Notices

1990 Hatch w/ b16A si-R motor.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Hatch w/ b16A si-R motor.

I just bought this car.. it pulls hard as **** and is great .. It runs well and all the good stuff..

my problem- I want to upgrade a bit. all it is, is a stock motor w/ a chip I believe. I want a header back exhaust system- coming out the LEFT rear..because my right rear hold my lisence plate. And I was going to get an AEM Fuel rail, and FPR..will these be good mods to the car.. right now, I believe and was told on drag radials it runs 13.2 in the quarter..I think it's faster though..we'll see when I get to run it..but for now..any ideas>?

ALSO- i want to take out the old interior dash, and door panels, and revert to stock..the guy before me painted everythign... and it has a body kit, which I'd like to get rid of and pick up a stock front end, a front lip, side skirts, rear end and rear lip..any help??
Old 06-02-2006, 05:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 1990 Hatch w/ b16A si-R motor. (Boostdprotegelx)

i dont think a b16 hatch runs 13.2's..

anyways, no those are NOT good mods. atleast not all. The aem rail and FPR are completely useless right now.

I'd focus on getting more air in and out of the engine.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

right on. the guy said it's the jspec motor..straight from japan..like I said. Yea i have to get a bigger intake manifold, and an intake,..maybe a throttle body..and the exhaust..definatly..I just don't wanna go TOO big...
Old 06-02-2006, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

don't thik it will run 13's at all. But really dn't know

I'm guessing my B18a will only run 15.0 on the track.

anyways, do you live right off of reistertown road?
I'm getting an appartment in the fall. I"m actually going to be down around there today and saturday, lol.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:00 AM

Default Re: 1990 Hatch w/ b16A si-R motor. (Boostdprotegelx)

you seem to be totally lost..... any fuel modifications will be useless right now as they are not needed with a stock motor.

air intake,air intake manifold=more air = good modfication
larger throttle body wont really yeild you more power and could kill power if too big.

header,testpipe,catback= larger diameter=more volume of exhaust flow

i would say the car depending on your driving could pull a low to high 14s

also depends on the condition of motor,condition of tranny,clutch,flywheel ect

which gets to my next question what kind of clutch and flywheel does it have?

if i were you i would save for a turbo kit period its the best thing you could ever do any will yeild you the most power for your money

Old 06-02-2006, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1990 Hatch w/ b16A si-R motor. (b18sihatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18sihatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you seem to be totally lost..... </TD></TR></TABLE>

haaa!!! yea... u do seem a lil lost, play with this dude for a while

Old 06-02-2006, 08:07 AM

i have teh same motor on my hatch....JdMyO...thats the way to go...yes im gonna have to bandwagon here..adn tell you those fuel mods are useless on a stock motor...a goodo intake mani. to get would be the skunk2 one..and just port match the TB to the mani. and youre good to go..

oh and im goin to the track today...(orlando speedworld)..and ill let oyu guys know how she ran...i have a 90 si hatch, jdm b16, cai/h/e...and the good ol' bottle of happy juice on her....only a 60 shot though....ill post slips when i get back...ill run a few passes off the bottle on a few on it adn ill let you know so you can get an idea..
Old 06-02-2006, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm supprised noones mentioned some mild cams. You could probably yeald 30 HP or more for like $200
Old 06-02-2006, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Voodooboy520)

THe Cams Are A Good IDEA!
Old 06-02-2006, 11:03 AM
M15

Default Re: (Voodooboy520)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Voodooboy520 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm supprised noones mentioned some mild cams. You could probably yeald 30 HP or more for like $200</TD></TR></TABLE>

And what cams will give a B16 30 hp for 200 dollars?
Old 06-02-2006, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes I do live off of reisterstown rd.

Also, guys, just because I'm new to the forum and honda, Does not, in any means, mean that I'm new to tuning.

I have a 2003 protege, with a fully built bottom/top end, t3t4 turbo, fmic, 750cc fuel injectors, aem ems, axels upgraded perrin fuel rail, aem fpr, wahlbro fuel pump,clutch/flywheel, ...good for roughly 600whp..it's being tuned right now, in finksburg, at absolute pro-formance...

The honda, however, I want it to be N/A..no turbo for this as I want a semi normal daily driver. the clutch flywheel I believe are exedy stage 3..i believe. this is all I was told for that..here's the list that was given to me.

Engine: B16a JDM motor with J1 Trans(cable), Exedy StageII Clutch and Flywheel, Cold air intake(also have the short ram pipe) with K&N Filter. 350hp axles, Urethane Motor mounts and bushings, aftermarket shift linkage, 2 1/4 piping back to muffler, gutted cat.
The motor had approx 20000 when I got it for the swap and i have put 27000 on it since then so it has about 47000 miles on it. Same with the trans and then new axles.

Exterior: BMW single halo projector lights, black "JDM" corners, Smoked Altezza Taillights, fiberglass hood with hood pins, R33 front bumper with Buddy Club side skirts and read bumper, stock CRX Si wheels with 2 NEW tires on rear, front tires are good. Also have a blue anodized Datum 1 tow hook.

