Notices

Bleeding the fuel rail? LS swap starting help

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bleeding the fuel rail? LS swap starting help

Haven't gotten the car to start since I've swapped the engine, and this morning it dawned on me that I may have the spark plugs in the wrong order. Swapped them around and the car turned over a few times and fired for what sounded like about two cylinders. Tried turning it over after that with no luck.

The idea that I came up with is if maybe there's air in the fuel rail and so the fuel injectors aren't opening. Is there any way to bleed it out or anything to get the air out of the line? Any help would be awesome as I think this may be what's preventing it from starting...

Thanks in advance...
Old 12-30-2006, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Bleeding the fuel rail? LS swap starting help (JokerTypeR)

Any air in the fuel rail would have been dealt with the second the system pressurized. Hell, once the injectors open up ONCE any air that wasn't forced down the return line will be expelled.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:05 PM

Ive had them be stuck shut though if it was a JDM motor that fuel sat in a junk yard for a long time. they glue shut and stink like varnish. if that is the case fill them with PB blaster or WD 40 and let them sit for a while . unplug the fuel pump fuse and try starting the car with that stuff in there and they will cycle open and closed. pull the plugs on all cylinders and see if they are soaked with fuel or not. They could also be stuck open. if you are sure its something to do with the injectors. Air in the rail wont matter past about 3 cranks of the engine.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:57 PM

Default Re: Bleeding the fuel rail? LS swap starting help (ChickenH)

Please don't laugh...but...I didn't have the ECU mounted...meaning...it wasn't grounded. Injectors wouldn't fire.

However, my new problem is that the IACV valve clicks, but won't stop...thus preventing the engine from starting. when I wiggle the speedometer cable (which passes near it) it stops clicking until the engine turns over a couple time. I'm assuming it's a bad connection somewhere, but I can't determine where. What all could trigger this thing to go off?
Old 12-31-2006, 02:34 AM

Not to burst your bubble but it dosent matter if the ecu is mounted or not. Notice paint is covering the threads for the bolts. With my old zc swap I had the 88-89 integra ecu laying on the floor with no probs cause it wouldnt mount up!
Old 12-31-2006, 02:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

have you done the wiring yourself? any CEL's? double check your injectors and dizzy wirings.

^^yep, he's right, no need to mount the ECU to enable ground. the ECU chassis has no connections to the ECU board.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check your ground wires. They should be 3, one on the valve cover, one on the tranny, and one on the thermostat housing. If you have a clicking when you move the speedometer cable it might be the ground wire on the thermostat housing is not making good contact.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:02 AM

Default Re: Bleeding the fuel rail? LS swap starting help (Sikocivic)

Must be coincidence why it ran when the ECU hit the mounts... Oh well...it runs, that's all that matters, LoL.

As for the grounds, it's gotta be the one at the thermostat housing...I'll check it and post up.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it’s running and you don’t have any problems, Great. One thing I have found when swapping a b16 into a buddies dx is this. The DX banjo bolt (#4 in the pic above) physically bolted to the fuel rail. No leaks, I thought it was good, but when trying to run the engine it would kick on for a little while and die. I could not figure it out. I knew it had to be fuel related so I pull the banjo bolt off the end of the fuel rail and compared it to the one that came with the swap. The outside diameter was the same, however the inside of the stock dx was smaller choking off fuel. Swapped them out worked fine.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Bleeding the fuel rail? LS swap starting help (abnaasefmb)

That right there sounds VERY likely to what my problem is...

It hasn't done it yet, but the engine's hardly been run since the problem started, so we'll say...

Thanks a ton for that idea...that just might be it.

PS-Airborne? Thanks for your service.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

while yes the dx banjo bolt is the same size on both sides as oppose to a b series with the bigger side for fuel. with my ls swap my fuel line was clogged so i ended up using my dx fuel line no problems at all. when i finally switched to a b series fule line, i ddint notice any difference
Old 01-01-2007, 08:23 PM

Default Re: Bleeding the fuel rail? LS swap starting help (civickiller)

Well, I got her on the street today. She's pretty quick, but I've DEFINTILY gotta do some more work. The alignment is way off and too unstable for me to really play too much. However, I have NO low-end power. This, I think, is because my timing is way off. I've got my dizzy as retarded as possible, and it's still firing too soon by about 5-10degrees. I think I need to take the timing belt off and turn it one notch on the cams. Agreed?
Old 01-02-2007, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey i know this isn't the right thread, but i took some pics of my vacuum lines in case that's still an issue....
our setups are identical as far as the basics go....
i'm using my stock map sensor with no problems.
the only thing that may be different is that i removed the charcoal canister and the vacuum lines associated with it, as well as it's corresponding module thingy by the map. the red vent hose just hangs out in the engine bay:

we todd is acting up for me lately so hopefully those work
Old 02-10-2007, 02:27 AM

Aight.. i have a similar problem....i just swapped a Jdm b16A 2nd gen into my 1991 crx dx.. Rywire did my wiring..they did the DPFI to MPFI and the OBD0 to OBDI convertions..im using a USDM stock p28 ECU (OBDI).. but i notice theres no plug for the MAP sensor..they didnt do it..im not sure if its not needed or rywire made a mistake. but anyways, i just plugged and play everything.. connecting all the harnesses, plugs, ECU jumper they sent me.. and went to start the engine for the first time.. and it turned on!!!.. but i turned off quickly because i hadnt installed the radiator yet, had no coolant and the moment..did it cause couldt wait..i was so exited, wanted to see if it would turn on. but then the next morning.. i installed the radiator and everything and went to start it for the second time and this time wouldnt..it just cranks and crancks and wont even try to start..i havent been able to start it since...notice that is a fuel problem cause when i spray brake cleaner in the throttle body it starts and then shuts off. something went wrong..either injectors of fuel pressure.. how can i check and identify the problem?? i dont have an injector resistor box..i was tinking maybe the injectors arent obdi and got fried...i dont know please help!!!!!