Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

would you mess with your beater?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how far have you gone with modding your beater?

Alright peoples. If you have a strong project car meaning work done to the inside and outside and a decent beater would any of you do anything to make the beater a little more fun?

Modified by Drkaccrd at 12:40 PM 9/8/2005
Old 09-08-2005, 07:52 AM

Default Re: would you mess with your beater? (Drkaccrd)

yes, as long as it stays within your budget and you dont' sacrifice your race car. I'd probably just do suspension/brakes.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i did. Nothing to big, thou. My integra is my main project, but I did buy a few things to make my daily just a lil fun to drive.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: would you mess with your beater? (HOUCK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HOUCK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes, as long as it stays within your budget and you dont' sacrifice your race car. I'd probably just do suspension/brakes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would prob also add I/H/E if money alowed, but def suspension first.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:06 AM

Default Re: would you mess with your beater? (Slow EJ8)

yeah sounds pretty good so far. suspension,i/h/e. pretty tempting. anyone else?
Old 09-08-2005, 08:07 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once you start modding your beater you'll wanna 'complete' it.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: would you mess with your beater? (litterbox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Once you start modding your beater you'll wanna 'complete' it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

100% on that.

I have been tempted to fix my 93 hatch up so many times, I've been looking at parts, motors, paint colors. But I know as soon as I fix the body work, I will want to go under the hood and follow to the inside.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:16 AM

Default Re: how far have you gone with modding your beater?

yeah that is true you'll catch the i'm only going to this and that bug and then it'll start itching after the bite. Maybe I should change the tilte description to "how far have you gone with your beater?" what do you think?

Modified by Drkaccrd at 12:35 PM 9/8/2005
Old 09-08-2005, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm putting together a beater right now. I actually plan on swapping it and trading the suspension out. Also gonna let the local autobody class take care of the paint for me.

When it's done, I'll buy something nice and commence modding it for weekend use. I'll be able to enjoy my "beater" 5 days a week and my "nice car" on the weekends.

Old 09-08-2005, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: would you mess with your beater? (Heath)

Of course.. thats why when i get my bike thats going to be my beater.. haha.. oh yea this should be in GDD.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:32 AM

Default Re: would you mess with your beater? (sohcvtec1995)

whats GDD?
Old 09-08-2005, 08:32 AM

Why would you want to make your daily driver loud and uncomfortable? Kinda pointless.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how far have you gone with modding your beater? (Drkaccrd)

no mods on my beater 00 sunfire. as opposed to my baby 94 sol. once you start its hard to stop. thats why i always recommend a beater thats not a honda or easily modded
Old 09-08-2005, 09:06 AM

Default Re: how far have you gone with modding your beater? (postman)

I agree with what was said above...once you start moddin' it's hard to stop.

Bottom line is moddin' is addictive.

Modified by SiRMike at 11:18 AM 9/8/2005
Old 09-08-2005, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how far have you gone with modding your beater? (SiRMike)

Self control. That is all.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:50 AM
11:11

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Once you start modding your beater you'll wanna 'complete' it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

This is so true

I just bought a 92 accord beater, now I'm thinking H22.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: would you mess with your beater? (JDM-97CX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-97CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why would you want to make your daily driver loud and uncomfortable? Kinda pointless.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exhaust doesnt have to be loud and suspension doesnt have to be uncomfortable.

I do think it is true though that once you start you might not wanna stop. That prob what would happen to me. I need another car first tho
Old 09-08-2005, 10:21 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: would you mess with your beater? (smithenhiven)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by smithenhiven &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This is so true

I just bought a 92 accord beater, now I'm thinking H22. </TD></TR></TABLE>HAHAH, you're fucked.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:36 AM

How do you change your post title? Or should I just start a new one?
Old 09-09-2005, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Drkaccrd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How do you change your post title? Or should I just start a new one?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dunno...
Old 09-09-2005, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i plan on turboing my beater when funds permit...nothing crazy (t25) just a little more torque when its needed. plus NA sucks.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my beater is my project car
Old 09-09-2005, 08:57 AM

Default Re: (Hyjnx)

I have a theory that you can make a car more enjoyable to drive without going over the top. Things like better seats, short shifter, shift ****, rear sway bar, better shocks, maybe an air filter and muffler instead of a cold air intake and cat back. Nothing thats going to compromise the reliability factor. This is the route I'm taking with my wife's SE-R Spec-V. TWM short shifter and a 350-Z shift **** are the only things on the agenda so far. My daily beater EG Civic sedan is getting a lot of "free upgrades" in the form of stock parts that I removed from my Integra while modifying it for track days and auto-x. I used the stock Integra shocks, a set of Tokico springs from a friend, Integra rear LCAs and rear sway bar, front strut tower bar, '99 SI shift ****. I also have the stock 14" Integra steelies on it and I use the stock Civic 13"s for snows. I could do the seats too, they're in the attic, but I happen to like the EG seats.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Type_RS_59)

Wow just a funny story I must tell about this topic. My friend had a 94 Civic coupe which he spent like 6500 bucks on exterior and interior mods, and the car was sick. Only problem was it was a bone stock D16 with no mods. So, while driving around we spotted a crew of domestic losers that laughed at his car, and made hick comments. This dude challenged us to race his 13 second (or so he said Chevelle). We accepted under one condition, we go get my buddies other car. So we came back with his 11 second 240 and boy was it hilarious. not the best story but my buddy pocketed 250 bucks, and it just goes to show that people who run their mouths usually never win, unless you drive a 240SX. So yes, if you drive a beater daily, why not make it enjoyable to drive around and be in.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rfoster03)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Type_RS_59 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a theory that you can make a car more enjoyable to drive without going over the top. Things like better seats, short shifter, shift ****, rear sway bar, better shocks, maybe an air filter and muffler instead of a cold air intake and cat back. Nothing thats going to compromise the reliability factor. This is the route I'm taking with my wife's SE-R Spec-V. TWM short shifter and a 350-Z shift **** are the only things on the agenda so far. My daily beater EG Civic sedan is getting a lot of "free upgrades" in the form of stock parts that I removed from my Integra while modifying it for track days and auto-x. I used the stock Integra shocks, a set of Tokico springs from a friend, Integra rear LCAs and rear sway bar, front strut tower bar, '99 SI shift ****. I also have the stock 14" Integra steelies on it and I use the stock Civic 13"s for snows. I could do the seats too, they're in the attic, but I happen to like the EG seats.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree. My DA integra is my main objective. I will spend the big bucks on that car, while my eg hatch gets ebay stuff. I made my eg as comfortable as would want it to be with out going overboard. I don't want to take any reliability out of my hatch, so all i did "performance" wise was slap on a nice exhaust. Which, i have to say, is not loud at all.

Quick Reply: would you mess with your beater?