Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Would going from B16 to D16 make you lose your enthusiasm?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 11:46 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would going from B16 to D16 make you lose your enthusiasm?

My coupe has been hit. It runs, but needs all front body panels fxed + windsheild. The coupe has all the best EG parts, like the black interior, power options, ect, plus the B series, so someone wants it for a Z6 car.

It's a good thing to be getting another car, but the switch back will suck. I'm not about SOHC power, or trying to squeeze anything out of it, your **** is I/H/E/port/cam/tune just to match B16A stock HP.

So, naturally, nothing will get done to this motor except basic maintenance, and me putting a B16 ECU on it, like I did on the SOHC in my coupe. That said the downgrade decreases MY enthusiasm, and want to mod for speed.

What about yours, if you downgraded?

Old 11-01-2005, 02:25 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Would going from B16 to D16 make you lose your enthusiasm? (diegoaccord)

Someone very wise on this board once said "Trying to make NA power out of an SOHC is like trying to make a diamond out of a piece of crap."

Boost it, and you'll be happy.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Would going from B16 to D16 make you lose your enthusiasm? (litterbox)

i almost downgraded in my EK hatch to a Z6/y8 engine...only i was gonna boost the **** outta it....

i would do exactly what you said you were gonna do...basic maintenance...and a B series ECU....rev freely
Old 11-01-2005, 05:12 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Would going from B16 to D16 make you lose your enthusiasm? (diegoaccord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So, naturally, nothing will get done to this motor except basic maintenance, and me putting a B16 ECU on it, like I did on the SOHC in my coupe.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would do exactly what you said you were gonna do...basic maintenance...and a B series ECU....rev freely </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah you guys go ahead and slap a B16A ECU and make the engine slower due to running too rich, and then rev it well past it's peak whp range of 6800-7200rpm and sling a rod out of the block.

Then you'll come on here posting how "SOHC engines suck ***" etc. etc.

Not to mention if you run a true B16A P30 ECU you'll be throwing a check engine code for knock sensor unless you actually add a knock sensor - I'm sure you knew about that, right?

I'm sure this will come to blows and be yet another bullshit "SOHC vs. DOHC" topic, but oh well.

We'll see what kind of clever rebuttals you guys come up with in terms of why overrevving a SOHC "makes more power" and whatnot - I'll be here waiting.

Oh and because you have already made this a D series vs. B series topic let me take it yet another step further and tell you that the B16A is by no means the pinnacle of B series power. Once you've owned all 3 major B series engines - B16A, B18C1, B18C5 all in the same chassis you appreciate the extra torque and whp from the 1.8L mills.

The B16A is an awesome engine no doubt, but like the SOHC vs. DOHC debate one could always say "going from a B18C5 down to a shitty B16A is the pits y0!"

...and one could always say "going from a boosted B16A back to a stock shitty one sucks ***!"

See my point?

Lastly:

A friend of mine and myself have built VERY mild SOHC engines with the only internal mod being older generation D16A1 Integra pistons to achieve 11.5:1CR in his D16Z6, and 11:1CR in my D16A6 - both engines run very well, and I have absolutely no doubt that his D16Z6 in its current form would be faster than a B16A with an LS TRANNY like you had, even in the same chassis. I'd probably put money on my little non-VTEC D16A6 as well seeing as how it always ran even with my wife's 143whp B16A2 hatch with the CORRECT B16A S4C tranny in it. I also made the gearing in my D tranny closer with a combo of ZC gears with a 4.26 Si FD, but I guess that was a waste of time, eh?

