Notices

1991 CRX Turbo B18 project/build thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 05:01 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Re: 1991 CRX Turbo B18 project/build thread

I think the throttle issue was the O2 sensor/closed loop acting up somehow. I pulled it out yesterday and uploaded an open loop tune, so either with that or because it wasn't warmed up yet it seems to be revving like normal now.

I started on the hood pin install, need to pick up a bigger drill bit. And the nylon tubing I have for my coolant overflow tank is leaking, so I need to pick up some real heater hose I guess. Otherwise everything is seeming solid and ready to go
Old 03-09-2018, 02:14 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Got the throttle issue figured out today. Noticed on Smanager I had no TPS signal...

Found tps wire to the ecu, and sure enough they had a wire spliced into it that went to a ground... I have no idea how this happened, maybe I messed something up when I was wiring stuff. Anyway, I snipped that wire and the car drove fine. Went and filled it up with shitty winter mix E70, so it started running too lean. Planning to make a different calibration for E70.

Anywho, the fan was working great, but on the way back it sounded like the relay started clicking like crazy. Idk if there’s a bad connection, or the relay is bad, or what. I couldn’t find anything. I hope that by snipping that ground wire from the tps it wasn’t supposed to be a ground for the ecu or something else 🤔 ah well. It stopped after a bit.

Also got the hood pins installed. They were a bitch to get lined up, and still aren’t perfectly symmetrical, but close enough.

Old 03-16-2018, 05:06 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Found the issue with the sporadic fan relay today. I had the maximum speed for the fan to kick on at 45mph. When driving right around that speed, it would click on and off quickly. I set the max speed to 150mph now and it works great.

Today I also wired in a fuse to the fan relay, picked up a fuse adapter to power my gauges off the fuse box (currently the wires are just jammed under fuse blades).

Last thing I did was wire my wideband to D10 on the ecu. I still need to cut the resistors and calibrate it, but excited to finally be able to datalog my AFR! Might make a quick video about how to do this.

Aside from that, the car drove beautifully today. Was a little lean under boost, possibly bc my IAT was so low with the colder temps out. IAT never got above 85-90 even while boosting. Might have better air flow and intercooling now with the new radiator as well. It was staying in mid to high 12's AFR, so I'm going to add some fuel compensation for colder temps and see how it does.

ECT was also perfect, stayed at 185 most of the time until sitting idle after driving a bit. Had the fan switched to come on at 195 and it cycled maybe 3 times during a 20 minute drive. Cooled it back down in about 30 seconds.

The new turbo spins way better than the old worn out one! I wasn't going WOT enough to notice a quicker spool, but when hitting boost then letting off I could hear it continue to spin that never happened before. And the BOV would continue to bleed off pressure with the throttle closed while it spooled down. Was pretty awesome.

Next on my list is to hook up my heater core so I can start driving it soon, even with the cold mornings
Old 03-17-2018, 06:27 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Feelin like the engine bay looks much nicer now. S2 rad looks great, also less crowded and cleaned up some of the wiring and whatnot. Still needs a deep cleaning and some paint if I ever pull the motor out for any reason.

Today I finished hooking up the wideband to the ecu, works great and I’m ready to roll

Old 03-18-2018, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the CRX man. Been following the build and your other threads for awhile, has helped me figure out some of my own components of my build.
Did you just go with the rebuild? I just bought a STC Hunter just waiting for some warmer weather and need to get my garage wired up for lights and my welder. Not sure what there is for auto x events in Rochester but there are regular auto x events at DCTC and other locations south of the cities.
https://www.mnautox.com/
I'm planing on doing some of these auto x events and making it up to BIR for Proving Grounds and PowerCruise. You should try to make it up there if you can, even if the car wont make it.

Good luck with the build, keep at it. Glad you kept the car I think I saw it on Craigslist.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:09 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 9TechNine9
Good luck with the build, keep at it. Glad you kept the car I think I saw it on Craigslist.

Thanks, I’m glad I kept it too. It’s easy to want to give up when running into problems you can’t figure out, but with most of them sorted now I get a great deal of enjoyment out of this car.

I was considering the Hunter turbo but went with a new Garrett t3/t4 instead due to the price. So far I am very happy with it though.

I am taking things very slowly with the car as I want to make sure every detail is right before I try actually pushing it hard or racing. Hoping this year I get to that comfort level with it and I’ll be keeping my eyes open for opportunities, both autox and drags
Old 03-23-2018, 04:28 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

The crx has heat now. Today I flushed out the core to check for leaks, then hooked the hoses back up to it that had been looped.

Here are some crappy pics of the process.

