D16Z6 into an '88 CRX HF

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16Z6 into an '88 CRX HF

I met a guy swapping a B-series into his Del Sol Si. That means he's getting rid of the D16Z6 that is in it now.

Here is where I come in. He's offering the full motor, tranny, and ecu for $350. That sounds like a fair price to me.

Here is where the problems start. This will be the first swap I will be performing, and I'm not so confident. I'll be putting the motor into an '88 CRX HF, that currently has the D15B6, and to the best of my knowledge, the original HF transmission. It is a 5-speed manual transmission. I've been told that this is a very simple swap. It is my understanding that I will need to modify the ECU. I'm assuming I can use the jumper/harness from http://www.rywire.com/. I'm also thinking that I should be able to use the stock motor mounts. Nex problem is the transmission. The transmission on that engine is hydraulic, and the transmission that came in my car is cable based. I've been told various things, but I'm not sure how I should handle that transmission problem? I guess I could buy the conversion kit from http://www.hasport.com/ . Some people are trying to tell me that the engine would bolt right onto the stock HF transmission. I really don't know. I've also heard people mentioning something along the lines of the '88 has a 21 spline transmission, and the other years had a 22. That's all fine and dandy but I don't know what that means.

If anyone has performed this swap, or knows of someone elses project in which they performed this swap, please help me out.

Also, I know the D15B6 is MPFI, but is it the same as the CRX Si? I've been told it's not.

Thanks for all the help,
-Bryan
Old 12-06-2007, 08:09 PM

Default Re: D16Z6 into an '88 CRX HF (hfcrx88)

you could use your hf tranny for now and will bolt up to the D16Z6.i don't know how it will perform,but should work.this would be the easy way too go since you have the parts already.since most the mount are on the tranny,the only mount you have worry about is the timing belt side.just take the whole engine mount out(timing belt side)and bolt it on the D16Z6.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Some items to add.

Swap your fuel rail and injectors from the HF motor to the Z6.

Or you can get rid of your resistor box and convert to 0bd1 injectors.

Your going to have to extend the fan switch wires (located on the back of the HF engine) so they can reach next to the starter on the Z6 motor.

Use the starter and the alternator off the HF motor.

Map Sensor
Extend the wires to reach the TB on the Z6 engine. Or use a long vacuum hose to attach to the vacuum port on the TB.

I also recommend doing a tuneup on the Z6 while its out of the car. Replace any worn gaskets,check for leaks, clean the block.

Good Luck
Old 12-07-2007, 06:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: D16Z6 into an '88 CRX HF (Just2Fast)

OK...

Yes the z6 will bolt into you CRX, I'd suggest using a cable trans, the HF will work for now, just us you 88 flywheel and clutch but keep an eye out for a 89-91 SI trans and get a 90-91 flywheel and clutch...I believe you will have to use the mount bolted to the block on the drivers side off of the HF motor...you will need to get a new ECU either a 90-91 Si ECU and get it chipped or get an OBD1 ECU P06 and the jumper harness...decide if you want to go OBD1 or not..if you stay OBD0 I believe you need to use your HF dizzy...there is more but thats all off the top of my head right now...
Old 12-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: D16Z6 into an '88 CRX HF (Loserkidwac)

If that motor has dizzy, ecu, injectors, etc just make you life easier and run obd1.
Yes contact rywire and he can do your obd0 obd1 harness for you and get you the ecu obd0 to obd1 plug. Also he has the dizzy plugs for you

You have to use the cable tranny cause i don't think they ever came out with a d series hydro tranny mount for the ef's. Besides then you would have to get a reservoir and stuff cause its hydro. Just use an SI and it will good to go
Old 12-09-2007, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dont go with the HF tranny, its very long and can get very annoying, i suggest you find a si tranny but i dx will work, i had a zc vtec in my car with the hf tranny and it sucked, it holds you back so much,

but other then that good luck on the swap its pretty simple and easy
Old 12-09-2007, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: D16Z6 into an '88 CRX HF (KhmerdudeSiR)

The HF transmission will work for now. But the car will be a dog. However, it will work if you don't currently have to money to buy an SI transmission. But to make it work, you will need to remove the clutch and flywheel from your HF. On the other and, save the clutch/flywheel from the Z6 so that you can use it once you find a 1989-1991 SI transmission (but NOT a 1988). Or, just get a 1989-1991 SI transmission right now.

Unfortunately, you can't use the transmission that he is selling. So you might want to try telling him you don't want it and negotiating a lower price. Or, if he won't, maybe try to sell it on craigslist. But there is NO way to get that transmission to work in your car that is remotely easy or worthwhile. You will likely spend MUCH more money trying to get that HF transmission to work than an SI transmission would cost.

As for the electronics, do yourself one HUGE favor and go OBDI. Running OBDI will give you the power the motor was intended to put out, save gas, and eliminate any emissions hassles that you might have to deal with, depending on where you live. Yes, you can buy conversion harnesses. But these cost LOTS of money. You can save money, and ultimately have a cleaner setup if you do your own conversion. Wiring guides for this conversion can be found everywhere online.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just put a z6 in my 89 si, i tried staying with the obd0 and it is possible cut you have to cut the dizzy ears to get it to fit, my advice is order a obd0 - obd1 jumper and wire it up rightthe first time, you will have to use the driver side mount off your stock motor and in my opinion you should sell both your old trans and the hydro trans and pick up an Si trans, the clutch and flywheel on the z6 will work fine with a 89-91 Si trans!! finished mine when it was obd0 and it was ok, did obd1 swap and made a bg difference
Old 12-10-2007, 12:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (clockwork675)

convert to obd1 and use the ecu and dizzy that come with the motor all you need is the conversion kit and the jumper harness and a 4 wire o2 and is is basically plug and play

get an si cable tranny before you do this swap...since this is your first you only want to do it once. I don't know much about the hydro conversion kits but I would stick to the cable

I would run obd 0 injectors since you already have an mpfi with resistor box