Notices

Anyone done a ZC install??

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2002, 05:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone done a ZC install??

Hello,

I'm about to purchase a ZC engine for my 88 CRX Si. I've been hearing that it should just bolt right up. Can anyone tell me if I should watch out for something or change certain parts to make the install successful?

thanks for your help!
Old 04-11-2002, 05:10 AM

Default Re: Anyone done a ZC install?? (vtechhead)

optional: Clutch (I'd hate to install a new engine and find out the clutch is bad)
water pump, fuel pump, timing belt, any belts that may look worn, plugs and wires, umm anything else that would make you feel more secure. You don't really have to change anything if you don't want to. Oh, if you have the money you should put in the lighten flywheel while you are putting the clutch on.
Old 04-11-2002, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone done a ZC install?? (Lil Cs Zc)

add to that timing belt tensioner, its the standard "d" block one.
Keep ion mind your "88 has a unusual sline count. unless you are swapping transmissions keep that in mind when you buy a clutch. And yes, if you have the ZC manifold, (both pieces) it bolts right to your cat, and all the mounts bolt right up. Also if you have a DX you want an Si or an HF throttle cable as the DX will work it just requires creative routing. AND I repat this AND you have to shim the driverside motor mount or you will f**k up your hood when the timing cover puts a big dent in it the first time you close the hood. 2 or 3 washers on both bolts is enough. If you see a JDM ZC hood there is a bubble to clear that. You could take off the cover and it would fit, but I would preffer to shim it and keep the cover on it. You don't want sand and debris getting caught up in the belt.

[Modified by virginia_dude, 9:29 AM 4/11/2002]

[Modified by virginia_dude, 9:32 AM 4/11/2002]
Old 04-11-2002, 05:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the other hand from Lil C's experiences, I put a timing belt and a thermostat on mine. That's it. That was about 35,000 miles and 3 + years ago. I spent about $100 at the most to do the swap, and that includes fluids, plug wires, T-Belt, Thermostat, and a few tools.

I definately don't think you need to change the entire distributor. If it works, why replace it? Same goes for the O2 sensor. If it ain't broke, don't spend a ton of cash replacing it. If you do replace the O2 sensor, GET A HONDA ONE! Anything that isn't extremely difficult to replace with the motor in the car, wait and see if it works ok before spending the money.

The basic tools you'll NEED are...

Sockets (10, 12, 14, 17, 19 mil, 1 1/4 inch or respective mil socket for axels).
3/8" drive racket
1/2" drive rachet
Box/Open end wrenches (10, 12, 14, 17, 19 mil)
6 mil (I think but correct me) punch for the shift linkage
Screw Drivers of various size and shape
Pliers for those damn hose clamps

Tools that help are....

Big Breaker Bar
Big Breaker Bar
Big Breaker Bar
and
a Big Breaker Bar

That's really about it. It's really really easy to do. Everything is really straight forward. You'll need to replug the distributor, but its just matching White to White, White with red dot to White with red dot, etc.

For the average person doing the average swap (ie: nothing goes horribly wrong) it should take about 2 days at the most. Take your time with the on the distributor so you don't mix up the white wires.

Old 04-11-2002, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all i can say is that there are better choices then ZCs, which overall have more troubles then any other d/b/h/f-series motor....they are old, they have been beaten on and most have at least 50-75k miles on them (not km as everyone thinks)

your money would be better spent on a D16z6 or D16y8 which is much newer, and as easy to swap...

just my 0.2$$$
Old 04-11-2002, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

clutch, t/belt, w/pump, t/stat, cam seals and crank seal, bypass hoses, if it takes more than a weekend you probaly shouldn't be doing it!!
Old 04-11-2002, 12:08 PM

if it takes more than a weekend you probaly shouldn't be doing it!!

Does that mean you don't have the skill, and this is a easy simple swap ?
One of the reasons it took us 7 weeks is b/c we were waiting on parts. I had to get another harness, ecu, fuel cap.

