Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B18C Auto?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 B18C Auto?

Hey, I'm looking to upgrade the engine in my 98 ex coupe, it currently has a D16y7. I was thinking about getting a more powerful engine to rebuild and put in, I want to stay away from manual, my other civic is a manual and even though it's a blast to drive there are times when the stop and go traffic at 6am just gets annoying.

I was under the impression that B18Cs are only manual then while looking around I found one that said automatic, after googling for a while I couldn't find anything definite saying yes or no.

My question is, is there such thing as a auto b18c? If not, what's a reliable auto engine with similar performance to keep me happy?

I'm new to the whole forum scene, I'd hate for my first post to be a stupid question but this has me stumped.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:16 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: B18C Auto?

JDM B18Cs found in the Si Vtec and SiR-G Integras could be had with an automatic, but they really don't swap into a '96 - '00 Civic. See this thread for more info -> https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/honda-gsr-swap-getting-pita-2364737/

Basically if you want a B-series you'll have to swap it to a manual at the same time.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a b series swap with an automatic can be done. i've seen a few of them on different forums over the years. but the fact that you would have to basically hand fabricate all sorts of mounts etc. and how much of a pain in the *** the wiring would be, it's just not worth it. if you're wanting to stay automatic then just do an auto mini me swap. and before everyone starts bashing me for supporting automatics, **** off. i dont care what you have to say.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:15 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Townson
a b series swap with an automatic can be done. i've seen a few of them on different forums over the years. but the fact that you would have to basically hand fabricate all sorts of mounts etc. and how much of a pain in the *** the wiring would be, it's just not worth it. if you're wanting to stay automatic then just do an auto mini me swap. and before everyone starts bashing me for supporting automatics, **** off. i dont care what you have to say.

In a 96-00? I am going to need to see proof of this.

There have been rumors, but no one has ever proved they did it.

One guy somewhat recently said he did it, and the sold it a few months, but never came thru with pictures.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Ive emailed hmotors and asked regarding auto b series swaps. They told me they couldn't get em.... this was 3 ish years ago, so perhaps it changed.

I think you can get b20's with autos....and H series had autos...but Ive never seen a b16/18 etc with an auto.

But god, why would you want to. Im pretty sure the auto would most likely shift before getting to 5500 rpm on most occasions at with point might as well just stick with the y7. I understand nothing shifts faster than an automatic---and convenience, however nothing neuters your driving experience like driving a car with no torque, no hp, and an auto. At least with the manual you can wind her out to 5-6-even 7k and get her moving.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redm3turbo

But god, why would you want to. Im pretty sure the auto would most likely shift before getting to 5500 rpm on most occasions at with point might as well just stick with the y7. I understand nothing shifts faster than an automatic---and convenience, however nothing neuters your driving experience like driving a car with no torque, no hp, and an auto. At least with the manual you can wind her out to 5-6-even 7k and get her moving.
Exactly what I'm thinking. But we are here to help this man, not change his opinion.

It is possible to have a DOHC automatic in your civic. anythings possible.. b16s and b18c's are very hard to come by in automatic, and the blocks are slightly different than the manuals. I think your best bet would be to get a b18b automatic and swap that in. Depending on how experienced you are, your friends are, or if you can afford to pay a professional to help, you may be able to do it. From what I understand the two issues are clearance (tranny and frame rail) and the rear T bracket is different. You can find a way to mount it in there, it will just take some fabrication and possibly moving mounts around. The other challenge you will face could be the shift linkage, and since this swap hasn't been done very much you'll have trouble getting advice on what to do. If you are not afraid to explore uncharted territory and are in for a project it is possible and will be very unique.

I drive an auto v6 accord too, and although I wish it was manual I can still have fun in it and I'd immagine an auto b-swap would still be fun.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea I love my manual but I'm wanting to keep my auto an auto. With the traffic around here sometimes I just don't want to deal with being half asleep on my way to work in stop and go. But on the other hand on my way home when I am awake missing the get up and go power.