Old 11-01-2005, 05:31 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: Would going from B16 to D16 make you lose your enthusiasm? (B18C5-EH2)

I've gone from a D15B7 to a K24/EG and now I'm going back to a beater like a stock EF hatch or something. You get used to it man. Needless to say, I won't be modding this car.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:45 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: Would going from B16 to D16 make you lose your enthusiasm? (litterbox)

Tom i've decided that your posts contain too much information.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:49 AM
cute little bastard

Default Re: Would going from B16 to D16 make you lose your enthusiasm? (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Tom i've decided that your posts contain too much information.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol seriously. He's on a rampage
Old 11-01-2005, 06:23 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Would going from B16 to D16 make you lose your enthusiasm? (B18C5-EH2)

Originally Posted by B18C5-EH2

Yeah you guys go ahead and slap a B16A ECU and make the engine slower due to running too rich, and then rev it well past it's peak whp range of 6800-7200rpm and sling a rod out of the block.

<FONT COLOR="red">This is my original setup

(PR3-J01)

If you wanna make power at 8K, retard that **** all the on the dist. I did that, I was slow as **** off the line, well slow below 6K, but when teh VTAK hit it was DOHC like. As far as I'm concerned, it's the only way to drive a SOHC, you get loud *** VTAK, and</FONT>

Then you'll come on here posting how "SOHC engines suck ***" etc. etc.

Not to mention if you run a true B16A P30 ECU you'll be throwing a check engine code for knock sensor unless you actually add a knock sensor - I'm sure you knew about that, right?

<FONT COLOR="red">

I ran a PR3-J01 (OBD1 2G Teg XSi)on my original D16Z6, and yeah I know about the KS CEL. I also know that a KS on a Z6 doesn't affect performance, since there isn't even a 12v source for that particular function as stock. umkay?</FONT>

I'm sure this will come to blows and be yet another bullshit "SOHC vs. DOHC" topic, but oh well.

We'll see what kind of clever rebuttals you guys come up with in terms of why overrevving a SOHC "makes more power" and whatnot - I'll be here waiting.

Oh and because you have already made this a D series vs. B series topic let me take it yet another step further and tell you that the B16A is by no means the pinnacle of B series power. Once you've owned all 3 major B series engines - B16A, B18C1, B18C5 all in the same chassis you appreciate the extra torque and whp from the 1.8L mills.

<FONT COLOR="red"> I'm really more about high RPM, and as far as I'm concerned you can keep your GSR/Type R, with their **** R/S. Almost the same as an LS with oil sqirters. So, PERSONALLY (as in OPINION) I don't care about the 1.8's. I had the choice of a poor mans R with GSR tranny, or B16/LS...both about the same price, you see what I chose. I only regret the tranny.</FONT>

The B16A is an awesome engine no doubt, but like the SOHC vs. DOHC debate one could always say "going from a B18C5 down to a shitty B16A is the pits y0!"

...and one could always say "going from a boosted B16A back to a stock shitty one sucks ***!"

See my point?

<FONT COLOR="red"> Yes I do. I understand the B16 isn't fast at all. Mine has been beaten by a SOHC hatch stripped to ****. Also, I don't like boost(on Hondas). But, I get your point.</FONT>

Lastly:

A friend of mine and myself have built VERY mild SOHC engines with the only internal mod being older generation D16A1 Integra pistons to achieve 11.5:1CR in his D16Z6, and 11:1CR in my D16A6 - both engines run very well, and I have absolutely no doubt that his D16Z6 in its current form would be faster than a B16A with an LS TRANNY like you had, even in the same chassis. I'd probably put money on my little non-VTEC D16A6 as well seeing as how it always ran even with my wife's 143whp B16A2 hatch with the CORRECT B16A S4C tranny in it. I also made the gearing in my D tranny closer with a combo of ZC gears with a 4.26 Si FD, but I guess that was a waste of time, eh?

<FONT COLOR="red"> No. In a hatch, yes, but not in a coupe EJ1. I raced a stock EJ1 with my poorly geared B16 EJ1, and after 1st gear (we were even) there was no race. If that **** is built, in a EJ1, it'll take the B through 1st, but during second-4th, the B will have made that difference back up.

