Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ZEX cam in 94 Si

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2002, 08:40 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ZEX cam in 94 Si

Ok, my brother bought me a ZEX cam off of ebay. This is supposed to be the highest lift d16z6 cam from them-no we didn;t mic it to make sure, but didn't. I put it in, running about 3 degrees advanced timing(ignition), stock cam timing. This cam is supposed to increase the powerband from 2k to 7.8 k. I only rev to 7.2. The cam was used about 500 miles-as told, and wasn;t scuffed-it looked good. The thing is this..I haven;'t noticed any noticable gains. I took my bro for a ride and he said he did, but I didn't. The intake sounds louder, so I know it's opening up more, but it seems also to lag around the 4k area until about 5 k. I'm running stock 4-2-1 exhaust manifold for now. Is this making a huge difference?? what else should I do to achieve maximum potential. The head is port/polished and milled.020, and I got intake and exhaust. I'm kinda bummed and might put stock cam in to have a steady powerband. I just want consistancy and want to know what I should do now! Header!? Thats what I'm guessing, just want to hear what you all say. Thanks
Old 09-07-2002, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ZEX cam in 94 Si (Emerica)

First off, how do you know if you got a real Zex cam or not? Was it in a new box with the receipt or did the guy just tell you it was or is it stamped somewhere on the cam?
Old 09-07-2002, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

like all ways !! when doin somthin like this you really need 2 go on a DYNO !!!!!!

i know this cam(and would like 2 hear it works !!have not tryed it my self but would like 2)
anyways !!
1: RPM limit 2 low cam works 2 7800+ RPM !! so you might not even be close 2 peak power... (dyno would tell you this)
2: cam pulley !?!? maybe the cam needs 2 be retarded or advanced (dyno would tell you this an needs 2 be testet as well 2 see diffrents.)
3: yes a header would du you alot more good now !!! (dyno would tell you this)
4: ign !?!!? (dyno would tell you this)

dont give up !! you do this and you will be alot happyer with the cam !!
but dont think a cam will do any good in the 3-4500 RPM area (dyno would tell you this)
!! either drive slow or drive fast !!!

Zeus
Old 09-07-2002, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ZEX cam in 94 Si (CRXSleeper)

First off, how do you know if you got a real Zex cam or not? Was it in a new box with the receipt or did the guy just tell you it was or is it stamped somewhere on the cam?
you should be able 2 see the diffrends between the old and new !!
Old 09-07-2002, 09:00 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Default Re: ZEX cam in 94 Si (Zeus Zore)

Yeah, you can;t just throw something in and expect more power- it's all about making sure all your parts are working well together. The cam came in the original box BTW. I wasn't to put this cam in now, but rather wait-cause I'm building an all motor Z6 right now, but decided too. Yeah, I need more to reep the benefits, should have gotten a header first, but oh well. Yeah, dyno time is good, but I trust no one around here. Lots more to do, and thanks for the input Zeus.
Old 09-07-2002, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

once u get a header and a exhaust a bigger difference should be felt. A vafc would be nice and get it tuned. Should see close to 130-135whp
Old 09-08-2002, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ZEX cam in 94 Si (willyboyD16)

once u get a header and a exhaust a bigger difference should be felt. A vafc would be nice and get it tuned. Should see close to 130-135whp

plz stop sayin should be and it is gonna be about whatever HP ...
let the dyno prove it !!... or else, 2 me you could just have a 100 WHP !!

on think that reely make me even more pissed.. then like JDM and ****..
is peeps sayin i got 180 HP and a rev limit so big.. and blabla... when in fact they only have 168 HP and a rev limit suted 2 most likly **** up there engine cause no mods 2 valve train was made.. even wores is revin it that high when you have no power up there !!!
just my OPs
Old 09-08-2002, 01:06 PM

Ok, my brother bought me a ZEX cam off of ebay. This is supposed to be the highest lift d16z6 cam from them-no we didn;t mic it to make sure, but didn't. I put it in, running about 3 degrees advanced timing(ignition), stock cam timing. This cam is supposed to increase the powerband from 2k to 7.8 k. I only rev to 7.2. The cam was used about 500 miles-as told, and wasn;t scuffed-it looked good. The thing is this..I haven;'t noticed any noticable gains. I took my bro for a ride and he said he did, but I didn't. The intake sounds louder, so I know it's opening up more, but it seems also to lag around the 4k area until about 5 k. I'm running stock 4-2-1 exhaust manifold for now. Is this making a huge difference?? what else should I do to achieve maximum potential. The head is port/polished and milled.020, and I got intake and exhaust. I'm kinda bummed and might put stock cam in to have a steady powerband. I just want consistancy and want to know what I should do now! Header!? Thats what I'm guessing, just want to hear what you all say. Thanks
I have the same cam with just K&N drop-in filter minus the stock resenator and I've noticed some small differences. I'm also running AEM cam gear, which you might want to look into. It seems with cam timing you can make the cam give power in high/mid/low ranges.