An auto b18 anything is pretty much a waste of potential but I'd still like to feel some kind of pull, I've been looking for y8's with no avail. I've got the money to spare right now so why the hell not ? But I don't trust myself or anyone else to fab anything so I'll leave that idea alone...

Back to step 1 >.>
Old 02-13-2012, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just wanted to clarify myself with the auto / 5 speed argument. I was saying why would you want to go thru fabricating parts to make a b series fit with the auto....only to see a small if any power increase.

Ive never driven a b18c without hitting vtec, but I have driven a b16 that didnt have vtec wired correctly, and it was basically like driving a d16....however the d16 is 100 bucks and like 7 hours of work to put in.

I understand both sides of the table. I live in one of the worst traffic congested areas on the planet. I have 2 hondas, well I have more then that, but the 2 I drive is one 5 speed for fun, and one auto for....driving. Id literally have to shift 150 times between driving to work and home each day which would be fun for a day. Then Id want to yank my hair out.

However My auto has a y8 in it, and I didnt have to spend any money, any time, and fabrication skills, to drive it. I bought it as is, and thats that. If your going to go through putting a DOHC in the car, and not see any power gains, its all for nothing as far as Im concerned.

All little honda motors do not come alive under after 5k rpm, until then they are gokarts.
Im sure you can hit vtec with an auto, but its not like running it up to 8k with a manual.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah unfortunately auto to auto b swaps are not as straightforward as manual to manual, I would rebuild the bottom end, maybe with higher comp. pistons and do a mini-me swap. Couldn't be that bad
Old 02-13-2012, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmmm I've been wanting a project, mini me sounds good actually.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
In a 96-00? I am going to need to see proof of this.

There have been rumors, but no one has ever proved they did it.

One guy somewhat recently said he did it, and the sold it a few months, but never came thru with pictures.
yeah. i cant remember where i came across them at. i remember one of them had a video of it running and driving but that was well over a year and a half ago and due to my previous drug abuse i do well to remember what happened yesterday haha.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

really the only difference in parts would be an automatic y8 intake manifold and an ecu out of an automatic ex, obd2b. the rest of the swap should go as normal.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:53 PM
Master Detailer

yeah. i cant remember where i came across them at. i remember one of them had a video of it running and driving but that was well over a year and a half ago and due to my previous drug abuse i do well to remember what happened yesterday haha.

That was a diferent one then. The one I saw nobody ever posted any substantial proof. just some guy saying he did it. Then he vanished.

I know there has been quite a few EG's, but to my knowledge no one has been able to do a EK.

It's deffinetly possible, but getting it to fit will be a pain, let alone getting the thing to shift on it's own.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it would be more trouble than it's worth really. you'd end up with all those hours spent fabricating and wiring for a car that's slightly quicker than a mini me, which can easily be done in a days time. i remember reading a post once that you were gonna do an auto mini me swap. did you ever pull it off?
Old 02-13-2012, 09:11 PM
Master Detailer

it would be more trouble than it's worth really. you'd end up with all those hours spent fabricating and wiring for a car that's slightly quicker than a mini me, which can easily be done in a days time. i remember reading a post once that you were gonna do an auto mini me swap. did you ever pull it off?
Very true. i could see someone wanting to do it just to be different.

Me? No, I had a mini me setup but never did anything with it, and ended up selling it.
As soon as i find a daily it's going 5spd with some sort of B in it. Possibly with a big turbo.
The fact there really is no aftermarket support for a auto Honda sealed the deal.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my car will probably stay an automatic until i sell it or it finally decides to die. i've had it for 4 years without a problem (knock on wood) i've been thinking alot lately about doing an auto mini me myself but due to all the MINI ME SWAP HELP!!!!! threads i've seen i dont know if i want to try it since it's my only mode of transport lol
Old 02-13-2012, 09:21 PM
Master Detailer

Thats where I am right now.

I don't see the point in swapping it to a 5spd when it's my only car, and there isn't anything major wrong with it.

