Notices

Domestic Turned IMPORT?! WHAT? Help a v8 head look at a CRX.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Domestic Turned IMPORT?! WHAT? Help a v8 head look at a CRX.

Aright. I know I'm gunna hear it. I'm saving up for a used C5 Corvette, but in the mean time, I need a different, more cheaper and economical source of transportation. Since I like the shape of the CRX, I was wondering how hard it would be to find a 5spd manual CRX.

I don't know ANYTHING about these cars other than that *STOCK* they're slow, somewhat dated, heavy...what else do I need to know?

Are there any sport models? Are there any years that are faster than others (ie bigger motors, etc) And last: How much $ to get them to run 13.0 1/4 mile times?

-veXati0n-

[Modified by veXati0n, 10:08 PM 3/26/2003]

[Modified by veXati0n, 10:17 PM 3/26/2003]
Old 03-26-2003, 08:47 PM

Default Re: Domestic Turned IMPORT?! WHAT? Help a v8 head look at a CRX. (veXati0n)

oh, and my boy just said they're very unsafe, weigh WAY too much, and if you get into an accident you're fucked.

CRX or foxbody mustang. HMMMM. lol
Old 03-26-2003, 08:51 PM

Default Re: Domestic Turned IMPORT?! WHAT? Help a v8 head look at a CRX. (veXati0n)

si is the only sport model crx only 108 hp rated at flywheel an they came in 88-91 if you wanna chip the ecu i believe you will need an 90-91 ecu

[Modified by TooSlowTogoEF, 5:53 AM 3/27/2003]
Old 03-26-2003, 09:22 PM

Default Re: Domestic Turned IMPORT?! WHAT? Help a v8 head look at a CRX. (JalopySiR)

No. I am serious. I figured I could save myself some 'homework' of someone could right off the bat say "look into this, this, and that. Be careful of this this and don't forget this". That was my ONLY goal. I currently drive a ****** buick lesabre. A crx would be a step up and I'd like to practice my shifting skills on a cheaper car than an expensive one. I never said they were ugly. If you took the time to read my post instead of passing it off as your own ******* rhetoric you'd know I said I like the looks.

And what happened to your superior dialect? Guess that was fake just like the rest of you.

Is there anyone out there willing to ****** help or am I in the wrong place?
Old 03-26-2003, 09:28 PM
I took way too long

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sure I will help.

A CRX is a great car, but is getting aged and a common problem nowadays is rust. So look carefully for that stuff. As far as sporty models, go for an Si. And if I may say so, I prefer 90-91 Civic/CRX. CRX handles very great compliments of how light the damn things are. A nice close ratio 5 speed is on the Si. I have a 90 Civic Si and it's the easiest most fun car to drive ever. There's SOME power there where you need it but it's not torque monster. Once you get at 4,500 rpm it really starts making the power. A great chasis to have and aftermarket support is strong. VERY GREAT CARS, y0!@
Old 03-26-2003, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Domestic Turned IMPORT?! WHAT? Help a v8 head look at a CRX. (xX86CRXsiXx)

Look. Lets just start this **** all over again, aright? I'm honestly here to learn about the CRX. Now, if you guys don't wanna help, then don't ****** reply. My goal is to learn about the CRX and what pitfalls to watch out for.

I don't wanna know if your CRX will school my dad's 454 big block corvette, I don't wanna hear go get a mustang, just someone give me some POSITIVE advice on a CRX and I'll be more than happy. I didn't know this would be like pulling teeth so I'm hoping this act of bestowing patience and respect with you guys, you might be sensible enough to do the same.

Agreed?
Old 03-26-2003, 09:32 PM

I read something further back about someone wanting to swap teg suspension into the CRX, why? Is the teg a better car?
Old 03-26-2003, 09:33 PM
I took way too long

I gave you some good info.

And as far as running 13.0.....

Get a B18C5 (Integra Type R engine) and build the internals and boost it. That should do it. But it's expensive. I'll be happy to answer more ??s if you've got them.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Domestic Turned IMPORT?! WHAT? Help a v8 head look at a CRX. (crunk'd)

I think the funniest part of this whole post is the their heavy comment.

My 1800lb crx is far from being heavy, compared to my 3180lb wrx.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:34 PM

Default Re: Domestic Turned IMPORT?! WHAT? Help a v8 head look at a CRX. (crunk'd)

I think Im officially embarresed to own a CRX because of you others that have posted in this thread. I honestly beleive this guy was looking for some help. I'll try to help you..

two model CRXs.. first generation = 84-87 and second gen = 88-91. 2nd gens seem to be more popular, there seems to be more aftermarket support for the 2nd gen too.