Garden hose hooked up and the black heater hose outlet onto driveway
Used this adapter kit from Autozone. The bolt plug was custom.
Surprised me that it still had green coolant in the core that came out at first.
Tried to protect electronics from potential leaks.
Flushed until water ran clear.
Made new hoses and hooked it up which was the biggest pain.
Overall the process plus burping the coolant system took me about an hour and a half. Heat works ok, not the best tho. Seems to be a problem with the blower fan.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good progress
Old 03-26-2018, 06:39 PM
EFB055

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you had any dramas with the location of your catch can? (is that it attached to the radiator?) I've got mine at a similar height and im worried it'll be too low.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:29 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ~sp33~
Have you had any dramas with the location of your catch can? (is that it attached to the radiator?) I've got mine at a similar height and im worried it'll be too low.
Nah, after putting a few hundred miles on it last summer, I drained maybe 1-2 ounces of oil out of the can. Seems to be working fine at my power level. And yeah it is attached to the radiator. Eventually I would like to re-do the hot side intercooler piping to clear up the area to the driver's side and install a nicer catch can setup over there.
Old 03-30-2018, 03:56 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Drove the car into work today. I got the closed loop running off of the wideband now and it's running great. I tried messing with the voltage offset to get it to match the gauge more closely, but it didn't seem to make much difference and it's close enough as it is. The AFR changes so fast it's impossible to read them both accurately at the same time.

Cooling system is working awesome. The only thing I am going to work on is my fuel tables, it is running a little leaner than I'd like under boost (12.5ish) and I've checked all my compensations and nothing should be causing that to happen. Only thing I can figure is that with the new turbo, it is flowing more air at a certain PSI than the old was? Not sure.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:00 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Okay so double post I know, but I am working through the tune a little today since I now have my wideband wired to the ecu so I can datalog AFR's and adjust. My god does that make it easier. Anywho, all of my boost columns are requiring about a 10% increase in fuel to get to my target AFR (11.50). This new turbo spools way quicker and apparently flows much better than the old one! I am hitting 12psi (current boost controller setting) by 4500rpms, and at that moment my TPS was only at 65% because I was peddling for traction. This is incredible

Also I am noticing much cooler IAT's than before since switching to the half rad is allowing better air flow. IAT's never reached more than about 20-30 degrees warmer than ambient temp and it's cold out today. I'd say that's pretty good for a shitty Godspeed intercooler.

Last edited by 2x0; 03-30-2018 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Finally, you're getting to have some well earned fun with the car! We just got hit with another 6 inches of snow with more on the way so it will be a while yet for us
Old 03-30-2018, 11:38 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah it’s going to get way cold here again for the foreseeable future, so not sure when I’ll take the car out again. The heat works now so it’s not too bad, but cold tires make no traction in boost.

I also think Ive figured out that my vibration issue is a bad tire. I’ve had them checked, balanced and even remounted on new wheels by 3 different shops and they didn’t find an issue. But I am feeling it more now at various speeds and when just cruising, so maybe a broken belt or soft spot on one tire from it sitting in storage before.

I plan on swapping the wheels front to back to see if it changes anything. Should’ve done that a long time ago. If it is the problem, I’m eyeing a set of Toyo R888’s for the front

Last edited by 2x0; 03-30-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hell yeah man nice !
Old 03-30-2018, 04:43 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Almost forgot, I picked up this Airtex FS121 fuel strainer. From reading on the CRX forums, it seems to be a common problem that the universal strainers that come with Walbro pumps only access about half of the fuel tank capacity on HF’s. This is supposed to be one that will access all of the capacity.

Going to drop the tank and throw this in when I get a chance. I don’t really see how this will get me another 6 gallons...... but worth a shot

Old 03-30-2018, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm currently running Toyo R888's in the front on my crx, 225/50/15's. One thing that bothers me is that the tread pattern is reversed and looks like its going the wrong way on the passenger side. I reached out to Toyo they said that this was normal and since I have seen other cars with the same backward looking tread pattern. Anyway, that personally bothers me, along with I would recommend buying a 45 side wall, the 50 on a 225 is REALLY beefy.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:10 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I am definitely looking for 225/45’s. That tread pattern seems strange, I think it would bother me too and I wasn’t aware of that, so thank you.

Ive also looked at the RA1’s but they are a little more pricey. Might check out MT or M&H radials as well.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:32 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Here were the planned activities for today.

