the best d series?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the best d series?????

as the title says im looking for the best d series engine and tranny combo numbers wise??. dont wana go b series because i wana do all the work by myself. and the b series sounds like too big of a head-ache. so can anyone help a brotha out??
Old 10-28-2008, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: the best d series????? (efjones9)

B-series swap aint as bad as you see it to be. Its basically the same as a D only you use different parts(mounts, shift linkage, axles, etc.).
Old 10-28-2008, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: the best d series????? (sgallagher)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sgallagher &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> only you use different parts(mounts, shift linkage, axles, etc.).</TD></TR></TABLE>

which would be why its not basically the same. a b-swap is not for everyone and it definately takes a hell of lot more to pull one off in comparison to staying d-series.

if your dead set on stayin with the dirty d i would either do a mini-me on your stock engine with a z6 or y8 head. or swap in a whole z6/y8 longblock. whichever you prefer. if you can find one you could do a dohc zc swap as well, and then mate that to an Si tranny.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Numbers wise the USDM SOHC d motors with the most power are the d16z6 125hp (92-95 civic si, ex) and the d16y8 127hp (96-00 civic ex my suggestion do what D16SiHatch said (mini-me) just find a z6 or y8 head and mate it to your block and find a 88-91 Si tranny. I think this is the best way to learn. If you want more power after boost or go b
Old 10-28-2008, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok to get back and answer this guys original question is DC sports or a jackson racing reader. both carb legal and are very well desinged
Old 10-28-2008, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: the best d series????? (D16SiHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sgallagher &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">B-series swap aint as bad as you see it to be. Its basically the same as a D only you use different parts(mounts, shift linkage, axles, etc.).</TD></TR></TABLE>
[QUOTE=D16SiHatch]which would be why its not basically the same. a b-swap is not for everyone and it definately takes a hell of lot more to pull one off in comparison to staying d-series.
QUOTE]

Unbolting mounts is not that hard, Installing shift linkage is 1 bolt and 1 roll pin(which you would remove anyway), Axles are removed anyway(b-axles are no harder to install).

There for its no harder to install a B series than a D series. A little more money adn thats about it.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tico)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tico &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok to get back and answer this guys original question is DC sports or a jackson racing reader. both carb legal and are very well desinged</TD></TR></TABLE>

oops
Old 10-28-2008, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sgallagher)

thanx. i just wana be diffrent also. in cali all the efs i see the have the siR swap. never seen a single cam v ef poppin vtec around here. so just trying to b different, but i like da mini me setup. but i was thinking i have a 4 speed tranny so i gotta get rid of that and i could get a z6 fo $350 and and a si 4 $150. so my question is would the mini-me swap have more power than the z6 or y8?
Old 10-28-2008, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (efjones9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tico &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok to get back and answer this guys original question is DC sports or a jackson racing reader. both carb legal and are very well desinged</TD></TR></TABLE>

Que????? lmao
Old 10-28-2008, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

d16z6 or jdm d15b two best single cam motors ....speaking from experience
Old 10-28-2008, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NATEDEEZY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NATEDEEZY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">d16z6 or jdm d15b two best single cam motors ....speaking from experience</TD></TR></TABLE>
i have seen the jdm d15b with the stage 3 vetc or sumthan like that. it has like two vtec solenoids or sumthan like that. claims to put out 135 bhp? true??
Old 10-28-2008, 10:23 AM