The quickest model CRX stock, would be the Si of any year. The 2nd gen Si's have 108 hp with the exception of either the 88 or the 88 and 89 which have 105hp. The other models are the DX (92hp) and the HF (62hp). These cars are all light.. with the heaviest being the Si which weighs 2175lbs without a driver. You'll run 16s with a stock 2nd gen CRX Si. All Si's and HF's are 5spd. They make 4spd auto and 5spd manual DXs. You could run 13s for around 3 grand. Swap in a ZC engine ($800) and spend the rest on a turbo setup. Alot of people will tell you to swap in a B16 but thats around $2000.

You can also find answers to all ur questions by using the search.. up in the top right corner, Im not sure if the search function is down, but when its up.. its one of the best searches on any forum I've been on.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:34 PM
I took way too long

I read something further back about someone wanting to swap teg suspension into the CRX, why? Is the teg a better car?
Well the teg is a nicer, more luxurious car. But the Integra GSR suspension is big and beefy so that's probably why.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:35 PM

I was also looking at the Eagle Talon, not because it's American, but because it's AWD and some have turbos and whatnot. I think the Talon would be more race ready, but the CRX sounds like a lot of fun especially since it's so short. I'd be fun doing snow drifts in the CRX, I don't know if you could do that with AWD...
Old 03-26-2003, 09:37 PM
I took way too long

The Talons have their own problems. Very unreliable so I've heard. Stick with a CRX and I'm telling you, you will love them.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:39 PM

The Talons have their own problems. Very unreliable so I've heard. Stick with a CRX and I'm telling you, you will love them.
Correcto.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:42 PM

Default Re: Domestic Turned IMPORT?! WHAT? Help a v8 head look at a CRX. (xX86CRXsiXx)

I think you should get a crx.

Try to find one just a shell for around 500-800. Since you want to run 13.0 I would probably get a used d16z6 ( 92-95 civic ex or hatchback si engine). You would probably spend 600 for a complete d16z6 swap with everything. Then buy a new(1500 w/o intercooler) or used d16 Greddy Turbo kit (there are plenty of used kits for sale in the classifieds section that are very good bargins usually around 1500 w/ intercooler and extras) That combination with ab 6psi of boost you'll run a high 13. Do the vafc hack and get some bigger injectors ,increase the boost and you MIGHT get that 13.0 That all totals to around 3200. There are other ways to get to 13.0 in a crx but i think that is the best way IMO. o yeah ,USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!
Old 03-26-2003, 09:46 PM

Default Re: Domestic Turned IMPORT?! WHAT? Help a v8 head look at a CRX. (Hvy P)

oo im runnin the z6 in my 88 HF rite now, its pretty speedy indeed and looking to boost soon so hopefully i'll be hittin those 13's...., but yea z6 is a good motor, or you could get the SOHC vtec ZC for about the same price. either way if you boost you'll be quick if its properly tuned.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:48 PM

Default Re: Domestic Turned IMPORT?! WHAT? Help a v8 head look at a CRX. (1st-hybrid)

Holy ****. I thought they were ****** dogs. What attacts me most about these cars is their ability to be modified and the fact that insurance companies won't dick you over like on a mustang. One of my friends is paying more than 5k a year for his insurance cuz he's got a couple racing tix in his stang. I know I wouldn't be able to keep up with his car, but I could race other civics and **** and I guess that would be just as much fun.

Are parts generally cheap? Labor?
Old 03-26-2003, 09:48 PM

Default Re: Domestic Turned IMPORT?! WHAT? Help a v8 head look at a CRX. (drjondurst)

I think Im officially embarresed to own a CRX because of you others that have posted in this thread. I honestly beleive this guy was looking for some help. I'll try to help you..

two model CRXs.. first generation = 84-87 and second gen = 88-91. 2nd gens seem to be more popular, there seems to be more aftermarket support for the 2nd gen too.

The quickest model CRX stock, would be the Si of any year. The 2nd gen Si's have 108 hp with the exception of either the 88 or the 88 and 89 which have 105hp. The other models are the DX (92hp) and the HF (62hp). These cars are all light.. with the heaviest being the Si which weighs 2175lbs without a driver. You'll run 16s with a stock 2nd gen CRX Si. All Si's and HF's are 5spd. They make 4spd auto and 5spd manual DXs. You could run 13s for around 3 grand. Swap in a ZC engine ($800) and spend the rest on a turbo setup. Alot of people will tell you to swap in a B16 but thats around $2000.

