Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Electrical short

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 12:49 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical short

Hi, first post so I'll try to be as clear as possible despite english being my 2nd language.

***main question at the end after more stars to those who wish to cut it short*******

Went to get my shift wire replaced on a 2012 CRV after it suddenly broke in two under the car at a very unfortunate moment and somehow, when I got the car back, there was a short circuit blowing my night mode tail lights and my 4 signals on the corners (a 10 amp fuse that I tried replacing 3 times with it blowing the second I activsted the lights).

Noticed the problem only a few days after so I got my trailer wiring checked as it was my first guess; no problem detected.

Called the dealer back, they dont see where they couldve messed any wires or switches and put the blame on the car before even seeing it... so it sounds like even if it was their fault, they wont assumed it and push it on an "unlucky problem that happenned right after my initial one" (that cost me a nice 460$ to fix)

*******is there any wire or switch on or arround the shift likeage/wire from the shifter to the transmission that can get messed up during said shifter wire replacement?*******

thank you.

Denis
Old 12-12-2018, 06:55 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Electrical short

Yeah, no garage or dealership will ever admit to blame unless it is tooo obvious.
But, also can not blame them unless there is proof

Unfortunately, an electrical issue like this one will be an hourly diagnostic charge.
You could look for it yourself??
Hook up a multi-meter .. one lead to the side of the fuse that is shorted to ground and the other lead to ground
The fuse has two points or sides. One has the power and the other goes to the item being powered up
In this case, it should lead to the short circuit
Put meter on Ohms .. read resistance.
It should read near zero resistance
Watch meter while you move wires near where work was done.
Moves wires near metal bends and other sharp parts
If ohm reading moves then you may have found it

Good luck