It would have the same hp save 1 or 2 hp. It would have slightly higher compression ratio. Also don't get the z6 tranny thats a hydro tranny which your car does not have unless you want to go through all the trouble of converting it (not worth it IMO) get the Si tranny it's cable...you wont be disappointed....just make sure there are no grinds and the tranny is shifting smoothly before you buy it.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PISTONEMPIRE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PISTONEMPIRE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It would have the same hp save 1 or 2 hp. It would have slightly higher compression ratio. Also don't get the z6 tranny thats a hydro tranny which your car does not have unless you want to go through all the trouble of converting it (not worth it IMO) get the Si tranny it's cable...you wont be disappointed....just make sure there are no grinds and the tranny is shifting smoothly before you buy it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
thanx si tranny no doubt
Old 10-28-2008, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

efjones9 i know what u mean bro. all the efs i see around here are all runnin B-series so i decided to swap a D16Z6 with a D16Y8 intake manifold in my hatch. that motor puts out about 125hp and with the intake mani it is said to be the GSR version for the D-series since the intake runners are smoother and and bend easier. dont do the mini me swap. get the entire motor and of course an Si tranny.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:41 AM

Also I forgot to mention if your car is not Si or an HF you are going have to convert to MPFI (4 injectors) and switch to depending on head you choose to obd1 I personally am running a Obd-2 y8 on obd-0 wiring and ecu PM6 ....it's been done numerous times just do a search.....hope everything turns out great.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:44 AM

Tico why not do a mini-me? They are very reliable when done right
Old 10-28-2008, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tico &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">efjones9 i know what u mean bro. all the efs i see around here are all runnin B-series so i decided to swap a D16Z6 with a D16Y8 intake manifold in my hatch. that motor puts out about 125hp and with the intake mani it is said to be the GSR version for the D-series since the intake runners are smoother and and bend easier. dont do the mini me swap. get the entire motor and of course an Si tranny.</TD></TR></TABLE>
thanx man i see there are still sum d-series ef on the streets of ca
Old 10-28-2008, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PISTONEMPIRE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Tico why not do a mini-me? They are very reliable when done right</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea true. but i picked up my Z6 for 200 fairly complete. pluss i have a B15b1 in my hatch and that motor is a POS imo. the bottom end wouldnt hold up for too long with more horsepower and higher revs. i just wanted to keep everything the same..
Old 10-28-2008, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by efjones9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanx. i just wana be diffrent also. in cali all the efs i see the have the siR swap. never seen a single cam v ef poppin vtec around here. so just trying to b different, but i like da mini me setup. but i was thinking i have a 4 speed tranny so i gotta get rid of that and i could get a z6 fo $350 and and a si 4 $150. so my question is would the mini-me swap have more power than the z6 or y8?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you're keeping the d-series to be different, you obviously don't care about speed so why don't you keep the 4 speed tranny as well? I don't think I've even ever seen one, now that would be original.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:19 AM

I know where your coming from I have a complete y8 swap in my crx. Your motor was a deal but 200 bucks for a complete motor swap is hard to find. My cousin bought a y8 head for 150 over here in RI and that's cheap as hell. I say it all depends on his budget.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:22 AM

Default Re: (Black4thgenEF)

I had a 4-speed 91 hatch and I loved it for everyday city driving. But if he wants any type of decent performance he needs to swap it out........4 gears on the highway is just no fun
Old 10-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A6 si tranny,d16z6 motor and away you go. if your deciding between the d16y8 and the d16z6 take both for a drive if you haven't already. I prefer the z6 and obd1 is easier to tune imo.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (redef90si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Black4thgenEF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If you're keeping the d-series to be different, you obviously don't care about speed so why don't you keep the 4 speed tranny as well? I don't think I've even ever seen one, now that would be original.</TD></TR></TABLE>

whoa whoa whoa lets slow down here bro. just cuz he wants to stay original just as i am doesnt mean he doesnt care about speed. my swap will take out b16s like nothing. and as for the 4 speed. there isnt a chance that u can live in SoCal and never drive on the highways. the 4speed is a pile of junk. sure its damn good for gas milage if u like reving at 5k+ and doing only 70mph. plus the si 5spd is perfect for a budget build.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:28 PM

There are 3 good d-series motors....D16z6,D15bvtec, and Sohc Zc Vtec.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:13 PM

Default Re: (coupej1)

Rockin the D15B vtec, wooot!

Quick Reply: the best d series?????