Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Would you buy a boosted car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you buy a boosted car?

I have the option to buy 1 of 2 cars. The cars are the identical make / model, but one has a built motor, turbo setup, and tuned by a professional. Would you buy a car that was heavily modified?
Old 06-14-2005, 06:29 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

No, I wouldn't buy a car that has been turbo'd or built. I would buy a stock car and do the work my self, you will enjoy it more and all the blood and sweat put into it will make it worth it.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:32 PM

if its from a well known professional and good deal i would

Default Re: (OsNApArAvEr)

well if it has all been done legit, and there are papers to prove it, and the price isn't bad, i would buy it less work more fun
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (OsNApArAvEr)

It can depend...but if you've never built a motor before i would def. get the stock one..but if the turbo'd car is a VERY VERY good deal, i think i would get that..
Old 06-14-2005, 06:33 PM
Electrician

It's called another person's headache and Algerian Engineering. So in other words, no.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally can't stand to buy a car that's "done." I enjoy building them far more than having them.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Kendall)

I wouldn't. Just to name a few reasons why:
1. It's more than likely been raced
2. I don't know what parts were used to build it without actually pulling it apart
3. I don't know if they took short cuts or did half *** work putting it together
Old 06-14-2005, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SOHC4life 96)

i agree. I definalty wouldnt buy a car that has any type of forced induction on it, simply for the fact that u know its been "abused". Dont do it man save urself a major headache......
Old 06-14-2005, 07:13 PM

It depends. What is in it, how many miles on the engine, how they drove it, and how they maintained it.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Deemeetree)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Deemeetree &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's called another person's headache and Algerian Engineering. So in other words, no.</TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC4life 96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wouldn't. Just to name a few reasons why:
1. It's more than likely been raced
2. I don't know what parts were used to build it without actually pulling it apart
3. I don't know if they took short cuts or did half *** work putting it together</TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kendall &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I personally can't stand to buy a car that's "done." I enjoy building them far more than having them.</TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OsNApArAvEr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No, I wouldn't buy a car that has been turbo'd or built. I would buy a stock car and do the work my self, you will enjoy it more and all the blood and sweat put into it will make it worth it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 06-14-2005, 09:38 PM

Default Re: (sohcvtec1995)

No, takes the half the fun away.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (project ef-d)

the best part of a care in my opinion is building it yourself and hearing it start after days of work
Old 06-14-2005, 10:52 PM

if u cant do it yourself why not...

if the car has been tuned properly whats to lose

worst that could happen is u blow the engine.. in which case u sell the turbo and ****, and buy a stock engine..

id go for the prebuilt car...
Old 06-14-2005, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Morning Call)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Deemeetree &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's called another person's headache and Algerian Engineering. So in other words, no.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats it....it of course is someone elts problems, let me give u a brief story... my friend wanted a hatch and there were none out there but one popped up on autotrader one day but it had been played with but he still insisted i went to look at it with him..well the car did check out ok i mean look decent didnt look like a lot of wear....fast forward about a month and a half now and the car starts rubbing in the back (fenders and tires) so we take the springs out look around and the spring were put in up side down..hmm ok next thing is he is driving and the trans goes out. this car has 55k mind you and so we rip that apart and i can say there are wires and **** everywhere they they didnt organize when they "modded" it. anyway we look at the clutch and the damn thing had more wear on it than my 95k coupe...well thats just my experiance seen with buying a car thats been played with for some people its a good thing because they have no idea what they are doing and dont have all the money to do it.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Would you buy a boosted car? (mjrage)

Who built the car?
Do u have any links?
If it is a a reputable builder, I would buy it.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Would you buy a boosted car? (Turbocivic94)

I'd never buy somebody's project, no matter who built it. I don't need somebody else's headaches.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Would you buy a boosted car? (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd never buy somebody's project, no matter who built it. I don't need somebody else's headaches. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah it defeats the pupose.. kinda..
Old 06-15-2005, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Would you buy a boosted car? (NerveAgent)

Definitely do it yourself...Its worth it and you have more fun than just buying something you cant modify....b/c someone else already did this and that....
Old 06-15-2005, 07:32 PM

yeah a factory boosted
Old 06-15-2005, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Personally i would buy the professionally done up ride with the most proof of products/work possible. On the other hand you cant trust whats underneath the hood these days cuz someone "said so". Much more satisfying if you DIY from scratch and plus if something goes wrong or breaks you know its not cuz the previous owner beat the pi$$ out of it.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Would you buy a boosted car? (B18B1atch)

I wouldnt cuz i know the fact that ppl with built cars beat the shiet out of them. i know cuz i do it and everyone else would too if they got a built car.

u dont wanna waste your money buying a car that wont last u and u end up wasting money to fix it
Old 06-15-2005, 08:53 PM

Default Re: Would you buy a boosted car?

i wouldnt because the previous owner prolly ragged the **** out of that car, now granted its just an assumption but theres a pretty good chance. i prefer buying a stock car off of some old people that took real good care of it and modding it myself so i know what exactly has been done and i would know everything is done exactly how i want. its your choice but so do what you want...thats just my two cents
Old 06-15-2005, 09:35 PM

Default Re: Would you buy a boosted car? (Honda_Driver)

Bought my car built from Inline Pro, Had a few wiring gremlins but that was it. I happen to like electrical engineering so fixing wiring wasn't a problem. by the way its a 11.7 sec hatch... No regrets.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:17 AM

If you know what your looking for and you run the proper test on the vechicle you can save a **** load of money buying a already modded car. A fully built motor is built to race so why would you complain about it being raced on. If it shoots good comp #s on a comp test and everything else checks out. I would deff buy a previous built boosted car. Ive built two boosted civics myself so far also. It tends to get very pricey to do it right and maint. them. But you can deff save Alot though!

Quick Reply: Would you buy a boosted car?