You said you have a p/p head, w/ intake and exhaust so you should probably get a header too. Also since you got the street/strip cam, look into getting some valve springs. You're stock springs are only made to handle a certain amount of RPM, so harder springs will make the engine capable of a higher redline (7800 like it's made to work through) Oh...and maybe a computer with higher redline, because you're fuel cut-off is at 7200 rpm. So you'll never reach any higher on a stock computer.

Just some sugestions. I know all these things are on my list...
Old 09-08-2002, 01:16 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Default Re: ZEX cam in 94 Si (D16_VTEC)

Yeah, like I said before, I wasn't really planning on using this cam now, but I decided to throw it in and see what's up. Deffinatly valve springs, retainers and header are coming soon. I used to have a Bullfrog cmputer with a 9k rev limit, and I'm buying it back from the kid, so with the upgraded valvetrain and a cam gear, I can deffinately tune it to give me a good powerband up to 7.8k. I just sold my 88 Accord last night, so now I got some extra money to spend, so hopefully pretty soon I can order in these parts and hit a dyno. I'm moving to Bellingham on Tuesday for school, so I got a few tune shops around there to go to.
With a cam gear, you advance it for better high range, correct?? cause right now, I'm getting some good low end throttle response and power-below 4 k, but above that, it mellows out. I;'ll probably get a cam gear first. Thanks a lot for the suggestions, we'll se how everything works out when I get it all set up!!
Old 09-08-2002, 01:20 PM

Let's put it this way... Del Sol Si (auto) Stock 18.2
Del Sol Si (auto) ZEX cam advanced 3 degree 17.2

Nothing to be proud of, but a noticible difference
Old 09-08-2002, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ZEX cam in 94 Si (D16_VTEC)

really would like 2 see a dyno on that !! damn 1 sec !?! .....
Old 09-08-2002, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, like I said before, I wasn't really planning on using this cam now, but I decided to throw it in and see what's up. Deffinatly valve springs, retainers and header are coming soon. I used to have a Bullfrog cmputer with a 9k rev limit, and I'm buying it back from the kid, so with the upgraded valvetrain and a cam gear, I can deffinately tune it to give me a good powerband up to 7.8k. I just sold my 88 Accord last night, so now I got some extra money to spend, so hopefully pretty soon I can order in these parts and hit a dyno. I'm moving to Bellingham on Tuesday for school, so I got a few tune shops around there to go to.
With a cam gear, you advance it for better high range, correct?? cause right now, I'm getting some good low end throttle response and power-below 4 k, but above that, it mellows out. I;'ll probably get a cam gear first. Thanks a lot for the suggestions, we'll se how everything works out when I get it all set up!!
plz let me know of any updates !!! .. and feel free 2 ask ANY Q you may have !!
i would like 2 see what is happinnig !!
Old 09-08-2002, 01:57 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Will do Zeus. I ran a 15.9 without the cam last week, and planned on racing last night, but the races were canceled. I wanted to see a time difference, but I'll find out soon.
But DANG...you knocked 1 second off your 1/4!! If I did that with the cam and cam gear, that would be a 14.9-fully loaded 94 Si with slight mods!! Most likely won;'t happen, but it's good to hear positive results!!! Updates of times and mods will come soon, just gotta order the stuff in!!
Old 09-11-2002, 06:54 PM

really would like 2 see a dyno on that !! damn 1 sec !?! .....
Althogh I can't provide proff at this time, I think it had alot do with the advanced timing. My car, since it was an auto, had trouble off the line (bogging). So with the timming advanced, the engine seemed to get off the line quicker and make decent power in the low end. This of course made power up top a bit lazy. I only ran a 17 because I was able to get up and go a little faster. Just like if I had a standard, this car would probably run a 16 maybe a 15.9...who knows.
Old 09-12-2002, 07:00 PM

I have a 93 sol si D16z6 with a 59100 zex cam. Zex makes 2 cams that motor, #59100 and #59300. the 59300 should have performance valve springs installed as per zex. if you have the 59100 you are ok. anyway i did not notice much difference with that cam until i installed a skunk2 chip set I got on ebay fro around $25, then it made a big difference, vtec kicks in about 4800. It did run really rich with that chip which was the only drawback.