Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

WTF is this thing on my buddy's ECU 94 dx hatch

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 07:01 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF is this thing on my buddy's ECU 94 dx hatch

So my buddy bought a 94 DX hatch that he plans on boosting down the road. We were cleaning it out and we found a USB cable hanging in the glove box. We traced it down to the ECU. I opened the ecu and it was soldered into three leeds close to the outside edge of the board. I am guessing this means the car might be running UBER, or something like that.

Any idea's

I have never dealt with ECU crap before.

Thanks guys
Old 08-08-2006, 07:02 PM

Default Re: WTF is this thing on my buddy's ECU 94 dx hatch (Benjithx)

Take a picture of the Inside, of the ECU.

It could have a datalogging cable, with a free-ware software such as CROME, Uberdata.

Or It could have Hondata, or Neptune.

Post a picture
Old 08-08-2006, 08:49 PM

Default Re: WTF is this thing on my buddy's ECU 94 dx hatch (dxcoupe.)

post a picture
Old 08-08-2006, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WTF is this thing on my buddy's ECU 94 dx hatch (ap1_driver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ap1_driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">post a picture</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-08-2006, 09:22 PM
Trial User

Default Re: WTF is this thing on my buddy's ECU 94 dx hatch (ap1_driver)

Some how i knew you guys were going to say that, so I took these while it was out

Old 08-08-2006, 09:30 PM
Trial User

one more question...

He doesn't have power steering and we were thinking about adding it... how involved and what is needed to retrofit that?

Thanks
Old 08-08-2006, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Benjithx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">one more question...

He doesn't have power steering and we were thinking about adding it... how involved and what is needed to retrofit that?

Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

any reason for adding power steering?
Unless he is disabled and really needs the help steering it is not worth it.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WTF is this thing on my buddy's ECU 94 dx hatch (Minglor)

first you have to make sure if the turbo setup is power steering compatible. also you would have to switch out the steering rack. if i were you i wouldn't go through the hassle. just leave it
Old 08-08-2006, 09:52 PM
Trial User

Default Re: WTF is this thing on my buddy's ECU 94 dx hatch (Minglor)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LilCivic04 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">first you have to make sure if the turbo setup is power steering compatible. also you would have to switch out the steering rack. if i were you i wouldn't go through the hassle. just leave it</TD></TR></TABLE>

gotcha I was affraid of that. Thanks man
Old 08-08-2006, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it's not running uber or anything for that matter because it's not chipped. prob just a factory diagnosis to see how the motor is running. can anyone correct me?
Old 08-08-2006, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WTF is this thing on my buddy's ECU 94 dx hatch (shyboi4u)

no chip? beats me. now im curious someone chime in and let us now whats up
Old 08-09-2006, 12:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WTF is this thing on my buddy's ECU 94 dx hatch (JDM_COUPE)

i can explain it but i can't think of how to explain it. so i'll try my best. say you bring it to honda to see it the motor is running right. they use this scanning tool just like for 0bdII but for 0bdI. it plugs into a 3 pin connector (blue plug) on the passenger side next to the 2 pin blue connector. by adding the usb you won't need the that special tool that honda has. You can use your computer and with a program. you can examine how the engine is running.

Modified by shyboi4u at 3:41 AM 8/9/2006
Old 08-09-2006, 12:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shyboi4u &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i can explain it but i can't think of how to explain it. so i'll try my best. say you bring it to honda to see it the motor is running right. they use this scanning tool just like for 0bdII but for 0bdI. it plugs into a 3 pin harness (blue plug) on the passenger side next to the 2 pin blue plug. by adding the usb you won't need the that special tool that honda has. You can use your computer and with a program. you can examine how the engine is running. </TD></TR></TABLE>

all obd equip vehicles has a location where you can hook up a scanner. but maybe the previous owner was using it with a program on a laptop
Old 08-09-2006, 12:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WTF is this thing on my buddy's ECU 94 dx hatch (fmrprojects)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fmrprojects &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">all obd equip vehicles has a location where you can hook up a scanner. but maybe the previous owner was using it with a program on a laptop</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's what i'm saying buddy.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Reatdred. It's a datalogger you can use it with ECUControl, or crome/uberdata. But the thing is, it's useless since the ecu is not chipped. Also the only way to get it to beable to fuction is, to chip the ecu. Also you need to added datalogging option to the eprrom. Then you can use the cable. Download crome and play around with it. Load a genric p28 / p30 rom and go to options there should be an option on datalogging.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:01 AM

Default Re: (dem0nk1d)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dem0nk1d &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Reatdred. It's a datalogger you can use it with ECUControl, or crome/uberdata. But the thing is, it's useless since the ecu is not chipped. Also the only way to get it to beable to fuction is, to chip the ecu. Also you need to added datalogging option to the eprrom. Then you can use the cable. Download crome and play around with it. Load a genric p28 / p30 rom and go to options there should be an option on datalogging.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The only person who knows what hes talking about. Everything he said is correct.

I think there may have been a way to manually allow you to datalog (read it somewhere, but likely wrong). Maybe it was cutting a jumper of some sort. but if that was the case, you would be data logging rpm, map sensor voltage, a useless inaccurate narrowband voltage, and tps voltage.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:17 AM

Default Re: (dem0nk1d)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dem0nk1d &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Reatdred. It's a datalogger you can use it with ECUControl, or crome/uberdata. But the thing is, it's useless since the ecu is not chipped. Also the only way to get it to beable to fuction is, to chip the ecu. Also you need to added datalogging option to the eprrom. Then you can use the cable. Download crome and play around with it. Load a genric p28 / p30 rom and go to options there should be an option on datalogging.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's completely useless as of right now. Like demon said, the ECU is not chipped, meaning a program like ECU control won't even work on that ECU.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Br1anPham &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think there may have been a way to manually allow you to datalog (read it somewhere, but likely wrong). Maybe it was cutting a jumper of some sort. but if that was the case, you would be data logging rpm, map sensor voltage, a useless inaccurate narrowband voltage, and tps voltage.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think it's the J12 jumper on the P28 that needs to be cut on occasion for datalogging.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:50 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (Everyones Hero)

Thanks guys
Old 08-09-2006, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Benjithx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">one more question...

Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wasnt able to answer your ecu question, but answering your PS question:

Its not that hard or THAT involved if you know how to use a wrench. You need a PS rack and pinion, and the PS lines that run along the left side of the engine bay to the canister and then the bracket and pump, etc. The hardest thing is swapping out the rack because you have to meneauver it out from under the car and then you need an alignment once you put the new rack in.

The rack is all of about 4 bolts holding it to the subframe and then the two bolts to the tie rods.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shyboi4u &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it's not running uber or anything for that matter because it's not chipped. prob just a factory diagnosis to see how the motor is running. can anyone correct me?</TD></TR></TABLE>
yea most likely that just to check codes nd ****
Old 08-09-2006, 12:22 PM

Default Re: WTF is this thing on my buddy's ECU 94 dx hatch (boosted-K24-EK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted-K24-EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea most likely that just to check codes nd **** </TD></TR></TABLE>

No, the correct answer has already been posted above.