Notices

Mysterious Vacuum Hose

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mysterious Vacuum Hose

Hey guys!

When I bough this car, it already had a custom (eBay) cold air intake on it. With this, it has a vacuum hose connected from the intake to the valve cover, which is normal (and I believe it's necessary for the valve cover to be able to pull in fresh air through that hose). This is all fine and dandy, but I just realized there's another vacuum hose tucked away behind the intake. It looks like it might've been the stock vacuum line that connected the intake to the valve cover, but it also has a second tube running further down into the engine.

The setup:
- What looks to be the part that connects to the valve cover is a straight piece of tube, and it looks like the previous owner cut the other end off
- Attached to it is a vacuum tube that starts near the bottom of the valve cover and the other end goes deeper into the engine bay. It doesn't look like this tube has been cut or taken off, but its attached to the one that has been.

If it makes it any clearer, I've also attached a shitty MS Paint drawing haha.

Are these tubes connected at all? Is there any way to totally remove the one that seems to be from the old stock intake? Is it necessary to block it off if these tubes are all connected?

Thanks guys!

Thanks guys!

Thanks a bunch guys!
Old 10-18-2017, 03:21 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts
Default Re: Mysterious Vacuum Hose

You are right about the first part...the tube you are talking about is to allow the valve cover to be vented into the intake tube on a stock setup. It was not cut on one end...the angled "cut" is how they come from Honda. It looks like the coiled blue tube in your pictures replaces this. The other metal tube that is welded to the first metal tube is a coolant line, not a vacuum line. You can remove the entire metal piece (vacuum tube and coolant tube) and essentially "connect" the two rubber coolant lines by replacing them with a single hose. No harm done in doing this. Hope that answers your question.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Mysterious Vacuum Hose

Originally Posted by DaX
You are right about the first part...the tube you are talking about is to allow the valve cover to be vented into the intake tube on a stock setup. It was not cut on one end...the angled "cut" is how they come from Honda. It looks like the coiled blue tube in your pictures replaces this. The other metal tube that is welded to the first metal tube is a coolant line, not a vacuum line. You can remove the entire metal piece (vacuum tube and coolant tube) and essentially "connect" the two rubber coolant lines by replacing them with a single hose. No harm done in doing this. Hope that answers your question.
Ahhh I feel dumb, thanks a lot for the help! I'll probably replace it with a single hose pretty soon.