Notices

Camber plates on an 88 crx?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 Camber plates on an 88 crx?

I have an 88 crx with stock suspension geometry, just with some camber kits (adjustable uca's) and ebay coils. Since I'm due for an upgrade on both anyway, someone was telling me that I'd be better off getting cheap, non-adjustable upper control arms and a camber plate setup like this: https://www.octanemotorsports.com/19...-p-148059.html .

This doesn't make sense to me. First of all, is the crx considered a double wishbone setup in front? The LCA is a single beam with a radius bar, not actually wishbone shaped, but it seems to generally work like one.

All the setups I've seen with camber plates are a macphearson setup where the strut bolts directly to the hub at two points (no UCA). In this setup, it makes sense how a camber plate could adjust the camber.

However, with an upper and lower control arm like I have, with the strut attaching with a fork to the LCA, it seems like changing the angle of the spring wouldn't actually effect the camber of the wheel, at least not independently of ride height.

Am I misinformed? What am I missing here?
Old 06-13-2017, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: Camber plates on an 88 crx?

the website is showing a photo of a kit for a different vehicle, google says a lexus.

you can tell the kit product number is different than the photo file name.

and no, there is no camber plate for a CRX or any honda from 88-2000. it is considered a double wishbone suspension and not mcpherson strut. its a shame honda no longer makes cars with superior suspension anymore...
Old 09-01-2018, 08:27 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crx88lsvtec
I have an 88 crx with stock suspension geometry, just with some camber kits (adjustable uca's) and ebay coils. Since I'm due for an upgrade on both anyway, someone was telling me that I'd be better off getting cheap, non-adjustable upper control arms and a camber plate setup like this: https://www.octanemotorsports.com/19...-p-148059.html .

This doesn't make sense to me. First of all, is the crx considered a double wishbone setup in front? The LCA is a single beam with a radius bar, not actually wishbone shaped, but it seems to generally work like one.
Just to clear it up for future readers.
Honda's design is considered a double wishbone style.
Style being the keyword since they did not develope the double wishbone setup as found in Indy f1 cars.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by POKER XIONG
Just to clear it up for future readers.
Honda's design is considered a double wishbone style.
Style being the keyword since they did not develope the double wishbone setup as found in Indy f1 cars.
Nonsense.

By any technical definition, an EF has a double wish bone suspension as defined by having both two upper and lower three point control arms (don't ignore the radius rod as part of the lower control arm) and having a short and long arm advantage of camber and caster control of the knuckle that is independent of the shock .

Double wishbone is not exclusive to "F1" cars, and it is obvious a crx is a FWD passenger automobile. There's no "style" or fake double wish bone going on. And it's much better performance than McPherson struts. Shoichiro Honda is rolling in his grave at the abomination of vehicles Honda has been putting out since 2000, including the stupid Civic type R with a kludged dual axis front suspension .

​​​​​
Old 09-04-2018, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyson
Shoichiro Honda is rolling in his grave at the abomination of vehicles Honda has been putting out since 2000, including the stupid Civic type R with a kludged dual axis front suspension .

​​​​​
Yup, they're definitely not the same cars we were all used to..