Notices

Bar a JDM B18C in an EF?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 01:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bar a JDM B18C in an EF?

Hey HT. I'm thinking about buying this EF hatch from a guy out in Las Vegas, but I'm not sure what it would take to BAR the motor/ get it registered in CA. Here are the specs, any help would be appreciated. I've never had to BAR a motor or get an out of state car registered before. Thanks in advance.

MOTOR:
Jdm 96 spec integra type R long block, jdm 96 spec integra type R hydrolic transmission with stock 4.4 final drive. (no grinds shifts perfect)
Hasport mounts (race)
Inovative cable to hydro conversion
Buddy club specIII plus camshafts, Buddy club cam gears
Oem Civic type R N1 crank pulley
BDL industries high flow fuel rail (bronze)
Short ram intake
Tri Y header (hytech replica) custom 2.5"exhaust W/magnaflow cat and Es oval muffler
Obd1 to obd0 ecu jumper harness, obd1 P28 ecu chipped and tuned on chrome
New dual core radiator, electric fan ( on a switch)
New radiator hoses
Mild wire tuck W/ new paint
No ac ( but there is heat)
No ps

INTERIOR:
90 crx si full dash (black) W/ centerconsole and climate controls
90 crx si front seats (small tear on the driver seat. but stiched up )
90 civic si cluster (W/ RPM)
90 civic si rear seats
90 civic si rear cargo cover (black)
Skunk 2 weighted shift ****
Skunk 2 short shifter
NRG short hub
Energy suspension B series shifter bushings
everything else is there. door pannels, rear panels, carpet, ect.

EXTERIOR:
front Euro style corner lights, (new)
front bumper lights , (new)
front bumper, (new)
custom front lip., custom eg side skirts
EDM city lights (side markers, in the jdm location)
5% limo tint all around
OEM honda mudgaurds all around
primmered white body (almost ready for paint)
oem color on the door jams

SUSPENSION:
Tokico illuminas, 5 way adjustable(whites)
H&R race springs
Front upper camber kit W/ new upper ball joints
90 cicic ex (4door) Front "big brakes"
Front lower ball joint
Front sway bar end links( energy suspension)
ARP extended studs (front)
Traction bar
DA integra rear disc brake swap
40/40 integra proportioning valve
Rear camber kit
Rear control arm bushings ( energy suspension)
Rear lower control arms
Blox extended studs
Old 07-14-2010, 02:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bar a JDM B18C in an EF?

i'll tell you right now that if you live in cali you can't bar it. they wont let you. you can get away with direct replacement motors, ie putting a sohc zc into an ef, because they came stock with a single slam non vtec. but no ef ever came stock with a b18c5, thus making the swap a no no. i'm sure big chorizo can get more in depth on it.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

from what little information i gathered i thought it was able to be BARd as long as there is a USDM version of the motor. for example, the B18C has the USDM B18C5 equivalent. but the sr20det can never be BARd because there was never a USDM equivalent.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Laws have changed since this year i believe. Go ahead and snoop around the DMV website, its all in there.

But bottom line is this: You have to swap in a motor that was originally available for that specific make/model.

So if you have an EF si, you can get a d16a6 or the jdm equivalent ZC.

Since there was no EF siR in the states, a b16a is out of the question.

There is something on the DMV site that reads, "list of acceptable motors". Or something like that, but i guess there is a book that tells you what is acceptable to swap over. So who knows, best bet is to call the BAR directly and just ask.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TegLSTypeR
from what little information i gathered i thought it was able to be BARd as long as there is a USDM version of the motor. for example, the B18C has the USDM B18C5 equivalent. but the sr20det can never be BARd because there was never a USDM equivalent.
ok, you do realize that if you go in with the type r motor the motor will have to be converted to obd2. you will have to add in an obd2 scan port and have it be fully functional as well as buy a usdm P73 ECU. then you will have to wire in the immobilizer off the P73. get all the smog equipment from a USDM ITR. So either way you CANNOT use a chipped P28.

the only way i can see you being able to BAR this motor, if the REF allows the motor to even be used, is to convert it to an obd1 GSR. so you would have to swap in a 94-95 GSR head. since thats the only way to tell what year to tell the motor is when doing a visual.

and are you sure its an actual JDM ITR motor?
Old 07-14-2010, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

oh yea, and now the ref gives out specific BAR stickers based on what motor is used. the sticker gets tagges as "conforms to 94-95 B18C1 GSR" or something like that. so you would have to have the car smog as a gsr and not a type r. so smog techs would be looking for either a gsr intake manifold or a CARB approved gsr manifold. a P73 manifold might not pass since its marked for a P73 head and not a P72.

i could be wrong on the part about the manifold, but stickers do come motor specific now. not like the older sticker that just states engine size not motor specific like i have.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the ref's laws changed this year, and they are letting you BAR a jdm motor as long as it has all the emission controls for that motor. a couple of people have even done jdm b16's and the ref let them pass as 95 del sol's. always check with your ref cuz some are cool and some dont like hondas.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DCRB
i'll tell you right now that if you live in cali you can't bar it. they wont let you. you can get away with direct replacement motors, ie putting a sohc zc into an ef, because they came stock with a single slam non vtec. but no ef ever came stock with a b18c5, thus making the swap a no no. i'm sure big chorizo can get more in depth on it.

