Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

XS Engineering HUGE intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XS Engineering HUGE intercooler

Hey guys.... so I'm walking through the grocery store the other day, and I pick up the new issue of HCI..... WOW on the front is an EG hatch with the biggest intercooler I think I have ever seen. Well, I simply MUST have it! Can anyone help me out in where I can get it. It's made by XS Engineering, but the larest I could find that they make it 24x11x** and it's gotta be bigger then that doesn't it? Please let me know. http://www.hcimagazine.com/Cover.asp Any help is very much appreciated!!!
Old 07-30-2003, 12:56 PM
Boba Connoisseur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: XS Engineering HUGE intercooler (btleier)

Running 9s are you?

Call XS. Ask for the biggest intercooler they have.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:57 PM

Try the Forced Induction forum......
Old 07-30-2003, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: XS Engineering HUGE intercooler (SkyeC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkyeC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Running 9s are you?

Call XS. Ask for the biggest intercooler they have. </TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly or you might even want to drop them an email. That would be the easiest way.
Old 07-30-2003, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

yeah the bigger the better.....
Old 07-30-2003, 03:23 PM
EPIC TUNING

Default Re: XS Engineering HUGE intercooler (SkyeC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkyeC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Running 9s are you?

Call XS. Ask for the biggest intercooler they have. </TD></TR></TABLE>

"I need one of dem, the big one. No make that 2"
Old 07-30-2003, 03:27 PM

Just contact them saying, "I recently saw the intercooler on the cover car on HCI, I'm interested in it."

Voila.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:36 PM

Default Re: XS Engineering HUGE intercooler (rewsnaeht)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rewsnaeht &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

"I need one of dem, the big one. No make that 2" </TD></TR></TABLE>
my thoughts exactly

start off slow...do u ahve a turbo car?...or do u just want one for the bling factor
Old 07-30-2003, 05:34 PM

Default Re: XS Engineering HUGE intercooler (boostCreep)

GAY||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||STRAIGHT
^
this is where you
are at on the
GAYOMETER
Old 07-30-2003, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: XS Engineering HUGE intercooler (viprcr1)

Boy, we're awfully critical. I'm gay just because I want a big intercooler? To answer your question, I'm in the the middle of an h23 vtec, turbo build up. I recently got an EG hatch, that I'm prepping for race.
Old 07-30-2003, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How is that for big. Its a trust, make me an offer.(well its not mine but im sure the owner will sell for a good price)
Old 07-30-2003, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by btleier &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Boy, we're awfully critical. I'm gay just because I want a big intercooler? To answer your question, I'm in the the middle of an h23 vtec, turbo build up. I recently got an EG hatch, that I'm prepping for race. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's called pressure drop and you're going to have a LOT of it regardless of what motor you're running...

An intercooler that size would take 20lbs out of the turbo and turn it into 10-15 at most on the other end.
Old 07-30-2003, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: XS Engineering HUGE intercooler (NonovUrbizniz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It's called pressure drop and you're going to have a LOT of it regardless of what motor you're running...

An intercooler that size would take 20lbs out of the turbo and turn it into 10-15 at most on the other end.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not so XS actually claims more like a couple psi then 5-10psi like you are stating...There intercoolers are very effiecent
Old 07-30-2003, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

An intercooler that size would take 20lbs out of the turbo and turn it into 10-15 at most on the other end.</TD></TR></TABLE>Im going to disagree with you chief. On a boosted B20/vtec (pictured above), we ran the wastegate vacuum line from the turbo. We teed into that and get 6psi. We also teed into the manifold side (after intercooler) and the pressure is still 6psi. I thought that the intercooler would drop pressure too, but it isnt. Maybe pressure drop is in the quality of the ic?
Old 07-30-2003, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: XS Engineering HUGE intercooler (EF9_SiR)

well... a quality intercooler should cool down the charge air... if it isn't doing so then it isn't very good... if it's doing so and not loosing pressure then it has officialy defied the laws of chemistry.

temp. and pressure are directly related... the hotter a gas the higher the pressure and vice versus... so if it's getting ANY colder it's loosing pressure...

You of course wouldn't be performing these pressure tests with the car not moving (ie not passing any cooling air through the intercooler).

