Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Y8 trans pricing

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Y8 trans pricing

How much would you pay for a ~60k mile Y8 trans in mint condition with a 6 month warranty?

Going rate seems to be about 2-300 for just a Y8 in mint condition, but factor in 60k, and 6 month REPLACEMENT AND INSTALLED (meaning they'll remove and install a new one free of charge) warranty.

How high/low would you go for that?
Old 08-15-2007, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Y8 trans pricing (Syndacate)

If they are installing it 400 bucks because for somebody with a lift it shouldnt take more than an hour to drop the old trans and put the new one in.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:23 PM

d series trannys are all over the place... you should be able to find one for alot cheaper than 2-300 but then again having replacement and install... that sounds good
Old 08-15-2007, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Y8 trans pricing (94c1v1cex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94c1v1cex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">d series trannys are all over the place... you should be able to find one for alot cheaper than 2-300 but then again having replacement and install... that sounds good</TD></TR></TABLE>

where is the tech???

Search n00b
Old 08-15-2007, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i wouldn't pay over 150 with replacement and installed, but then again i got my 50k mile tranny for $55. i would say look around, you can find a tranny for alot cheaper. replacing a tranny isn't **** i did it with a jack and hand tools in 2 1/2 hours.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:53 PM

Default Re: Y8 trans pricing (94hondacivicvtec)

yes there are many D series transmissions all over the place but he most likely wants an EXor"Y8" transmission because it has the closest gear ratio out of all the d series tr4ansmissions and 200-300 for a gaurenteed Y8 trans with only 60K is a good deal.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:37 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: new jersey home of wanna be's posers claimers ricers biters and where everyone fakes the funk
Default Re: Y8 trans pricing (soundpsych)

d series trans are all over for 100-200$ all day..labor wise its easily 300-500 $ job and prolly 600+ at honda or big places.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Y8 trans pricing (4F_HANS)

If this is from a shop then heres how the prices are broke down out here.

From a reliable source D series transmission: 350-400 with 3 month replacement.
Labor done by reliable source: 300-600

So your looking at 650 to 1000 for a transmission parts and labor. Now add in your prices compared to So Cal and you should have your answer.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Y8 trans pricing (Luserkid)

I'm sorry, I wasn't really clear.

This is THEM putting it in (obviously they can't give me a transmission that I put in and still issue a warranty b/c what if I break something putting it in - it's not their fault).

So it's - they install it - it has 60,000 miles on it - with a new Honda OEM clutch (or a diff one if I prefer) - 6 month replacement/no questions asked warranty.

It's called a "no maintenance job" meaning that if it has a leak or anything and the trans fluid drains out they assume responsibility (unless I like bottomed out and took off half the transmission) and replace it for free - same day I bring it down there.

I'm trying to figure out how much a warranty is worth. It seems the going rate for a "like new" mint condition Y8 trans is 2-300 bucks. So it's just the warranty that's upping the price.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by soundpsych &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes there are many D series transmissions all over the place but he most likely wants an EXor"Y8" transmission because it has the closest gear ratio out of all the d series tr4ansmissions and 200-300 for a gaurenteed Y8 trans with only 60K is a good deal.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I don't want a DX/HX/CX/GX/LX tranny - I want the shortest gear ratios, and I was even thinking of putting in a higher rear end but decided against it.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:30 PM
vestalfootball72

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I want the shortest gear ratios, and I was even thinking of putting in a higher rear end but decided against it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
rwd civic ftw!!

op- depending on the quality of the shop, id say that its worth at least a grand. shops dont go by honda-tech prices when it comes to parts- just bc you can get d series trannys cheap from people who did a swap, doesnt mean that the shops get them for cheap. and for it to have a full warranty is nice-3rd gear grind? take it in for a new one
Old 08-16-2007, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Y8 trans pricing (highrev1987)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by highrev1987 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">where is the tech???

Search n00b</TD></TR></TABLE>

what the expletive are you telling me this for?
Old 08-16-2007, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, the warranty means nothing to me. I'd rather find another tranny.

