Notices

Exhaust proublems

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust proublems

running into a small problem with a project car that im working on. i have a 91 CRX HF with a JDM B16A swap. before anyone asks A? its just a straight up B16A not the A1 or A-whatever its an A. im saying this because im tired or arguing with ppl that my motor doesn't exist. anyways got all the swap finished and took it for a test drive and all that but now i need to put my exhaust together. only thing that i have is some strange aftermarket headers that i got with the car when i bought it and a cat back set up from Megan racing. what i need are the CAT and some strange flex piece. ive got turned down at every shop in town because they keep saying that they cant weld my **** together with out a ****ing cat. so im gonna order one but i dont have a clue which one i need to order ive heard everything from order it for a 91 Intergra to just get one for a 91 crx. can anyone tell me what cat i need to order to get all this **** welded together and finally get to finish this build?
any help is appreciated thanks in advance guys.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhaust proublems

i actually just put my exhaust together on my 91 hatch im running oem b16a header and apexi ws2 catback and i used a 92 integra cat its a very tight fit but its what i was told to use also...
hope that helps
Old 04-18-2009, 01:14 PM
Is Partying at your House

Im running a B16a with a DC header, Skunk2 cat-back, and im using a 00 Civic SI cat. It was a extremely tight fit, but it doesn't leak.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:26 PM

ok both very good suggestions do either of you have a flex type thing somewhere in your exhaust? dude at the local shop told me that if i dont have some kind of a flexy type piping thing in there then the movement from the motor will cause my exhaust to basically fall apart. i hate living in an area where the only cars that any shop will work on have to be ****ing domestics. after my first post i went back to the shop that turned me down this morning to ask some questions. dude had a ****ing mustang on the rack welding an exhaust up with no damn cat. when i pointed it out he shrugged and walked away. damn double standards
Old 04-18-2009, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when i helped hondapimp125 do his exhaust we used a 92 da cat but its a little to long so its a tight fit. the 90-91 cats are shorter and should do the trick. what that guy at that shop is talking about is a flex pipe which some cars do have but hondas use bosal gaskets to allow movement with out the exhaust leaking. the bosal gasket goes on the header and is a curved gasket.

yeah i know what you mean about those type of shops we have a bunch like that around here to...
Old 04-18-2009, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya alot of the hondas do use the donut gaskets and a spring kit. if you wanted you cna just buy your flanges needed and the desired flex size and length and weld on 2 extension pieces and just clamp it into your exaust or weld it in. up to you.
i work at an exhaust shop and we do everything custom. those other guys just want you to dump money into them thats all, and there probably lazy. lol

anything is possible
Old 04-21-2009, 07:14 AM

0k so ive decided to go ahead and just pick up a high flow cat but now im all comfused. i dont have a clue which one that i need to order. would i be ordering one for a 90-91 Integra with GRS, the one for a 93-95 Del Sol with a 1.6, or the one for the 88-91 CRX with a 1.6 in it? only reason that im confused is all the information that ive read so far tells us that if you need mechanical parts for the B16 then you need to order them for the Integra or Delsol however since this is the exhaust you need to be able to follow the crx's natural body lines. im so damn confused now...
Old 04-21-2009, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by shane21085
running into a small problem with a project car that im working on. i have a 91 CRX HF with a JDM B16A swap. before anyone asks A? its just a straight up B16A not the A1 or A-whatever its an A. im saying this because im tired or arguing with ppl that my motor doesn't exist. anyways got all the swap finished and took it for a test drive and all that but now i need to put my exhaust together. only thing that i have is some strange aftermarket headers that i got with the car when i bought it and a cat back set up from Megan racing. what i need are the CAT and some strange flex piece. ive got turned down at every shop in town because they keep saying that they cant weld my **** together with out a ****ing cat. so im gonna order one but i dont have a clue which one i need to order ive heard everything from order it for a 91 Intergra to just get one for a 91 crx. can anyone tell me what cat i need to order to get all this **** welded together and finally get to finish this build?
any help is appreciated thanks in advance guys.
1-someone is a fu**ing idiot to think a b16a doesnt exist.

2-Iknow for a fact o'rielly has flex pipes

3- tell the muffler shop to not write you a ticket so they cant be blamed (no paper trail) and maybe a good tip too.

4-If you are running 2.5" i am pretty sure you can get a high flow cat for a late 90's nissan maxima.... but dont hold me to that.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i wouldn't worry about a flex pipe, honda motors don't tend to shake so much like rwd cars... the main point of the flex pipe is to keep the exhaust from twisting sideways when the motor does cuz of torque... lol

edit: tell your exhaust shop to STFU. just get a universal highflow and have the shop mock it up and weld the flanges on to it when it's the correct length.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:31 PM

both good answers and i will take both into consideration lol