So how come i have a bar'd LS in my crx
Old 07-14-2010, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HEADS OR TAILS

when did you get it bard? is it obd0 or 1 ?
Old 07-14-2010, 09:35 AM
Stage 3 CLINGER!

As far as I know, as long as it's from the same type of vehicle (ie passenger car, suv, truck) and its the same year or newer than the vehicle, it can be bar'd. And as long as it has all the smog equipment.

I used to have a D15B VTEC in my EJ2, and all I had to do was either put an egr valve on the intake mani, making it a D15Z1, or remove VTEC, making it a D15B7. And I passed inspection.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The laws have been made more strict as of 2010...

As for the same "type" of vehicle, that means same make/MODEL. There was no EF that had either vtec, or dohc, and im speaking of USDM only.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:00 AM
Stage 3 CLINGER!

hmm, so a B18C Type-R 96spec in my 1996 LS will fail?
Even if I put USDM Smog equipment on it?
Old 07-14-2010, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you cant bar a jdm motor but you can bar any usdm motor b16a2, b16a3, b18c1. my homie bar'd a b18c1 in his ek so im positive of this.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HEADS OR TAILS
i don't know why are you trying to start a **** flinging contest? i was just stating the info i know to help the o/p out so he doesn't get mad tickets if he buys it then gets his hood popped.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by singlecamslamed
hmm, so a B18C Type-R 96spec in my 1996 LS will fail?
Even if I put USDM Smog equipment on it?
There is no clear one sentence answer on the DMV website, but everything is leaning towards, "same make/model engine only.".
Originally Posted by handicrx
you cant bar a jdm motor but you can bar any usdm motor b16a2, b16a3, b18c1. my homie bar'd a b18c1 in his ek so im positive of this.
When?
Old 07-14-2010, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wish someone would just quote/post a direct line from the site. I can't find anything anywhere stating directly to requirements.

Until then I'm not believing half of this but I do realize that it is supposed to be a b*tch to get it bar'd.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Nooch
I wish someone would just quote/post a direct line from the site. I can't find anything anywhere stating directly to requirements.

Until then I'm not believing half of this but I do realize that it is supposed to be a b*tch to get it bar'd.
Taken from the CA DMV website

Japanese Replacement Engines
Used engines imported from Japan can be used as replacement engines as long as the engine being used has been identified as functionally identical to the original engine. Please refer to the engine importers catalogue to determine if a replacement engine is legal for installation in your vehicle.

Engine Changes
Engine changes are legal as long as the following requirements are met to ensure that the change does not increase pollution from the vehicle:
The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.

The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy-duty truck, etc.) based on gross vehicle weight.

If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then the engine must also be a California certified engine.

All emissions control equipment must remain on the installed engine.

Vehicles converted to 100% electric drive, with all power supplied by on-board batteries are considered in compliance with the engine change requirements. All fuel system components must be removed prior to inspection. For additional information contact the ARB helpline at (800) 242-4450
This isnt entirely black/white, but the bolded section is where everyone has questions....
Old 07-14-2010, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Every Referee is different, some are a-holes and some are cool and easy. This is taken off the CARB website as of June 14, 2010

Replacement Engines
Entire engines can be replacement parts. As with any other replacement part, the engine must be identical to the original. If the replacement block or engine is obtained without emissions equipment, all the equipment from the original engine must be installed on the replacement block.
If the engine is not identical to the original then it is not a replacement part, instead it is considered an engine change.
Engine changes are a modification that must meet certain requirements to be legal (please see "Engine Changes").

Japanese Replacement Engines
Used engines imported from Japan can be used as replacement engines as long as the engine being used has been identified as functionally identical to the original engine. Please refer to the engine importers catalogue to determine if a replacement engine is legal for installation in your vehicle.

Engine Changes
Engine changes are legal as long as the following requirements are met to ensure that the change does not increase pollution from the vehicle:
The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.
The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy-duty truck, etc.) based on gross vehicle weight.
If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then the engine must also be a California certified engine.
All emissions control equipment must remain on the installed engine.
Vehicles converted to 100% electric drive, with all power supplied by on-board batteries are considered in compliance with the engine change requirements. All fuel system components must be removed prior to inspection. For additional information contact the ARB helpline at (800) 242-4450

