Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

*** CR-V HELP*****

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *** CR-V HELP*****

alright guys im losing my mind here

i bought this crv at the time it all looked well, but it turns out it had a blown head gasket kept overheating so heres what i did, i took off the head has it surfaced got a ebay head gasket set and slapped it on and called it a day, well it kept on overheating but not instantly almost after a 60 mile drive it would begin to get hot so then i took out the thermostat and still continued to over heat so i was frustrated at this point so just last weekend i purchased a new water pump, thermostat, timing belt, belt tensioner, and new radiator and had a mechanic install it, so now 3 days later i am still experiencing the same problems, the fans switch on and off sometimes but even if i wired the fans direct to stay on it still continues to over heat after a hour drive, i am losing coolant but i have no idea where the F*** it is going, there is no mixing of oil and water and the car hasnt lost any power so at this point i can only say that the head is cracked or warped but im hoping its a far easier fix than having to redo the head with a better performance gasket and possibly purchasing another b20 head and having the works done on it (pressure test, surface, valve job) so please any input at this time would extremely help.....

and one other thing after i drive it for any distance and i come home i pop the hood only to find both top and bottom radiator hoses very pressureized so im lost is that normal, and i can hear bubbling from the overfill bottle so please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks
Old 07-18-2011, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: *** CR-V HELP*****

did you do a leak down test?? and compression test??
my bet one of these two would answer your question... crv's b20 is known to
have valve tightening issue, thats why its recommended that you adjust it every
30k miles, i had a similar situation in my other V, i found out after compression
test that i might already have bad piston rings or might have a cracked cylinder
wall....

g/l!!
Old 07-19-2011, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

BUMP I NEED MORE INFO
Old 07-19-2011, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by qwrty
did you do a leak down test?? and compression test??
my bet one of these two would answer your question... crv's b20 is known to
have valve tightening issue, thats why its recommended that you adjust it every
30k miles, i had a similar situation in my other V, i found out after compression
test that i might already have bad piston rings or might have a cracked cylinder
wall....

g/l!!
he said hes losing coolant tho....
did you say the both fans are working? if you turn your AC both of the fans should work...

if theres no leak on the engine/radiator...the only other place will be your heater core...
see if your carpet is wet/bad smell....

hows your exhaust? is it smoking bad? anmy smoke?

new radiator/thermostat/water pump/fans working/coolant not mixing with the oil/
and still overheating? thats.......mmmm i dont know
Old 07-19-2011, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

coolant could be passing into your cylinders, check for super clean looking plugs, or a kind of sweet smell to your exhaust. just get some fresh air if you get sleepy
Old 07-20-2011, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

*UPDATE* heres the deal i drove it this morning after putting in about a half gallon of coolant back in it, turns out since we installed all the new parts i only put enough coolant in it before the thermostat opened up, so now that its open it needed more coolant but heres the new issue im dealing with, when i first bought the car it was doing that cranking where it didnt want to start pretty much coolant on top of the pistons well now its doing it again, how i found out, after a short drive i popped the hood and took out one of the spark plugs and i heard hissing coming from inside the head so clearly the head gasket is bad or the head is bad so pretty much it huh?

well let me know what u guys think,

thanks really appreciate the advice.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Buy a ebay certified head for 400 bucks.