You can also find answers to all ur questions by using the search.. up in the top right corner, Im not sure if the search function is down, but when its up.. its one of the best searches on any forum I've been on.
I was reading thru the posts, seeing everybody bash this dude...I'm glad you popped up to at least answer his questions!!! Sheesh. *EDIT* - they're definitely not heavy, they may be a bit unsafe in accidents, but they're small, nimble, and good at avoiding accidents.

Yeah, definitely watch out for rust. Sunroof on the Si model is prone to it, as are the rear quarter panels on all models. Sunroofs sometimes spring leaks. Obviously, you'd probably want to Carfax it...get the vin and scour the boards for someone who can do it for you.

Check out resource.crx.org , I believe they have buying tips on there, or at least they used to...

Have fun with the CRX when you get it, and keep in mind that some of us will help you out when you need it!! Oh, and put some pics up when you get it in the pic post at the top.

Alex

[Modified by Quik89Si, 10:51 PM 3/26/2003]
Old 03-26-2003, 09:51 PM

This one in particular opened my eyes:

<A HREF="http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/vdetail.jtmpl?car_id=126524249&dealer_id=39428931& car_year=1991&make=HONDA&distance=100&max_price=35 00&model=CRX&end_year=2004&advcd_on=n&min_price=0& address=06612&search_type=used&advanced=n&start_ye ar=1983&color=
" TARGET="_blank">http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/v...ar=1983&color=
</a>

Old 03-26-2003, 09:54 PM

Default Re: Domestic Turned IMPORT?! WHAT? Help a v8 head look at a CRX. (drjondurst)

THX! I was hoping someone would help me out like that. I just needed to get my foot in the door. I have a temper too and once people start shootin their mouth off I have to shoot mine. Anyway yes I know of the search feature. I'm all over the corvette forums. I did read that the search was down and since my questions were of the most basic nature, I figured I'd just pop in and ask. Thanks for giving me some sort of foundation. The 2nd gens are the type that I like (as pictured above (right?))
Honda-Tech Member

Parts are cheap and plentiful, labor really depends on where you take it, most people here try to do thing on their own and its a learning experience. I'm not too sure about insurance if you personally have any racing tickets, but if you're clean insurance isnt too much for these cars, I'd say definately go for an Si and go from there, or if you care more about weight and such (and have your heart set on an engine swap) then def go for an HF and gut it out (they can get down to 1700lbs!) combine with better engine, and you've got yourself a fun car.
Honda-Tech Member

If I came off like a bitch, I apologize. Firstly, the seach button ownz. Secondly, if you are looking to have a fast car, get the talon/laser/eclipse. They can be made MUCH faster, MUCH cheaper. Again, if you are serious, I apologize. have a
Old 03-26-2003, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Domestic Turned IMPORT?! WHAT? Help a v8 head look at a CRX. (SlicedBread)

about the car posted above, 3 grand is on the high side, especially if its all stock, but that does look like a REALLY clean car from the pic alone..
Old 03-26-2003, 09:57 PM

Holy ****. I thought they were ****** dogs. What attacts me most about these cars is their ability to be modified and the fact that insurance companies won't dick you over like on a mustang. One of my friends is paying more than 5k a year for his insurance cuz he's got a couple racing tix in his stang. I know I wouldn't be able to keep up with his car, but I could race other civics and **** and I guess that would be just as much fun.

Are parts generally cheap? Labor?
Yeah, since they're getting old, insurance is SUPER cheap.

Parts, depending on if you buy them used, or new, can be had either way. Junkyards will often have small parts you need. As was possibly stated above, junkyard turbo kits are popular and you could probably set one up for less than $700.

Labor - do you work on your own car? If you work on them or have ANY small desire to do so, it's a good way to save money (and learn) by doing it yourself. Import shops tend to be ripoffs unless you have hookups.

Cops are cracking down in most major metro areas for street racing, but suspension mods are easy, relatively inexpensive, and make twisty roads more fun.

Alex
Old 03-26-2003, 10:03 PM

Default Re: Domestic Turned IMPORT?! WHAT? Help a v8 head look at a CRX. (JalopySiR)

If I came off like a bitch, I apologize. Firstly, the seach button ownz. Secondly, if you are looking to have a fast car, get the talon/laser/eclipse. They can be made MUCH faster, MUCH cheaper. Again, if you are serious, I apologize. have a
Np. Domestic guys can be cocky too. It's all water under the bridge bro. Cheers.

Quick Reply: Domestic Turned IMPORT?! WHAT? Help a v8 head look at a CRX.