1991 Civic Dx Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Civic Dx Questions

Alright guys... So I hope I'm in the right section here. I recently got this car and have some really rookie-a$$ questions. New to the Honda scene, so bear with me here.

So, I'm trying to figure out what motor I have here. Block says D15B. Has the Non-Vtec motor with the plugs closest to firewall, and the offset Honda Emblem.

From varying sources I've been told D15b Non-Vtec JDM motor, D15b7, and a few others. So what am I working with, and what is my factory power output?

Also, what is the funky thing on the back of the head where Vtec typically is in pic #2? Resembles an Egr, but I was under the impression it would not be located here? Although, the capper vaccum limes scream Egr to me... Like I said, Honda Rookie here... help me out fellas!

--Foot--

Old 08-30-2017, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Re: 1991 Civic Dx Questions

the engine you have is an OBD0 JDM D15B which was originally the dual carb model D15B that some one removed the dual carbs from and installed the DPFI intake from a D15B1 or D15B2 onto it - the thing on the back of the head is the mechanical fuel pump used on the carb engine, which is actuated by the camshaft - most people remove the pump and fabricate a flat block-off plate which is then bolted to the head - the dual carb D15B was rated at about 100hp with the carbs, probably a little less with the DPFI - likely would be the same as a D15B2

Old 08-30-2017, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1991 Civic Dx Questions

Thanks jlicrx, I knew someone would chime in! Looks like they've been in the top of the motor recently. Head is super clean with new intake/exhaust studs. I guess I need to pull that pump and make a block-off.

For now I'm just going to get everything nice and tidy and fix some wtf-type repairs someone has already done to it. Feels like you're stirring paint trying to shift it and find gears. I ordered a knock-off short throw, some Energy Suspension shift bushings, and a weighted VMS shift ****. Didn't mean to throw go-fast parts at it, but all were reasonably priced on FleaBay and don't look terrible. Need to get that done, and throw some new shocks and legit lowering springs in it. Someone cut the stockies and did a pretty rough job.

My buddy has some various obd1 stuff, as well as some Multi-Port intakes. He's pretty big into Honda stuff and said he'd let me dig through all his various stuff and piece together a new setup for pennies on the dollar. I can't complain for the $600 I guess.

First major repair is a fuel leak somewhere above/atop the tank. Figured that out when the pump never cut-off... and the gas coming from under the car was a decent indication. Looks like the factory blue underneath the $hit primer job may actually be decent. So I'm going to try and wet-sand and buff the $hit out of it, then hit the hood, trunk, and fuel door gloss black. Hopefully it'll look tasteful... who knows?

Again, thanks for the heads up!
--Foot--