If I had to go through the shop, I would not pay more than $450, you can get a complete swap for not much more.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Y8 trans pricing (vestalfootball72)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vestalfootball72 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
rwd civic ftw!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Eh, rear end, final drive...same ****...
Old 08-18-2007, 12:51 PM
k powered ej1

really syndicate there are no shops there huh? you paid someone to do your exhaust and now your trans
Old 08-18-2007, 12:53 PM
k powered ej1

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Eh, rear end, final drive...same ****...</TD></TR></TABLE>

noooooooooo................... it isnt
Old 08-18-2007, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

syndacate can build a 552ci big block with nitrous, but cant install a SOHC tranny. AHAHHAHAHAHAHA, sorry, AHAHAHAHAH.

but really, a good used hydro sohc trans shouldnt be more than $125, then $300 for labor, so $425 is the max i would pay.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:07 PM
k powered ej1

Default Re: (schardbody)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">syndacate can build a 552ci big block with nitrous, but cant install a SOHC tranny. AHAHHAHAHAHAHA, sorry, AHAHAHAHAH.

but really, a good used hydro sohc trans shouldnt be more than $125, then $300 for labor, so $425 is the max i would pay.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so he claims , he cant even rand r a civic exhaust
Old 08-18-2007, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (k powered ej1)

Average shop (not dealership) labor rates are abou $75 an hour. I would say that is a decent deal on a warranted and installed trans. However, it is easily done yourself if you get the car high enough in the air.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah but syndicate, how much power/what are you doing to destroy a tranny for a d-series??
Old 08-18-2007, 06:37 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (big-cat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by k powered ej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">really syndicate there are no shops there huh? you paid someone to do your exhaust and now your trans </TD></TR></TABLE>

Not everyone has a welder. Or air tools.

Cut him some slack. We do the same for you.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Cut him some slack. We do the same for you. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I do, cause i work on Hondas lol

Back on Topic: Why not just rebuild the tranny you have??
Old 08-18-2007, 06:46 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (highrev1987)

IMO rebuilding a d-series tranny isn't worth it. They're so cheap it's a waste of time.

I got my y8 tranny for $180 shipped with ~80k on it. Has been running great for 20k.

I DID however replace the pilot and the throwout bearing as a precaution. On the contrary I, like most people, aren't comfortable tearing apart transmissions.

Modified by ek forever guy at 8:02 PM 8/18/2007
Old 08-18-2007, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">IMO rebuilding a d-series tranny isn't worth it. They're so cheap it's a waste of time.

I got my y8 tranny for $180 shipped with ~80k on it. Has been running great for 20k.

I DID however replace the input shaft bearing and the throwout bearing as a precaution. On the contrary I, like most people, aren't comfortable tearing apart transmissions. </TD></TR></TABLE>

ISB is in the tranny lol if you replaced it then you tore it apart, and what i think actualy happened was you replaced the throwout bearing and pilot bearing
Old 08-18-2007, 07:01 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (highrev1987)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by highrev1987 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ISB is in the tranny lol if you replaced it then you tore it apart, and what i think actualy happened was you replaced the throwout bearing and pilot bearing </TD></TR></TABLE>

I stand corrected. I did replace the external/easy to reach bearings.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by k powered ej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

noooooooooo................... it isnt </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm sorry, it's not the same, it serves the same purpose.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">syndacate can build a 552ci big block with nitrous, but cant install a SOHC tranny. AHAHHAHAHAHAHA, sorry, AHAHAHAHAH.

but really, a good used hydro sohc trans shouldnt be more than $125, then $300 for labor, so $425 is the max i would pay.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, the labor isn't part of it - it's JUST THE TRANSMISSION, NO INSTALL. The point is that if the trans is shot the warranty says that THEY'LL replace it.

Secondly, it was a 509.

Thirdly, refer to the first paragraph once again.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by maynards_ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Average shop (not dealership) labor rates are abou $75 an hour. I would say that is a decent deal on a warranted and installed trans. However, it is easily done yourself if you get the car high enough in the air. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I said trans + warranty, no labor - labor is being done here. I ask you read more carefully next time.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by big-cat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah but syndicate, how much power/what are you doing to destroy a tranny for a d-series??</TD></TR></TABLE>

Stock, going rate for a trans here is 300 for a low mileage/mint cond. trans - I'm simply wondering how much you'd rate a 6 month full labor (THEY DO IT) replacement warranty is worth?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Cut him some slack. We do the same for you. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Coincidence, I have neither.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by highrev1987 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I do, cause i work on Hondas lol

Back on Topic: Why not just rebuild the tranny you have??</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not sure it's just the ISB. the guy greased the **** outta it when I bought it so you couldn't hear it - so it went like 100 miles then started grinding like a *****. I don't know how much damage is done inside the transmission but don't feel like ripping it out and not having a replacement ready.

Quick Reply: Y8 trans pricing