Suspension: R1 Sport Coilovers with Bilstein gas struts, Rear Strut brace.

Interior: Faze 5'' tach with 10,000rpm, Faze Air/Fuel gauge, Faze Volt gauge, Faze Oil Pressure gauge, custom 3 A-Pillar pod, Pilot Racing Steering wheel, Interior color change to Black and Blue,2 Carbeau Non-Adjustable seats, RCI 5-point harness(Street Legal) passanger side and 3-point drivers side, Matrix Short Throw Shifter, Shift ****, E-glow racing pedals, Tinted Windows, Custom Falsefloor system with amp and 3 8in, wired for satellite radio (head unit does not come with car).

there is no power steering, or a/c...let me know what yout hink now...
Old 06-02-2006, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh yeha, and the protege, before I did any modification to it was a slow 16.63@82mph... down from the supposed testing of the vehicle @ 17.02..stock...anyways, the honda definatly feels a **** load faster. I was going to go to the track this weekend, however, I'm not sure where to go, or how far/much it would be...any suggesstions?
Old 06-02-2006, 12:26 PM
Touching My Member

Default Re: (Boostdprotegelx)

You can put all the stock **** back on if you want, try a junkyard or a few, ebay, and stuff like that. if you want some more power, add some type r cams, type r intake manifold, intake, headers. chip the ecu too if you want. You'll be happy.

The guy lied about 13.2 1/4 mile times. My buddies eg with h22 barely hits that.

for the track... try different tire pressures and diff. rpm's at launch. take off as much weight as you can.

Old 06-02-2006, 12:29 PM

well im not sure about 30 hp......thats a bit much...but i put gsr cams in mine and got 9 hp out of em.....plus if youre puttin in cams with that much profile youre gonna need some valvetrain work too....which isnt cheap...
Old 06-02-2006, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 1990 Hatch w/ b16A si-R motor. (crx_88_si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crx_88_si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont think a b16 hatch runs 13.2's..

</TD></TR></TABLE>

13.4 N/A but i'm sure i had a whole different animal than his stock setup.

no way his car runs that.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My tanabe hyper medalion comes out the left. Of course it could of been made for my body because my bumper has the indent there.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (drSquish)

thanks for this man. I prolly will go with that. and I also never said my car ran that...the guy just told me that it runs that....I'll run it.I'll post it too. anyways, thanks for the input..

I also told you guys that I believe the car is chipped..however, I have no idea how to figure that out.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do you have a picture of this man? i really wanna see it..how much did it cost?
Old 06-05-2006, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You won't run 13.2 on the 1/4. No way. You simply don't have it in a 1.6. I've seen B16A built to 190whp+ and they only ran 13.7...you will get some mid to low 15, a really high 14 if you have some good light tires and a nice clutch.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ludesrv)

I'll guarantee at LEAST a mid 14. with my driving. but that's not really what this thread was intended for.

Now I have another question. the car runs very rich. gas fumes i smell a lot. I want to know, is there a way, to help the mixture become more stoich? will upgrading the intake manifold changing the exhaust help this?
Old 06-05-2006, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

TTT..I need help@!!!.thanks people.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostdprotegelx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'll guarantee at LEAST a mid 14. with my driving. but that's not really what this thread was intended for.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll guarantee you won't get that on street tires with just a B16 no mods done to it in a full Civic, any model, even less if Si. You seem to be so confident, go to the ******* track and proove us wrong, and dont just say '14.4', pics of the numbers on the car and the scanned slip is needed.

Get realistic here, B16's suck!
Old 06-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Pirate General...YARRRR

Default Re: (ludesrv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ludesrv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Get realistic here, B16's suck!</TD></TR></TABLE>
lies yo!11

they are like dohc and vtec herra fast.

if a stock swapped b16 runs low 13s. my camaro now does 8s and wheels stands that'll make Bob Saget run up to you and **** on you.

Thats after I pull the ls1 and replace it with a v6.

LS1 would like warp time..
Old 06-05-2006, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (***-assin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ***-assin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
lies yo!11

they are like dohc and vtec herra fast.

if a stock swapped b16 runs low 13s. my camaro now does 8s and wheels stands that'll make Bob Saget run up to you and **** on you.

Thats after I pull the ls1 and replace it with a v6.

LS1 would like warp time..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Whoa man.......this aint kills , how can you diss the b16 on its home turf. Some 17 y.o kids like me are on a budget and not all of us claim to run low 13s,.......well except for the ladies that have never even ridden in a mildly fast car which in that case.........it does run 13s ........low 13s
Old 06-05-2006, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostdprotegelx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'll guarantee at LEAST a mid 14. with my driving. but that's not really what this thread was intended for.

Now I have another question. the car runs very rich. gas fumes i smell a lot. I want to know, is there a way, to help the mixture become more stoich? will upgrading the intake manifold changing the exhaust help this?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's probably the chipped ecu you have. I'd slap a wideband on it and get it retuned.

Quick Reply: 1990 Hatch w/ b16A si-R motor.