Notices

Does anyone have any experience restoring Si Seats?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone have any experience restoring Si Seats?

Hey, i just picked up a set of Si seats for cheap, but they are in pretty bad condition, like most si seats. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to go about restoring them. The foam is basically giving out in the bolsters, and the fabric is in pretty sad shape. Has anyone had the foam replaced? if so, where did you have this done, and how much did it cost you? same question for the upholstery. thanks for any answers.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:11 AM
Touching My Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Does anyone have any experience restoring Si Seats? (MatHadder)

bump! interested in this myself
Old 12-01-2005, 02:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does anyone have any experience restoring Si Seats? (90_EF_Si)

i wanna know 2.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:56 AM

i remember one guy saying @ Niagara CRX Meet that he got some good pass side seats and swapped the foam / fabric onto his drivers side.

But if BOTH ur seats are messed then that is out...

But if u dont have any doner seats for foam/fabric you're going to have to go custom..
Old 12-01-2005, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crx_88_si)

bump for any more information
Old 12-01-2005, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MatHadder)

I got lucky with mine and they are pretty much in mint condition, but I would imagine any place that does interior upholstery could revitalize them for you.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as the spongy stuff inside is in tact, I think you can pretty much take them to any upholstery shop and get them done.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does anyone have any experience restoring Si Seats? (EL Vap133)

yeah, the foam is in pretty poor shape, though, mostly in the bolsters on the drivers side.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I called a couple of upholstery shops, and a rough estimate to repair the foam and recover the seats was about $900, if i provided the fabric. I was kind of hoping someone had ideas on how to do this for slightly less money.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:54 PM

ok this is the simple thing......

all you will need to do is get the seats re-foamed. go to a pick n pull type place or something along those lines and find some clean PASSENGER SIDE Si seats, the seat cover can be removed from the passenger side and it will directly fit onto the driver side. as you well know 90% of passenger side seats are flawless and its the driver side that always gets t3h shaftzorz
Old 12-06-2005, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Does anyone have any experience restoring Si Seats? (temp)

Hey fellas, if you guys are interested, $250.-$350. PER SEAT for refurbish & re -upholster.

My brother-in-law, Mario (also a CRXster, thanx to me) has an upholstery shop here in California. If you guys are interested let me know. Also, he might give you a discount if you mention my name.

Thanx fellas,
Rick
Old 12-06-2005, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Does anyone have any experience restoring Si Seats? (C-RICKS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by C-RICKS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey fellas, if you guys are interested, $250.-$350. PER SEAT for refurbish & re -upholster.

My brother-in-law, Mario (also a CRXster, thanx to me) has an upholstery shop here in California. If you guys are interested let me know. Also, he might give you a discount if you mention my name.

Thanx fellas,
Rick </TD></TR></TABLE>

my way is cheaper
Old 12-06-2005, 02:59 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Just a suggestion but you could try the E-bay to find seat bottoms and backs.I've seen them go for real cheap in decent shapeand they should interchangable between the driver's and passengers'....
Old 12-06-2005, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Does anyone have any experience restoring Si Seats? (Civiclized)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civiclized &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just a suggestion but you could try the E-bay to find seat bottoms and backs.I've seen them go for real cheap in decent shapeand they should interchangable between the driver's and passengers'....</TD></TR></TABLE>

my way is still cheaper as shipping on seat bottoms and seat backs will be $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 12-06-2005, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well we are not all lucky to go to a pick and pull and find si's with the seats still in them
Old 12-06-2005, 03:37 PM

Default Re: (civhatch90)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civhatch90 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well we are not all lucky to go to a pick and pull and find si's with the seats still in them</TD></TR></TABLE>

you dont just go once, man you have to find out the days when they put out their "new" stock and just go there those days. not being a lazy *** pays off bigtime
Old 12-06-2005, 04:12 PM
The Boot

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by temp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my way is still cheaper as shipping on seat bottoms and seat backs will be $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$</TD></TR></TABLE>
ok we get it, damn...

Ive seen and heard of people getting quotes for around $200 to reapolster seats.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (temp)

I have also used passenger side parts to rebuild driver seats, It turns out mint!
Old 12-07-2005, 07:35 AM

Default Re: Does anyone have any experience restoring Si Seats? (spoonfedjdm)

go to ebay search red line racing seats , i got some for $98.00 plus $150.00 s/h
what a deal!
Old 12-07-2005, 08:07 AM

Default Re: Does anyone have any experience restoring Si Seats? (BIGALAN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BIGALAN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">go to ebay search red line racing seats , i got some for $98.00 plus $150.00 s/h
what a deal!</TD></TR></TABLE>

worst idea evar, using non SFI approved racing seats is a universally bad idea
Old 12-07-2005, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought a big block of 5inch thick foam from a fabric store. I had new covers to put on anyway but the foam was rotted out. Basically i shaped out the missing bolster from a big block of foam. Shape your pieces up then use 3M spray adhesive. I put the new foam in place.

