my project

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my project

so i picked up my 98 crv about 2 weeks ago for $650
351 000 km autotragic
scratches, ding and minor rust on 1/4 panels. overall its in pretty good shape.
it had 215/75r15 hancook mud tires on it and some heavy duty coil springs that gave it a 2" lift. im not into the 4x4 look so that was the first project.

after quick measurement comparison from a crv and a 1998 civic suspension i deemed that i could make civic/integra coilover fit. with the rear shocks having the eye instead of a fork at the bottom i started looking around for jdm integra typr r coilovers.
i ended up getting a set of tein ss for a great price. they came with tein pillowball tophats. way cheaper than the crv specific coilovers.

fwiw tsx coilovers will also work but you must reuse the crv top hats.

now the stock uncompressed measurements for the crv and civic are as follows

crv civic
f 16.5" f 16"
r 24" r 20"

so right away if i wanted full shock travel front and rear i had to extend the rear shock mounting point. at least 3"
i took some 1 3/4" square tubing and slid it inside the rear lca hole where the shock would go. i welded some ears on top of the square tubing for the shock to bolt to. then i welded that to the rear lca. now my coilover bolt on easily. because aftermaket coilovers are already shorther than oem i had a nice 3-4" drop all around. right now i have them set all the way up and am running about 2.25" wheel gap on a 235/45r17 tire. i can go at least 3.5" lower but not with my current wheels due to having a +20 offset and 9" width. they poke about 1" front the fenders.

now one thing i was concerned about was spring rate since these are for a integra thats about 500 lbs lighter than a crv. the ride is probably 30% stiffer than stock. i have the damening set at 3 out of 16. where 0 is the stiffest. i drives extremely nice and handles great.
my camber is -1 all around. the front was unadjusted and the rear i used 1/2" spacers behind the upper wishbone.

im currently running volk racing gt-u wheels. sexy 3" lip.

i have been trying to decide on a powertrain setup since i got it. i would like to keep the realtime but i dont think it will hold up to the abuse as i will be lapping it and ocassional drag racing. i am aiming to have a modest 300 hp. converting my crv to manual will be expensive if i keep the realtime. not to mention the probablity of blowing up the rearend.

all motor options will include turbo setups to achieve my desired 300 whp.
so i bought a gsr motor last week. i was going to use a b16 tranny i have lying around.
but decided i want more than a boring b series.
i am in love with h22 torque and have built a few of my old cars with them.
so i sold the gsr and started the h hunt.
i recently built a rsx for a guy. base model auto to type s with 6 spd and greddy turbo kit. he gave me his old k20a3 complete swap.

so next week i will start the k series crv swap.

i will be using hasport eg mounts with a little custom work
hasport ek wiring harness conversion
and a k tuned immobilizer bypass
once its up and running i will add a 50 trim garrett turbo ive had collecting dust for a few years. i will be keeping my eyes open for k24 from the local u pull junkyard.

i have a few pics in other posts on here but will try to encorperate everything into this thread