Notices

Door rattle

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door rattle

What's the easiest way to get my door to stop rattling? Not fishing here. I took my pane off my passenger side door and found the rattle. It's the two rods that operate the interior door gandle. They're rattling where they hook and pin into the parts that work the door opening mechanism.
I tried lubricating them but figured it wouldn't work because it's not a squeak. Anyone have any creative suggestions. I can't imagine I'm the first ef owner to have this problem. Lol.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:23 AM
kp
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Door rattle

Originally Posted by the rook
What's the easiest way to get my door to stop rattling? Not fishing here. I took my pane off my passenger side door and found the rattle. It's the two rods that operate the interior door gandle. They're rattling where they hook and pin into the parts that work the door opening mechanism.
I tried lubricating them but figured it wouldn't work because it's not a squeak. Anyone have any creative suggestions. I can't imagine I'm the first ef owner to have this problem. Lol.
You can probably get creative with a block of soft foam to brace the rods. You can likely buy some at a craft store, or cut out a block from a firm couch cushion?
Old 02-25-2016, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll try that today. Thanks for the idea.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The foam eliminated a good part of the vibration. Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:14 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have this too.
But its not that bad,wish I would have thought of the foam block concept when I had my door panel off
Old 02-25-2016, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I removed my panels 4 times, trying various methods and listening for vibration. It's largely due to my innovative motor mounts and b series swap. I have some torsion vibration to say the least. Lol. I have a couple other rattles I'm working on. I also bought the car with some poly bushings already installed. I will be ordering rubber ones very soon.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:05 AM
kp
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the rook
The foam eliminated a good part of the vibration. Thanks for the tip.
Good to hear. I've used foam in the past for similar fixes. It can be attached to a surface and sort of "push" on whatever is rattling. It has enough springyness to keep contact, but won't push on it hard enough to distort or bend anything.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay I figured it out. The metal rods that connect inside the door near the locking mechanism. It hooks inside a plastic bushing. That bushing in turn connects to the door mechanism. The gap was in between the plastic and metal of this connection. After trying several things including foam under the metal rods, which partially worked, I decided to take a chance. I took needle nose pliers and reach inside the door. The plastic bushing was rattling in the metal clasp. I grabbed around the metal clasp, squeezing it as tight as I could and binding against it slightly. This closed the metal tight against the plastic bushing. NO MORE RATTLE!!!!
Now I would say that depending on a few and condition, this process could easily snap the plastic bushing....... in which case you're screwed. But if you hate that incessant rattle forcing you to turn the radio up, then perhaps this plan will help.