Notices

crx with b16 brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 03:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crx with b16 brake problem

90 crx si with a jdm b16. When the car is off the brake pedal is really tight. When i turn the car on the pedal sinks a bit but still firm. While driving the pedal gets soft and sometimes will go all the way to the floor by time i've finished breaking or i'll come to a stop and have my foot on the brake and it will sink to the floor.

The brake fluid level is fine, pads and rotors are all new. The previous owner replaced the brake master cylinder with one from a CRX hf (rear drums) because the master cylinder failed on him and we cannot get a new CRX SI master cylinder where we live, not even the honda dealership has one or can get one.

The pedal was fine with the hf master cylidner for about 2 years so i have a hard time thinking that all of a sudden its no good, what else could be the problem?

And is there another master cylinder that would work or even be an upgrade then the CRX SI one that someone in town might have?
Old 08-24-2005, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: crx with b16 brake problem (luciffer)

Could be a wheel cylinder, leak in line somewhere and yes MC will just go bad without warning. I left in my CRX for a 8 hour trip and 2 hours in I had no brakes. If you aren't loosing fluid then I would have to say it is the MC.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondanogood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">**** you and your mother ******* crx and its brokea assss **** brakes go buy a real car like a bmw and throw that gay as go-kart away</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well that was uncalled for. Hope you are trying to be funny.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by luciffer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The pedal was fine with the hf master cylidner for about 2 years so i have a hard time thinking that all of a sudden its no good</TD></TR></TABLE>

The master cylinder on my car was fine for over a year, then one day... Down it went. **** happens.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by luciffer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And is there another master cylinder that would work or even be an upgrade then the CRX SI one that someone in town might have?</TD></TR></TABLE>

90-91 Civic EX (the sedan) has a 15/16ths master cylinder, a good upgrade to your 13/16ths.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX Toad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well that was uncalled for. Hope you are trying to be funny. </TD></TR></TABLE>

He needs to try harder...
Old 08-24-2005, 06:07 AM

Default Re: crx with b16 brake problem (drdisco69)

when i did my swap (jdm b16a). i had same problem it ended up my map sensor vacume wass all turned around and backward. i had the vacume line ontop of the tb open some how and i think when i fixed that it fixed the brakes. im just saying check all ur vacume. sounds exactly like my brakes were. now they feel like new brakes are sapposed to feel like.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:16 AM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondanogood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">**** you and your mother ******* crx and its brokea assss **** brakes go buy a real car like a bmw and throw that gay as go-kart away</TD></TR></TABLE>

I love it when these little bitches talk all this ****! and hide behind a computer screen.
As for your comment about a BMW being a " real car "...
I own a 325i and I never had more problems with a car,
My CRX has given me the least amount of problems then any other car i've owned.

If your gonna talk **** come to Newark and say it in person and take the beating like a man.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:31 AM

Default Re: crx with b16 brake problem (Newark Built Kandy SiC-RX)

I agree with drdisco69, the 15/16" MC was the best Upgrade that I made. Before when my MC died I swapped for the original one(Si) and it works but not that great...I would smash the pedals all the way down.

Now I upgraded my brakes to even bigger from 10.5" to 11" rotors and using the Accord Wagon/Legend/Vigor calipers and that 15/16" MC is doing a great Job.

I got mine from Autozone, and if you can't get it locally then just search online and order it cause you won't regret it.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: crx with b16 brake problem (drdisco69)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drdisco69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

90-91 Civic EX (the sedan) has a 15/16ths master cylinder, a good upgrade to your 13/16ths.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks, maybe i can get this one locally. I was going to order an SI mc from teh states, i was just surprised that even the honda dealer couldn't get me one.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crx90rcr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when i did my swap (jdm b16a). i had same problem it ended up my map sensor vacume wass all turned around and backward. i had the vacume line ontop of the tb open some how and i think when i fixed that it fixed the brakes. im just saying check all ur vacume. sounds exactly like my brakes were. now they feel like new brakes are sapposed to feel like.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Now this could be interesting because my car has been throwing map sensor code 3 every few weeks for about the same amount of time.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:15 PM

Default Re: crx with b16 brake problem (crx90rcr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crx90rcr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when i did my swap (jdm b16a). i had same problem it ended up my map sensor vacume wass all turned around and backward. i had the vacume line ontop of the tb open some how and i think when i fixed that it fixed the brakes. im just saying check all ur vacume. sounds exactly like my brakes were. now they feel like new brakes are sapposed to feel like.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am having the same problem and I replaced everything in the brake system just recently. i bought the car with the b16 already in it, so is it possible for you to post a pic of what you had to do because this is my first honda and I'm not sure how that is supposed to be and just from looking at it I don't think it is right. thanks