- Fix and replace broken and missing exhaust hangers
- Swap front tires/wheels to rear. Drive to see if vibration changes.
- Adjust rear camber to fit the 225’s
- Fix radio (wouldn’t turn on last time I drove)
- Drop fuel tank to install new fuel strainer
- Replace fuel line clamp under car that was loose (found this while I was under there today)

I didn’t get time to drive it to check the vibration yet. Also did not get around to dropping the tank. After watching the how to, decided I should run the fuel down in the tank and/or drain it before I drop it. Maybe next week.

The radio seems to just be broken. I checked for power and it’s getting 12V to the back, and the ground is good. So idk.

First I picked up a tuning laptop I found on CL for $30. Came with a docking station, charger, and a bag. The only issue is it sometimes has a fan error I guess. Seems like it was a steal though.

Then I ran to autozone for some various exhaust hangers. I noticed earlier that my rear one over the axle was all stretched out. Then today I found one under the car missing entirely.

Got the car up on jackstands and took care of those first, along with the hanging fuel line.

Next was to tackle the rear camber and swap the wheels around. I was in for a real treat there. Previous owner had the. Camber arms installed wrong, one side had an end flipped 180 from the other. I didn’t have the right size wrenches to break loose the seized nuts either, so there was a second trip to autozone...

Passenger side
Drivers side. Notice how the inner joint was flipped.
Had to pick up some supplies to continue with the job...
This is how they were before I corrected them.
And the final fitment.
I took some time to inspect the suspension and look for any work bushings or parts that need replaced. To my surprise, the RTA bushings have already been done.

Should be driving next week it the weather cooperates and it gets above the 20’s like its supposed to
Old 04-11-2018, 03:08 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Drove her to work this morning. Was 30 degrees and a little moist out but I said eff it. The heat works great.

I am pretty sure my vibration issue has been the front tires all along

Next purchase will be a pair of 225/45 R888's. Am thinking I will keep the 195 Direzza's on the back for now as they are like new.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How frustrating! Glad you finally solved it at least
Old 04-12-2018, 05:28 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LankorDie
How frustrating! Glad you finally solved it at least
Yeah, I mean I am hoping that's what it is. With those tires on the back, the vibration really didn't come through the steering wheel at all. I am thinking it is a soft spot on the tire, it's really odd though. On a cold morning, there is practically no vibration. After driving a bit then I start to notice it and the vibration gets firmer under throttle, I am thinking because the tires soften up a bit with heat in them and throttle puts more load on them. I guess we will see. After driving in the afternoon it was shaking the whole car again, right around 30-40mph while accelerating and then smoothing out from there.

Ordered a new Walbro 255 today. I am planning to start dropping the tank tomorrow to put the new strainer in, and figured while I am at it I would replace the pump for peace of mind. The one in there has to be 4-5 years old minimum, and on e85 I've heard they can wear out more quickly.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:48 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

The plan today was to pull the gas tank and be ready to put in the new pump and strainer once the pump arrives. Then once I got that far I was going to start on my valve lash adjustment.

The tank came out pretty easy, entire process took maybe an hour which is not bad for my first time, plus I had to drain the half tank that was left in it first.

I got really pissed after though because my new fuel strainer disappeared! I spent an hour looking everywhere for it, so I wasn’t able to get into the valve adjustment today. I guess I’ll be ordering a new one.

Pulled out the interior bits to get at the sending unit, remove the cover and disconnect the wires.
Drained the few extra gallons that I could to reduce the weight of the tank. I couldn’t burn any more with the old Walbro strainer not reaching the bottom of the tank.
Lowered it down and disconnected the e85 fuel lines they had installed. This is after disconnecting the fill hose, breather, and ground wire for the pump.
As it sits now
Old Walbro with the short sock on it. Really wish I could find the Airtex one to do a side by side.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:05 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Today the plan was to drop in the new fuel pump and strainer, reinstall the tank, then move on to the valve lash adjustment.

Had an issue with the pump tho, I apparently ordered the wrong one. GSS340 when I needed the 341, which has a different inlet. I said screw it and put everything back together with the old pump.

This was the + wire they had going to the fuel pump. It was pinched between the fuel tank and bottom of the trunk, just about worn thru. So I replaced it and rerouted around the tank.

Finally made myself a nice work top area.

Old pump and strainer vs the new ones.

Noticed that the cam gears don’t seem to be aligned perfectly. Trying to figure out whats up with that.

Everything inside looked nice and clean.

Got half way done with the valve adjustment. Some were too tight, and some too loose on the intake side. Going to finish up the exhaust cam later.

New pump wiring just before putting the tank back in. Just has the new strainer for now, still using the old pump.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:28 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

Looks like you’re not rotated enough for the cam gear alignment

Quick Reply: 1991 CRX Turbo B18 project/build thread