No doubt. I did a B18 to 5th G Civic swap once. It took about 3 1/2 hours to get the motor out. About 45 min to get the new engine in the bay and plugged up and bolted with the two side mounts. It took another week to find a rear trans mount when we realized the one we had was from an auto! We could have had it done in less than a day if it wasn't for waiting on parts. There's no shame in drawn out swaps. Shlt happens. Its better than paying someone else to do it!
Old 04-11-2002, 12:12 PM

It took me three weeks to do a b16 swap but really on one weekend to do the swap. The other time was spent waiting for parts.
Old 04-11-2002, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone done a ZC install?? (91civic)

I'm with AJK on this one. I'd get a Y8. They can be had for about the same price as the ZC, about the same power and MUCH easier to get parts (I KNOW there are parts list for the ZC, but Y8 parts are ALL Y8 parts, no mix and match). Plus, a Y8 will be AT LEAST 5 years newer. JMO, Overkll

[Modified by Overkll, 4:49 PM 4/11/2002]
Old 04-11-2002, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Anyone done a ZC install?? (eg6ajk)

the d16z6 is a SOHC VTEC tho, which means you would need to setup the wiring for the vtec system. where as the ZC is non vtec
Old 04-11-2002, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone done a ZC install?? (PlatinumGenes)

Don't be afraid of the wiring, it's not that difficult to do. Just get the wiring diagrams and pull out the solder. It takes time to figure out, but it's worthwhile in the long run. If not, buy a conversion harness from Blown90hatch and save yourself the work. HTH, Overkll
Old 04-11-2002, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone done a ZC install?? (Overkll)

sorry lil c didn't mean to bust on you i know **** happens believe me, everything that can go wrong will, just giving an estimate on removing the old and droping the new .
Old 04-11-2002, 07:15 PM

Default Re: Anyone done a ZC install?? (dohcsideSi)

A ZC is a very easy swap! , I do recomend changing the T. belt and water pump, as for a clutch, use a si tranny and a buy a clutch for the si tranny. If the car has an si the wirring it plugs in directly , the extra sensor which is driven by the exhaust cam has a blue/green and a blue /yellow wire , connect the same color wires for the si distributer to that sensor. And guess what ? Your done ! If it takes seven weeks to do a 5 hour swap , you do not need to work on your car, I saw my Mechanic at LHT do one in 3 hours and he drove us to lunch in it , He said this is the best bang for the buck , and he does a ton of them.
Old 04-11-2002, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Anyone done a ZC install?? (eg6ajk)

all i can say is that there are better choices then ZCs, which overall have more troubles then any other d/b/h/f-series motor....they are old, they have been beaten on and most have at least 50-75k miles on them (not km as everyone thinks)
your money would be better spent on a D16z6 or D16y8 which is much newer, and as easy to swap...

just my 0.2$$$
_______

IN REPLY:

Those "D" engines you mentioned are those the original stock USDM si and dx models that came in the CRX originally? If so, and if it were newer I would have to pay more $ and not gain any power Thanks for your .2cents though. [IMG][/IMG]

[Modified by vtechhead, 12:06 AM 4/12/2002]
Old 04-11-2002, 08:06 PM

The d16z6 came stock in the 92-95 civic ex/si. The d16y8 came in the 96 and up ex's i believe. They both have a little under 130 hp. They will probably run you about as much as a zc swap would.
Old 04-11-2002, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Anyone done a ZC install?? (Overkll)

I'm with AJK on this one. I'd get a Y8. They can be had for about the same price as the ZC, about the same power and MUCH easier to get parts (I KNOW there are parts list for the ZC, but Y8 parts are ALL Y8 parts, no mix and match). Plus, a Y8 will be AT LEAST 5 years newer. JMO, Overkll

[Modified by Overkll, 4:49 PM 4/11/2002]
All this sounds great, but how easy will it install into my 88 crx si?? Is it as easy as a ZC install??? thanks
Old 04-11-2002, 08:35 PM

Make sure you have about $800 set aside incase somthing goes wrong.
You can use your crx si harness. You can use a jdm zc ecu or a integra ecu.
The zc bolts right into your crx.
You should change these parts:
spark plug wires
spark plugs
1989 Acure Integra Disturboter
Engine mounts
Timing belt
Alternator belt
AC belt
Thermostat
Oxygen Sensor
Upper and lower Radiator hose
Exhaust gasket
Exhaust manifold gasket
Fuel Filter
Then you might have to buy extra parts like the wheel bearings, Ball joints , Extra hoses,Fluids, Gojo.
You will need alot of tools for the swap.
My simple 4 day zc swap took 7 weeks and I spent $600 more than I thought I would just for the swap extra parts. I can give you some helpfull zc page links if you would like to read up on it some more
*lil c
Cool, can you give me those zc web links? I need all the help I can get. Peace out!