Another code 17

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 03:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another code 17

This is a 88 civic LX..1.5L…5 speed cable driven clutch and Speedo cable. Sorry I don’t' know what ECU or tranny...

OK, so I have been doing much searching and reading about the VSS code 17.

Here is my situation....Swapped my cluster and repined using the diagrams from http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?p=65118 . I don't know what I had originally in there but nothing matched the diagram..I installed a cluster from a 88-89 cluster…. The tack and speedo, odometer work fine but I am getting a code 17.

I know that pin 5 (yel/red) on the 8-pin plug goes to the ECU with the pulses from the VSS.

My first problem...I have 2 wires that are yel/red on the 8-pin plug. One wire has 5v with the key on. I made the assumption this is the wire to the ECU. but I am still getting a code 17, even after pulling the battery cable and resetting the ECU. Is this the correct yel/red wire. I am not sure what else a yel/red wire goes to??

Next question....I can get my DVM on the back of the cluster, what should I expect to see at the screw connections to the VSS?? It looks like one screw goes to ground, the other goes to the pin 5...the pin to the ECU.

I am really thinking that I have a wiring problem with this newer cluster but I want to know how to test the VSS in the cluster to ensure it is good.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another code 17

Update...

Well today I figured out how to test the VSS on the speedo itself. The information I have says you should get 4 continuity per rotation of the speedo. On the cluster in question, it never changes state. I am leaning towards the fact that the cluster I just picked up, the VSS doesn't work....

BUT, I was hoping someone could verify which yel/red wire goes to the VSS.....I have 2 yel/red wires. One has 5v on it, the other, I don't know where it goes. Any help would be great...
Old 05-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

position 5 on your 12 pin plug is the wire for the oil pressure light. and you are correct, position 5 on the 8 pin plug is the wire that sends the vss pulse back to the ecu. soooo if the speedometer is working, and the wire is hooked up properly, then it seems most likely the cluster is defective.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks....but that is my questions. I have 2 yel/red wires. One has 5v the other doesn't. Is this correct yel/red wire that goes to the ECU have 5V????
Old 05-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by new_climber
Thanks....but that is my questions. I have 2 yel/red wires. One has 5v the other doesn't. Is this correct yel/red wire that goes to the ECU have 5V????
well the one for the oil pressure light should only have voltage for that first second you turn the car on, then it should go back to zero. process of elimination leads me to believe the other one goes to the ecu.. like i said, i just checked and the 5th wire on the 8-pin harness is the one which goes to the ecu. i can't tell you what it is supposed to be reading though. the info i found on how to test it talks about probing some wire but neglects to be specific on where it is located.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info...

From what I have read, the pulsor goes a ground, so I am thinking the ECU must look for the 5v to drop. Depending on how fast one is going will depend on the 5v pulses it get.

My only concern was blowing something either in the VSS or in the ECU. I am hoping to work on it tomorrow...

Thx again for the info...
Old 05-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not a prob. here just take a look at what i did find, albeit not as complete and detailed as one would prefer, lol. you were certainly on to somethin with the voltage droppin off..

"Raise and support front of vehicle, block rear wheels and apply hand brake.
Push voltmeter or test lamp positive probe into yellow/black wire terminal at control box No. 1 connector. Connect negative probe to suitable ground.
Start engine, then place selector lever in second gear or No. 2 position.
Accelerate slowly and observe voltmeter. Battery voltage should be present below 6 mph and no voltage above 12 mph.
If voltage is present below approximately 6 mph and no voltage above 12 mph, speed sensor is satisfactory. If voltmeter readings do not correspond with mph ranges, replace speed sensor and repeat test. If voltage is not present during test, proceed to step 6.
Check for faulty electrical connection, fuse or faulty speed sensor. Repair or replace as necessary and repeat test."