Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

06 RD6 dome light and lights on alert inoperable

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 06 RD6 dome light and lights on alert inoperable

Hi all, former car audio installer here. I've owned 3 7th gen civics with myriads of repairs and upgrades. I only say this to solidify my diagnosis. My parents just got a pristine 06 CRV with 80k miles. The dome light works when the passenger door is opened, but not the driver door. The "hey dumby, you left the lights on" tone also does not work on the driver door, nor does the "hey dumby, keys are in the ignition" tone. I have replaced the door ajar witch with an OEM one with no luck. Continuity between door frame and battery negative post is 2 ohms (fluke meter), and using a "voltage injector" car audio tool, I can send a ground through the black/green door ajar switch wire and still have no effect. Before I tear into the interior and the wiring, is there any relay or control box I should examine/test first? all interior fuses are good and the dome still works from all other doors. I don't have a lot of free time on my hands for this and google is not being helpful. Thanks for the assist
Old 10-16-2018, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 06 RD6 dome light and lights on alert inoperable

When you say you replaced the "door ajar [s]witch" with an OEM one - do you mean the switch on the dome light itself or the door sensor? I'm assuming the door sensor, I've had to do that once as well.

I can't find my wiring manual but if I remember correctly, the door open and ignition tones are tied in to the same connector as the windshield wiper switch in the box under the driver's side dashboard.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Occidentalis
When you say you replaced the "door ajar [s]witch" with an OEM one - do you mean the switch on the dome light itself or the door sensor? I'm assuming the door sensor, I've had to do that once as well.

I can't find my wiring manual but if I remember correctly, the door open and ignition tones are tied in to the same connector as the windshield wiper switch in the box under the driver's side dashboard.
Right, door ajar switch in the door frame that senses the door is open. I will do a continuity test back to the windshield wiper switch.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump. Found the connector next to the keyless module, continuity good back to that connector, but that's where the wire terminates... I'm fed up with this thing and ready to jury rig it. Where exactly is the buzzer/beeper? Sounds like it's in the cluster. About to make a little relay magic happen...
Old 10-30-2018, 04:55 PM
Global Moderator

Received 420 Likes on 390 Posts

It is a green wire that goes from the driver's door switch to pin number 3 at the 8P Light Green connector at the under-dash fuse box. Check for continuity on this green wire between the connectors. At the under-dash fuse box, it goes through the Multiplex Control Unit (MCU) which is integrated as part of the fuse box. The beeper is part of the gauge control module (instrument gauge cluster).

Old 10-31-2018, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tech8
It is a green wire that goes from the driver's door switch to pin number 3 at the 8P Light Green connector at the under-dash fuse box. Check for continuity on this green wire between the connectors. At the under-dash fuse box, it goes through the Multiplex Control Unit (MCU) which is integrated as part of the fuse box. The beeper is part of the gauge control module (instrument gauge cluster).

Great info, thanks!
Old 11-04-2018, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Problem solved: Continuity to the MCU wire is interrupted somewhere, soldered a wire between the factory alarm module plug and the MCU, effectively re-routing the door open ground to the MCU. Thanks to tech8 for the wire location.