Notices

Crx Hybrid Set-ups

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crx Hybrid Set-ups

I'm about to purchase a crx again for a mileage car to drive back and forth to school with. I'm gonna try to find a shell with no drivetrain and build from there. i have about $5,000 to spend and pretty much open to any ideas.

I have been thinking about d16z6, dohc zc, b16, b18b, and b18c. The z6, zc, and b18b have the option to be turboed, price permitting. i'm just curious about personal opinions from people who either have one of these setups, or are familiar with them. i will not be doing 1/4 miles or road racing, i just want something fun to open up once in a while. no internal building , just replacing basic parts during the swap process(water pump, timing belt, plugs/wires, cap, rotor etc). regardless of motor i will prob do cheap intake, and header with custom/cheap exhaust. i have owned a dohc zc crx si before and was happy with the feel but the car was completely stripped and this one will not be.

post your set-ups along with any advice. i'm interested in reliability, gas mileage, acceleration, and everyday driveability.

thanks for any help in making my decision!!

$5,000 to spend.
open to any set-up.
opinions welcome!!
Old 10-24-2004, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Crx Hybrid Set-ups (efracer)

Well, all I really have experience with daily driving wise is my b18c. You'd probably come close to maxing out your $5k budget after you got a shell, motor, mounts, bolt ons, etc. Its my daily driver, but sometimes I think it'd be nice to have something more.. whats the word.. tame? lol

Reliability:
Any honda motor, as long as its properly maintained will be reliable. As long as you buy from a reputable source and replace those maintenance parts during the swap process, you should be fine with whatever you choose. My b18c1 has perfectly reliable for the 1700 miles or so that are on it. (Amazingly enough, since I rebuilt it myself. heh)

Gas Mileage:
I get about 30-35mpg on the freeway. I'd assume about 25-28 or so in the city. Thats if Im careful. I'd probably get better if I didnt have the YS1 GSR tranny.

Acceleration:
It flies - especially with that short geared tranny. And with all that torque of the 1.8L in such a lightweight chassis, its great not having to downshift to pass someone.

Everyday Driveability:
As fun as it is... its not always the most comfortable for a daily driver. Especially since all the mount kits out there use very stiff urethane. I rode in a buddy's DA integra (with stock mounts) and it felt like a lexus compared to all the vibration I had in mine. Not that I really mind it so much, but sometimes it makes me wish i had a daily beater

Anyways, I love it but its not for everyone. Hope that helps.
Old 10-24-2004, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id do a nice lil turbo z6. ull def be faster than any b series swap, and it will be cheaper if u build ur turbo kit correctly.
Old 10-24-2004, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crx Hybrid Set-ups (91siredrex)

can you explain the "build the turbo kit" part a little ?
Old 10-24-2004, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

one you quoted him wrong! and two i think he just means buy all the parts seprete even use some stock parts from already turboed cars?
Old 10-24-2004, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crx Hybrid Set-ups (sekz)

Most b series offer great power right out the box, so u have to decide. I think you'll be happy with a itr or gsr engine if you don't wanna go into deep mods IMO.
Old 10-24-2004, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the help ... any one else?
Old 10-24-2004, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sekz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">one you quoted him wrong! and two i think he just means buy all the parts seprete even use some stock parts from already turboed cars? </TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, i know he means piece the turbo parts together by "explain" i meant what parts.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:53 PM

if you have 5 grand to spend just buy one with the swap already just check it over real well. itll be cheaper and save you headaches.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Crx Hybrid Set-ups (91siredrex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 91siredrex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">id do a nice lil turbo z6. ull def be faster than any b series swap, and it will be cheaper if u build ur turbo kit correctly.</TD></TR></TABLE>

After seeing the cost/HP ratio for the Z6 swaps with turbo i'm inclined to agree completely! and you'll probably have money to spare for nice accessories like alarm and interior amenities.

Enjoy the project, 5000 is certainly a great start
Old 10-24-2004, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

id do a turbo ls, ls swaps seem to come cheap enough lately.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ashish)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr_CRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, all I really have experience with daily driving wise is my b18c. You'd probably come close to maxing out your $5k budget after you got a shell, motor, mounts, bolt ons, etc. Its my daily driver, but sometimes I think it'd be nice to have something more.. whats the word.. tame? lol

Reliability:
Any honda motor, as long as its properly maintained will be reliable. As long as you buy from a reputable source and replace those maintenance parts during the swap process, you should be fine with whatever you choose. My b18c1 has perfectly reliable for the 1700 miles or so that are on it. (Amazingly enough, since I rebuilt it myself. heh)

Gas Mileage:
I get about 30-35mpg on the freeway. I'd assume about 25-28 or so in the city. Thats if Im careful. I'd probably get better if I didnt have the YS1 GSR tranny.

Acceleration:
It flies - especially with that short geared tranny. And with all that torque of the 1.8L in such a lightweight chassis, its great not having to downshift to pass someone.

Everyday Driveability:
As fun as it is... its not always the most comfortable for a daily driver. Especially since all the mount kits out there use very stiff urethane. I rode in a buddy's DA integra (with stock mounts) and it felt like a lexus compared to all the vibration I had in mine. Not that I really mind it so much, but sometimes it makes me wish i had a daily beater

Anyways, I love it but its not for everyone. Hope that helps.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This guy hit the nail on the head, I have a B16 in mine with full CTR valve train...but the biggest thing is for sure, the mounts. Which is a big part of the reason why I bought a 2000 Integra GSR, nice leather, a/c, and enough get up and go for me to and from work. Honestly, for a 5000 dollar budget, I'd get a JDM D15B and put a cam in it, decent power, plenty of room for a/c and all the amenities and you can still use stock mounts I believe. Good luck.