If I had a daily all bets would be off.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i found an 84 accord hatch on craigslist for $450 the other day lol. i came really close to going and picking it up. hell, with some fabrication you could swap a d series into it and fly considering how much it weighs.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:18 PM
Master Detailer

HAHA. it would be good, not likely to get stolen.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my car will probably stay an automatic until i sell it or it finally decides to die. i've had it for 4 years without a problem (knock on wood) i've been thinking alot lately about doing an auto mini me myself but due to all the MINI ME SWAP HELP!!!!! threads i've seen i dont know if i want to try it since it's my only mode of transport lol
Heya, sorry to thread jack, but...
I've actually got an auto-mini me swap in my Civic, and it's been running just fine for over a year and 12,000 miles
^^
Did it because I blew my headgasket and because I was just looking for something to do that winter, soooo....I got a rebuilt Y8 head, intake mani, the ECU, the knock sensor, the Y8 fuel injectors and VTEC Solenoid, ran the wires, bolted it all up...and it's that easy (already had a Y8 exhaust set up)
Did it in a day in my garage

Been getting about the same MPG as I did before, minus the overheating of course XD
And I REALLY appreciate both the convenience of the auto in city traffic and that higher end pull of VTEC while merging into traffic

If ya wanna know more, PM me!
And btw, the tranny shifts just fine
In fact, I think only the first shift point is really all that different between Y7 and Y8 trannies (mine actually winds out longer than the Y7 did, so yay more top end! XD; )
The other shift points are very nearly the same, and the final drive is identical, so identical gas mileage on the highway!

(however, if and when it does finally all die, I'll likely swap in a b-series manual and REALLY have some fun then!)
Old 02-14-2012, 02:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just thought about it....

what if you did a B18 out of a auto teg.....and then ls/vtec the top end of the motor?
You can score b18 + auto trans off craigslist for 500 bucks. The swap would do fairly easy, and then just take off the top of the ls motor, throw on a vtec head, wire it up

Alot easier then trying to fabricate it up....

/just a thought. That or hell with it, get a b20 in there! b20 out of a junkyard crv, with a little tq.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:08 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

what if you did a B18 out of a auto teg.....and then ls/vtec the top end of the motor?
You can score b18 + auto trans off craigslist for 500 bucks. The swap would do fairly easy, and then just take off the top of the ls motor, throw on a vtec head, wire it up

/just a thought. That or hell with it, get a b20 in there! b20 out of a junkyard crv, with a little tq.
That doesn't solve any of the problems of trying to do an automatic B-series swap into this chassis, here's a quote from the thread I linked to in my earlier post:

Originally Posted by B18C5-EH2
THERE ARE NO MOUNTS THAT ALLOW AN AUTO B SERIES SWAP TO DROP INTO AN EK CHASSIS

My shop did one of these 5-6 years ago, and IMO it was a huge error in judgement on the former shop manager's judgement to even undertake that project.

A few things:

An auto B series tranny DOES NOT CLEAR the EK passenger side frame rail. You have to *gasp* cut the freaking frame rail and notch a section out of it to clear the tranny case. This IMO is reason #1 that it's a horrible idea.

CUSTOM mounts must be fabbed up for topside and rear tranny mounts/brackets. Your mechanic better be handy with a welder and steel, or else this swap will not happen, period. We tried literally every mount/bracket combo known and nothing lined it all up. This was a 1998 Integra LS auto swap into a 1997 Civic LS 4 door auto.

Lastly how on earth are you going to run the swap and the auto tranny? I wasn't immersed in that swap we did years ago, but from what I gathered then there are key differences in how the Integra auto tranny is controlled and how the Civic auto tranny is controlled enough so that a proper ECU that doesn't throw codes or screw up tranny shift points is impossible to find.

Cliff notes:

An auto B swap in an EK chassis is a horrible idea.
I also don't get all the hate for a 5 speed daily driver. It's basically all I ever drove. I hate being stuck in traffic with an automatic that wants to creep, a 5 speed is just so much easier.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:22 PM
Master Detailer

How would tune it? How would you get Vtec to work correctly, AND have it shifting on it's own?
Old 02-14-2012, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just buy a automatic integra lol
Old 02-14-2012, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my money's still on the auto mini me lol.

Quick Reply: B18C Auto?