Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

2006 CR-V addling reverse gear lock out after 6 speed conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2006 CR-V addling reverse gear lock out after 6 speed conversion

Here I would like to discuss adding the TSX reverse gear lockout solenoid to the CR-V gear selector. Has anyone done this? Or have a link?

In the 2005-2006 (not sure about 2002-2004) CR-V the gear selector from the donor TSX will NOT drop into your CR-V gear case. Mark in the youtube video link below said it would drop into an Element. I question if that is correct. In the CR-V the mounting holes do not line up. However there is hope as the CR-V gear selector piece has a blank mold of where the solenoid "would" go. With the proper measurements, and some drilling I think the TSX reverse lockout solenoid could be transferred over to the CR-V. I have yet to take it all apart to see what all is really involved. I also wonder if maybe the Civic Si gear selector would fit into a CR-V. Anyone have any Civic Si 6 Speed gear selectors laying around? Probably not...

I see quite a few people have done this conversion, but no one is running theirs with a reverse lockout. Everyone has said that the lockout is not necessary. The shift from 5th into 6th without the lockout is a problem for me. I end up going back into 4th because the shifter mechanism likes to return to center when it leaves 5th, which screws up my alignment with 6th. With some practice I was able to compensate for the pull back to center and hit 6th smoothly, but yes I did buzz reverse trying to go from 4th into 6th after missing 6th one time. I felt like a 6 speed virgin without a condom. I would very much like the lockout since this is my wife's car, and I don't want her to have to worry about missing 6th or buzzing reverse.

In theory the wiring would be simple - run a 12V lead to the solenoid, and install a "normally closed" push button on your shifter.

Even if this doesn't work out this is an amazing mod for Elements and CR-Vs, and well worth it. I used a 2007 TSX 6 Speed ($350 on Craigslist) for this project.

How-To convert your K24 Element or CR-V to a 6 speed:
https://www.elementownersclub.com/fo...ad.php?t=25635
https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums.../topics/163777
Old 10-04-2022, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 2006 CR-V addling reverse gear lock out after 6 speed conversion

Originally Posted by EJ8_Man
Here I would like to discuss adding the TSX reverse gear lockout solenoid to the CR-V gear selector. Has anyone done this? Or have a link?

In the 2005-2006 (not sure about 2002-2004) CR-V the gear selector from the donor TSX will NOT drop into your CR-V gear case. Mark in the youtube video link below said it would drop into an Element. I question if that is correct. In the CR-V the mounting holes do not line up. However there is hope as the CR-V gear selector piece has a blank mold of where the solenoid "would" go. With the proper measurements, and some drilling I think the TSX reverse lockout solenoid could be transferred over to the CR-V. I have yet to take it all apart to see what all is really involved. I also wonder if maybe the Civic Si gear selector would fit into a CR-V. Anyone have any Civic Si 6 Speed gear selectors laying around? Probably not...

I see quite a few people have done this conversion, but no one is running theirs with a reverse lockout. Everyone has said that the lockout is not necessary. The shift from 5th into 6th without the lockout is a problem for me. I end up going back into 4th because the shifter mechanism likes to return to center when it leaves 5th, which screws up my alignment with 6th. With some practice I was able to compensate for the pull back to center and hit 6th smoothly, but yes I did buzz reverse trying to go from 4th into 6th after missing 6th one time. I felt like a 6 speed virgin without a condom. I would very much like the lockout since this is my wife's car, and I don't want her to have to worry about missing 6th or buzzing reverse.

In theory the wiring would be simple - run a 12V lead to the solenoid, and install a "normally closed" push button on your shifter.

Even if this doesn't work out this is an amazing mod for Elements and CR-Vs, and well worth it. I used a 2007 TSX 6 Speed ($350 on Craigslist) for this project.

How-To convert your K24 Element or CR-V to a 6 speed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5mr5BuuxNM&app=desktop
https://www.elementownersclub.com/fo...ad.php?t=25635
https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums.../topics/163777

Did you ever figure out the reverse lockout mod?
Old 10-06-2022, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Re: 2006 CR-V addling reverse gear lock out after 6 speed conversion

Originally Posted by tetfemal
Did you ever figure out the reverse lockout mod?

Sometimes you can't help but wonder with people.