89-b16 speedomoter issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 89-b16 speedomoter issues

i have an 89 hatch with a b16 i had some guy put it in cause i didnt know how to do the dpfi to mpfi convo after all was said and done the guy did what i was thinking to do and just wire 4 injectors to the two wires just one of many retarded things im finding out as i try to diag my stupid issues most important is i gave him the car and my speedometer worked just fine he gave me my car back and now i keep popping the fuse to the cluster (the 10 amp one) and i never kno how fast im going i have an ls cable tranny and have tried three different vss's three cables and swapped out my dx cluster back in just to see if it works and same **** so i put the si cluster back in. as for the ecu idk wtf it is he just told me its a socketed ecu there is nothing on it to tell me what it started as he did an obd0-1 jumper but gave me an obd0 b16 if i put someone tall in the passanger seat and they press with their left foot it throws a 3 and 4 code but i wiggle the harness wires and it goes away. my speedo works after i hit 35 it will say im going ten if im going about 100 it says about 25 ive tried and my homies have tried i work at a shop with a couple reputable mechanics and we couldnt figure it out either yall can roast me if you want but i need advise on how to fix this issue i just got a ticket for 103 here in SD i thought i was going about 85 so i gotta get this **** fixed lol any help direction and advise is greatly appreciated i got other issues i need help on as well but this is something i need fixed asap im tired of having to turn off/on my car when i drive through the city as soon as my cel comes on to get vtec working again lol

Last edited by rastaross619; 07-26-2012 at 10:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-06-2012, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 89-b16 speedomoter issues

REALLY a whole lot of views n no info i need help wit dis issue could it be that i got a wiring issue? idk if that could be cause the speedo is cable driven is it possible that the gear in the tranny that runs the vss is bad?. any direction will be used at this point ive tried all i could and made a few trips to my local junk yard and got things to try to help right now i have five cables in my house 4 vss's three clusters if its possible that i got a wiring issue imma have to pull a dash apart and get the wiring harness. its more work than i have wanted to do but at this point i need to do what i need to do lol F&*% it someone has to have gone through this issue
Old 08-06-2012, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First of all I counted only two periods in your first post making it extremely hard to read and understand. I don't know what to tell you about the speedo working except that your car has a mechanical cable driven speedo meaning it would work even if you have no power whatsoever. This means you have a problem getting the cable to clip into the vss or the back of the speedo. As for your other fuse/ecu/wiring issues those are gonna be a completely different issue. What you need to do is ID the error codes for the OBDI ECU and go from there.
Also slow the f@ck down!!! Getting caught doing 103mph has no excuse period except stupidity. You will end up killing innocent people including children.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got a little confused trying to read through this. But if your speedo doesn't work it is either vss, speedo cable, cluster. It has to be one of them 3 so your continuously getting bad parts or not connecting it right.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had an issue with the speedo working in my car when I put the motor in, turned out that when I put my trans together I forgot to put the little speedo gear/wheel on. So the cable was in and seated properly but the transmission wasnt spinning it because it had no gear. Take the speedo cable out and make sure you can see that speedo gear in the transmission. It sounds like it is possible since this guy messed up so much already.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was going to tackle putting my speedo cable in, does it intail taking out the cluster? is it hard?
Old 08-21-2012, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 89-b16 speedomoter issuesunder the dach

Originally Posted by Chase.clint
i was going to tackle putting my speedo cable in, does it intail taking out the cluster? is it hard?
if your replacing the whole cable yes you have to take out the cluster. but its really easy to do maybe 25min. you undo the cable from the cluster, look under your dash there is a plastic clip holding the cable onto something unclip it dont pull it off, follow the cable from the vss to the firewall take out the rubber gromit it doesnt come off the cable. undo the clip on the vss where the cable goes in (dont loose that clip) the cable will pop right out. then push the cable out from inside the car out to the engine bay. when putting in the new cable make sure the cable goes into the groove inside the vss correctly you'll know what im talking about when you take the cable out. then putting in the new one start with clipping the cable in with the horseshoe clip first and go backwards from how you took it out then your done ---
Old 08-21-2012, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crxin
I had an issue with the speedo working in my car when I put the motor in, turned out that when I put my trans together I forgot to put the little speedo gear/wheel on. So the cable was in and seated properly but the transmission wasnt spinning it because it had no gear. Take the speedo cable out and make sure you can see that speedo gear in the transmission. It sounds like it is possible since this guy messed up so much already.
i can see the gear when i have the vss out idk wtf anymore lol i went and got a garmin gps and use that for my speedo lol ty for the input though