After an engine change, vehicles must first be inspected by a state referee station. The vehicle will be inspected to ensure that all the equipment required is in place, and vehicle will be emissions tested subject to the specifications of the installed engine.
That means JDM engines can be swapped in just make sure there is a US version of it. And you can't legally swap a B20, unless its from 89-91 Prelude S.I., but they suck. As for the JDM B18C (not type-r, type-r is B18-C5 I think) into a EF can be BAR'd, just make it look like a bone stock USDM GSR, that means you must put all the emission control devices from a 96 GSR, convert to OBD1 or OBD2 whichever the engine is, and use a USDM P72 ecu, no chipping be safe. Make sure your headers and short ram intake are 50 state legal or CARB approved . Some Reffs are complete a-holes and will fail you if don't have the stock Air Intake, Intake Manifold, Exhaust Manifold, and you must have no check engine light or stored ECU errors. You must pass a visual inspection and a the sniffer. I have heard that the Reff in Sacramento is a cool dude and knows a **** load about Honda's, so make an appointment with BAR at (800) 622-7733.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 91 hb ed6
Every Referee is different, some are a-holes and some are cool and easy. This is taken off the CARB website as of June 14, 2010

That means JDM engines can be swapped in just make sure there is a US version of it. And you can't legally swap a B20, unless its from 89-91 Prelude S.I., but they suck. As for the JDM B18C (not type-r, type-r is B18-C5 I think) into a EF can be BAR'd, just make it look like a bone stock USDM GSR, that means you must put all the emission control devices from a 96 GSR, convert to OBD1 or OBD2 whichever the engine is, and use a USDM P72 ecu, no chipping be safe. Make sure your headers and short ram intake are 50 state legal or CARB approved . Some Reffs are complete a-holes and will fail you if don't have the stock Air Intake, Intake Manifold, Exhaust Manifold, and you must have no check engine light or stored ECU errors. You must pass a visual inspection and a the sniffer. I have heard that the Reff in Sacramento is a cool dude and knows a **** load about Honda's, so make an appointment with BAR at (800) 622-7733.
I just left a message with the california state REF.

Asking if i can put a JDM motor into my 91 civic. But more specifically i asked if the engine can be something that was NOT available in the US. So that way everyone's questions will be answered.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:29 AM
Stage 3 CLINGER!

Originally Posted by 4g4dcruisin
I just left a message with the california state REF.

Asking if i can put a JDM motor into my 91 civic. But more specifically i asked if the engine can be something that was NOT available in the US. So that way everyone's questions will be answered.
Tons of engines that are in Japan were NOT available in the US. Like I said, I had a D15B, which was NOT available in the US. All I had to do was make it the same as a USDM motor, which wasn't that hard. I'm pretty certain he can bar a B18C in an ef, because its from the same type of car (passenger), and it's a newer motor. He just has to make sure it has all of the smog equipment from a B18C1 or C5 depending if its a Type-R or GSR B18C. And the ref will tell you what needs to be done to the JDM motor in order for it to be bar'd.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why does this topic always get blown in many different directions...engine changes and replacement engines are in different categories and yet i still see people trying to combine the two together.

you can bar most jdm motors as long as you use the usdm emission equipment assigned to that particular motor which is considered a engine change not a replacement motor...enough of the he said she said nonsense since no one has yet to show me a direct link or scan a current copy of the rule that says you can't bar a jdm motor.

its all up to the particular ref you see if he wants to let you pass or not...what still amazes me is that people who supposably ask these refs if jdm motors are legal to bar and yet not one person has challenged that ref to supply the proof in writing.

Last edited by BiG ChOr!Zo; 07-14-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the replies guys. I heard that you get to fail the inspection as many times as you want and they won't do anything and most refs will tell you exactly what you need to do in order to get the engine BARd. It this true? Thanks again for all the answers, I appreciate it because this car is going to be my beater.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BiG ChOr!Zo
why does this topic always get blown in many different directions...engine changes and replacement engines are in different categories and yet i still see people trying to combine the two together.

you can bar most jdm motors as long as you use the usdm emission equipment assigned to that particular motor which is considered a engine change not a replacement motor...enough of the he said she said nonsense since no one has yet to show me a direct link or scan a current copy of the rule that says you can bar a jdm motor.

its all up to the particular ref you see if he wants to let you pass or not...what still amazes me is that people who supposably ask these refs if jdm motors are legal to bar and yet not one person has challenged that ref to supply the proof in writing.
Thats because there doesnt appear to be one online! I left a message with the REF and they're supposed to call me back, so i'll let you know.

But remember, there is a supposed manual, listing LEGAL replacement/changed motors. So whenever i get them on the phone i'll ask where that literature is.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4g4dcruisin
Thats because there doesnt appear to be one online! I left a message with the REF and they're supposed to call me back, so i'll let you know.

But remember, there is a supposed manual, listing LEGAL replacement/changed motors. So whenever i get them on the phone i'll ask where that literature is.
if i see something in writing (not verbal) i will gladly retract my rant...until then im still on pms
Old 07-14-2010, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BiG ChOr!Zo
if i see something in writing (not verbal) i will gladly retract my rant...until then im still on pms
Well, whenever i hear from them. Im going to ask for some sort of documentation. I've done something like this before but dealing with used car fraud, they'll give you the information you're asking for.

Quick Reply: Bar a JDM B18C in an EF?