Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

03 CRV No spark puzzle

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 03 CRV No spark puzzle

Hey guys! alright, small puzzle for me, mainly for my lack of computer knowledge for Honda, but have a CRV that has no spark. Customer says is was driving and all of a sudden started to sputter. She was able to get it home, cut it off. went to cut it back on later and wouldnt start. Ive scanned it, OBD did read a misfire on cylinder 3, but that was it, strangely enough, it cleared out while trying to crank over. Checked the spark plugs in all cylinders clean. good compression, plenty of fuel. Checked the COP's, have voltage and ground then BOOM...no firing signal to any of them. SO. Ive been doing some homework. This engine has a timing chain so i know stretch could be a possibility, but throwing that aside, open to suggestions.
Checked, all relays and wiring all good. All fuses are good. COP's are in spec range for resistance so are spark plugs. HERES my question to you savvy Honda techies..where in the hell is your crankshaft position sensor, and even though i'm not getting a green key indicator, does your security key allow for crank but no start? Also, The ECM...it lights up and i can scan, i'm getting no codes, but after a period of time, the CEL goes out, even with the crv not running...i that normal for Honda or should I be looking at a possible ECM reprogramming?
Old 01-10-2015, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Re: 03 CRV No spark puzzle

Honda Acura ignition (no spark) troubleshooting tutorial - How to
Old 01-10-2015, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 03 CRV No spark puzzle(update answer)

Hey, after a good amount of testing, I found the crankshaft position sensor to have been faulty, and the result of customer constant cranking fouled the plugs. replaced the plugs, and the number three coil(it was starting to become intermittent) and replaced the crankshaft position sensor, started right up. Thanks alot guys! also great how to tutorial on no spark testing.
Old 01-04-2023, 08:42 AM
Trial User

Default Re: 03 CRV No spark puzzle(update answer)

Originally Posted by DjShotokan
Hey, after a good amount of testing, I found the crankshaft position sensor to have been faulty, and the result of customer constant cranking fouled the plugs. replaced the plugs, and the number three coil(it was starting to become intermittent) and replaced the crankshaft position sensor, started right up. Thanks alot guys! also great how to tutorial on no spark testing.
How did you figure out crank sensor was bad? Im dealing with similar isdues. 02 crv, cranks no start. Ive sprayed startingvfluid in throttle body at woukd not run. Battery, starter are all good. Engine spins but no start. Ive swapped out pmg1 and 2 relay. I'm stumped, what else can I check? I'll be getting my scanner back today so I'll be able to check for codes. In couple hours. TIA.
Old 01-04-2023, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: 03 CRV No spark puzzle

Did you replace the crank position sensor? Easy to do on those.