Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Honda CR-V making strange noise when starting engine, and sometimes when driving

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda CR-V making strange noise when starting engine, and sometimes when driving

My wife's 2012 CR-V has recently developed a loud sound coming from the engine. I've attached a clip of her getting into her car a couple days ago and starting the engine. The noise is at 6 seconds in. It does not happen every time she starts the car - maybe 1 in 20 starts. It seems to happen more often when it is cold, but I'm not positive of that.

It also happens occasionally when driving. It seems to happen more often when on hills - or maybe just when changing speed (or changing gears?) But it's hard to determine a clear pattern here and it's pretty intermittent.

We took it to a Honda dealer but they never heard anything.

More recently, we took the car to a local mechanic who said he drained 1.7L of oil from the engine and expected 3.7L. He said the oil came out pitch black and there was a leak near the timing belt cover as well as a small one on the oil pan. He said the noise was due to lack of oil (to be clear - he said we were missing 2L of oil). However, after repairing the leak and filling it with oil - the car still makes that noise. The attached audio clip is a week after he worked on it and I checked the oil level and it's still good.

Does anybody know what this sound is and how to fix it? It's making us nervous to do any long trips with this vehicle as we don't know how healthy it is.

Thank you!
Attached Files
File Type: mp3
Loud engine start.mp3 (327.3 KB, 5 views)