When its dry I took some strips of an old cotton tshirt cut into 8 x 4 strips. spray the repaired areas down and use those strips from front to back of seat to help keep the foam in its place. Put the new cover on and your done...assuming you have a cover thats not rotted to hell. I got the idea from someone that had fixed their seats with nerf football.

I dont have any pics of the seats right now. A bunch of people were takin pics of them at N11 because the covers have CRX on upper center part of the seats. it the crx in my avatar if anyone has any pics. if not ill take some pics when i start working on the rex some more.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does anyone have any experience restoring Si Seats? (black_krix_si)

I paid $250 to have a shop restuff/reinforce and recover both of my Si seats in vinyl with cloth centers. The seats are now way more supportive than before. Tyson's been in my car before, he'll vouch.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: Does anyone have any experience restoring Si Seats? (Reelizmpro)

yeah, good seats. the extra reinforced bolsters were nice.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (droppedcrxsi)

Originally Posted by MatHadder
I called a couple of upholstery shops, and a rough estimate to repair the foam and recover the seats was about $900, if i provided the fabric. <U> I was kind of hoping someone had ideas on how to do this for slightly less money.</U>
Heres an idea I'm hopin you can use
btw, thats a pretty high quote
Originally Posted by droppedcrxsi
<U>I have also used passenger side parts to rebuild driver seats, It turns out mint! </U>
AGREED Use some passenger parts if you can find em.

This was a post created by Gutterslide (NOT ME), a perfectionist I know with a wagon addiction!!!

He created this post originally for our wagon community but it is so extensive I am certain that it would benefit 4th gen civic owners as well as anyone lookin to restore some seats. If you have gained any knowledge or inspiration from this please PM Gutterslide here on H-T with a

__________________________________________________ ___________

Originally Posted by Gutterslide
the seat in my wagon was ripped when i bought it. it had already been repaired once, and ripped out again. wagons in particular seem to be plagued by ripped driver's seats, and the only one i've found in a salvage yard with the right color uphostery also had a ripped driver's seat. so, i decided to try skinning the passenger seat, and just reupholster my seat. the yard only charges $30, all you can carry, so the cover only cost maybe $2 among the other stuff i pulled. the upholstery pliers and rings cost about $10 shipped, and i already had the spray adhesive. i figured i'd document it as a DIY.

tools required:
wire cutters/small bolt cutters
phillips screw driver
sockets- 12mm, 14mm, 19mm
hog nose upholstery rings and pliers
scissors/blade

the horror

removing the seat couldn't be more straight-forward. 4 12mm bolts and a plug.

new(er) cover and extracted seat

remove the automatic seat belt reel (if applicable), 2 bolts and the loom clips.

side cover, 2 phillips screws

the lever slides off. inserting a screwdriver into the end and pushing it off works really well.

seat rails and hinge assembly, 12mm, 14mm, and 19mm

the first of many hog nose rings to be cut. most of the rings attach a metal wire (inside a fabric/vinyl sleeve) to another wire or spring. try to remember their location to make reassembly easier.

this rubber strap hooks onto the springs on the back of the seat, simply unhook. one on each side.

the other ends of the straps attach here on the front.

the rings in the middle of the back can be cut from front or back.

the headrest posts go into these tubes. you need to remove them to get the old cover off, and the new cover on properly.

the other end of the tube is under here.

it's a tight fit, but get your hand up there and squeeze the two halves together and then pull the tube out.

several rings on the bottom

these tabs slot into this plastic channel.

many more rings to cut. this is the easy part. reinstalling them is a bit harder.

the foam had some chunks missing. i went to a local upholstery shop and they gave me some scrap foam for free. :tu: i cut and shaped a patch to fill the voids and used spray adhesive to glue it in. i also glued some smooth fabric over the repairs to hopefully prevent further damage from friction and wear.

now, time for the new cover. i ordered this nice 101 piece kit from JCWhitney.

unfortunately, this is what they sent me. false advertising.

starting with the bottom section, it makes the job easier if you remove the wire "ribs" from the sides of the cover so you can install the rings on the middle rib.

reinsert the rib into its fabric sleeve, and install more rings.

the holes for the hardware of the driver's and passenger's side are different, so a few holes have to be made. the original holes won't show up once the hardware and plastic covers are put on, and the seat is reinstalled.

once you put everything back together, admire your work and reinstall the seat.

Before:

After:

ring locations under the seat cover. i would have put this pic earlier in the post, but didn't want to spoil the reveal of the new cover.

i hope this tutorial helps somebody out some day
Old 12-07-2005, 06:59 PM

i'm waiting for some one to do it up in gucci

Quick Reply: Does anyone have any experience restoring Si Seats?