*edit*
Oh and if you're running 6psi and an intercooler at all much less a big one; you're nuts....
*/edit*
Old 07-30-2003, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: XS Engineering HUGE intercooler (SOUNDEFFECTS)

Beat me to it! Thank you
Old 07-30-2003, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well... a quality intercooler should cool down the charge air... if it isn't doing so then it isn't very good... if it's doing so and not loosing pressure then it has officialy defied the laws of chemistry.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't you mean laws of physics? Nitrous oxide would include chemistry.

And yes, you will get pressure loss from a core that big. Not the 10-15psi loss...but some.
Old 07-30-2003, 06:50 PM
GSRswapandslow

cooler air is more compressed...therefore it is more dense...and therefore it should have more pressure for the same flow.

warmer air is less dense...and wouldn't "push" as hard since there is room for the air molecules to move around. it woudl be less directed and more chaotic.

a GOOD intercooler will cool the air, and shouldn't have more than a PSIG drop of 1 or 2 at most.

THe XS is a quality intercooler, and when it comes to a race car or street car...it's going to be a good choice.

If the I/C itself is too big, just make a smaller pipe coming from the turbo to intercooler and you should be fine
Old 07-30-2003, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: XS Engineering HUGE intercooler (98CTRCoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98CTRCoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Don't you mean laws of physics? Nitrous oxide would include chemistry.

And yes, you will get pressure loss from a core that big. Not the 10-15psi loss...but some. </TD></TR></TABLE>

No I meant the laws of chemistry... as oxygen as well as air are BOTH gases... ones which are subject to the laws of chemistry which state that pressure rises with temperature and drops with it as well....
Old 07-30-2003, 06:55 PM
GSRswapandslow

that is in a sealed container....it wouldn't be the same effect when it's ina dynamic situation as air flow into and engine
Old 07-30-2003, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GSRswapandbanned)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GSRswapandbanned &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cooler air is more compressed...therefore it is more dense...and therefore it should have more pressure for the same flow.

warmer air is less dense...and wouldn't "push" as hard since there is room for the air molecules to move around. it woudl be less directed and more chaotic.

a GOOD intercooler will cool the air, and shouldn't have more than a PSIG drop of 1 or 2 at most.

THe XS is a quality intercooler, and when it comes to a race car or street car...it's going to be a good choice.

If the I/C itself is too big, just make a smaller pipe coming from the turbo to intercooler and you should be fine</TD></TR></TABLE>

the density of the air is determined by the source of fresh air... once it has entered the compressor it will get no more oxygen added to it... it will be compressed... during the process it will heat up (not just from the process of compression but also from the heat soak from the turbo exhaust housing) this HOT compressed air is more dense then it was however once it cools again it looses a good deal of the density. Still more dense than before but not as dense as before the cooling...

the 5-10psi loss was an over estimate... but it WILL create pressure drop and the more effective the intercooler (IE the more the charge air is cooled) the more pressure drop there will be... there is NO way to cool it and keep it as dense...

and no gases expand and contract relative to temperature in both sealed and open environments...

AND... your turbo boosted car's intake sytem had better be a sealed system (ie a bottle) or it's not going to be running ANY pressure.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:11 PM
GSRswapandslow

it is a dynamic "container" IT doesn't stay compressed after it's moved farther down the line.

The pressure drop in an I/C is from losing velocity. The compressed air goes in, uncompresses somewhat from the dispersion of volume of the "container" and then when it compresses again it it gets some more heat. With A GOOD core this isn't as drastic as in a cheaper core.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GSRswapandbanned)

That's pressure drop inherent to ALL forced induction cars... not just turbo's or even just turbo/intercooled...

THE ONLY pressure drop caused SPECIFICALLY by an intercooler is temp drop. PERIOD...

You can argue what you want... Like I said my figures aren't calculated I was just saying the more temp you shave off the more pressure you shave off...

So the bigger NOT the better... unless you are running REALLY HIGH boost... or egt's get VERY high causing more heat soak.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NonovUrbizniz)

Well I'd like to see 30 lbs of boost... what do you think about that intercooler at those boost levels?

Modified by btleier at 3:00 AM 8/1/2003
Old 07-31-2003, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (btleier)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by btleier &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well I'd like to see 30 lbs of boost... what do you think about that intercooler at those boost levels?

Modified by btleier at 3:00 AM 8/1/2003</TD></TR></TABLE>

what kind of setup do you have to be shooting for 30lbs of boost!?

Quick Reply: XS Engineering HUGE intercooler