valvoline or whatever else is on the shelf? lol.

Its just another thing car companies do to make a profit.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fourthgenhatchB17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Plenty of automakers supply their own fluids (brake fluid, ATF, coolant etc) and some of them are actually make/model specific, but most are not. So what you're saying is that because honda makes their own motor oil, you use that in your motor instead of Valvoline or whatever else is on the shelf? lol.

Its just another thing car companies do to make a profit.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Well, it's not like Honda has a petroleum refinery where they make things like motor oil, MTF, etc. Matter of fact, Honda motor oil might even be Valvoline. They don't make their MTF from scratch, but AFAIK, they did write the recipe.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its a crx tranny
Old 10-16-2005, 07:45 PM

Default Re: place to get 12345349

I only read the first few pages of this thread but it seems like people are having trouble finding 12345349, or considering getting it from a dealer. Being a GM guy, I feel obligated to let you guys know that I've found that for GM parts, gmpartsdirect.com is the way to go. Synchromesh is 5 bucks a quart on this site, at least if you're willing to buy 12 quarts. The search algorithm on the page sucks, but if you already know the PN, it's the site to go to. BTW, I plan on putting this stuff in my integra to make it less notchy.

Quick Reply: FAQ: GM Synchromesh (tranny fluid)