Notices

91 EF hatch build

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 EF hatch build

Well I just got back into Hondas! My very first car was a 90 dx hatch. Hands down my favorite car of many. To my regret, before I joined the military I sold it, not knowing how much id miss it. Now almost 5 years later I have found another! This one owner si sat in a barn for ~8 years after the owner passed away, and in a round about way I acquired it in a trade! It is mostly original, I even found the original sales contract in the glove box along with service paper work, dmv registrations, and random grocery receipts from the early 90's. I am not 100% sure of what route I will take with this build, after all it has been many years since working on cars and I do not have the benefit of living near my friends that provided me with a bunch of help in my last hatch. Basically I am starting over, and learning it all again. I know I will keep the appearance of the car as OEM as I can. One day I want it resprayed its factory color. I will definitely be doing a swap as I enjoy going down the 1/4 in under 12.5sec lol.

The day I trailered it home

The typical interior of a "I got a civic to trade" hatch

Soup kitchen?

Cleaning up well

A few hours later it looks pretty good!
Old 10-11-2018, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 91 EF hatch build

First funky problem....

Never seen a plug with that sort of build up.

Did I over pay lol, whats a good deal on one of these?

The haunted A6.
It is a D16A6, that has some sort of ghost in it... I have just started driving the car after cleaning it up. I took it on a 80 mile trip and it drove great, no over heating, strange sounds, but a tiny amount of white smoke at high RPMs before shifting gears. I was not to concerned about the smoke since is was so light, but decided to check the oil levels before taking it to school the next day just to be safe, and good thing I did!!! before the 80 mile drive the dip stick had oil right below the max fill line, and in the morning it did not show anything on the stick.. where did this 3 1/2 qts oil go? checked the radiator, its clean green. filled it back up with oil and it has sat a week in my garage, and there are zero leaks under the car. I am picking up a compression tester this after noon to test the engine. Any ideas about what it could be? Just incase I am forced to pull the engine to attempt my first rebuild, I picked up a "running" D15B7 long block to drop in while I fix up the A6.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Compression test results #1 140, #2 115, #3 135, #4 80. Thoughts? pull the head off and look around or swap to the b7?
Old 10-11-2018, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Obviously there are issues. You would need to do a leak down test to determine where the issue(s) is. Likely to be the head and bent/burned valves. If it were me, I would keep the D16 but if you are going to mod it, have at it.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like you are saying pull the head off? Cool ill start now, never done it before so ill just start pulling **** off
Old 10-11-2018, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by arries289
Obviously there are issues. You would need to do a leak down test to determine where the issue(s) is. Likely to be the head and bent/burned valves. If it were me, I would keep the D16 but if you are going to mod it, have at it.
Battery, intake, dizzy, and valve cover removed so far.

Progress so far.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

oh i see # 4 is running a little low
once you get the head off theres a old easy trick you can do to see if the head is leaking at the valves

you turn it over so the bottom of the valves are facing up
and then you just fill the camber with water
and if the water stays your valves are seating and sealing ^_^

but if it leaks threw then you need to replace witch ever one is leaking
to find out witch one is leaking the water will come out either threw the exhaust or intake side of the head

if you find a bad valve then your rebuild can stop there and just fix the valve and dont even touch the block

but if the heads find then we get to play with new piston rings

let me know how it goes ^_^
Old 10-13-2018, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks a ton for that info!!! Ill keep you updated.

Last edited by Coddfish; 10-13-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Back at the project tonight. Hard to find free time between school and work. In the process of taking off the header. got it unbolted from the head, but I don't have enough clearance to take it off the studs. Detached it from above the cat, but still not enough space, I think ill have to pull the radiator to get it off.