BTW, for ME, it would be a waste. I like power options and full interiors, and coupes. I've never seen a fast/quick SOHC mix too well with them.

But this isnt really D VS B, this is more..say... "If you've gone down, how do you cope?"</FONT>
Old 11-01-2005, 07:17 AM
Former Moderator

Wow all of that and no dyno numbers or 1/4 mile times?

It's funny you call the 1.8L VTEC engines' R/s ratio "shitty" yet you'll overrev the ******* **** out of an engine with just 75mm bore and 90mm stroke!!!

Oh and who cares about "loud *** VTEC" anyways? What kind of numbers did it make?
Old 11-01-2005, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow all of that and no dyno numbers or 1/4 mile times?

It's funny you call the 1.8L VTEC engines' R/s ratio "shitty" yet you'll overrev the ******* **** out of an engine with just 75mm bore and 90mm stroke!!!

Oh and who cares about "loud *** VTEC" anyways? What kind of numbers did it make?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm sure he doesn't know, because revving to 8k on a SOHC and having loud "VTAK" is more important than dyno numbers or quick track times.

I wish more people here would think before they act. First you're running the wrong ECU. Secondly, you've having to retard timing to run it, essentially killing what little bit of torque you had in the first place, and lastly, you're valvetrain isn't going to last like that.

Oh, and you don't like boost on Hondas? What kind of lameass excuse is that? It's what makes these things quick. You can sit there and complain about how you "don't like boost" while I'm clicking off 13s for half of what it's going to cost you to get a B16 or any D series there all motor.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:29 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Blowing up Z6 = $20. Yes, I mean $20.

Blowing up B18 = $3000-4000.

Who cares about the numbers, when I had my last SOHC, my goal wasn't speed. It won't be speed this time, but making it bearable until I get another B16A.

Even if this is lower than stock, does it really matter? I can't go to the track, and if you have anything faster than a Cavalier I can't race you.

Also, that set up I had ran a stock EH3 (Si D16Z6) with me shifting at 8500, and the race was a TIE. A TIE, with me in the much heavier car. So, I really can't say that it is infact slower.

Edit:

Why I don't like boost on Honda's:

Sound of a B16A with cams and N1 at 10K RPM &gt; sound of a turbo Honda. Turbo kills the noise, but the spooling sounds sexy.

Old 11-01-2005, 07:34 AM
* B A N N E D *

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Am I the only one that things a B series ECU on a D series motor just...I mean even any non-Honda car guy would guess that would be a bad idea. The fuel mappings arent close. Get the stock ECU for the motor and tune it.

You may not like the loss in power from the B to D swap, but you may like the gain in fuel economy.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:42 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: Would going from B16 to D16 make you lose your enthusiasm? (Redline96LX)

:Tom writes massively educated. flammatory response:
Old 11-01-2005, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by diegoaccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Blowing up Z6 = $20. Yes, I mean $20.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Plus the tow home, plus the time and effort to get the new one in...
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by diegoaccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Blowing up B18 = $3000-4000.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
If you get a whole new swap.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by diegoaccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Who cares about the numbers, when I had my last SOHC, my goal wasn't speed. It won't be speed this time, but making it bearable until I get another B16A.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
And I'm sure beating the **** out of a stock motor is going to make it last, and replacing motors is a surefire way to save up for a new one!

Edit:

Why I don't like boost on Honda's:

Sound of a B16A with cams and N1 at 10K RPM &gt; sound of a turbo Honda. Turbo kills the noise, but the spooling sounds sexy.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dubest thing I've ever heard. You don't build a car to rev to 10k to sound good. You build a car to rev to 10k to make power up that high, which turbo's do quite well.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:44 AM
Former Moderator

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">:Tom writes massively educated. flammatory response:</TD></TR></TABLE>

I never go into a topic looking for a fight/argument, but I usually find one when someone posts up misinformation. I rarely ever post solely for the purpose of making fun of someone or calling him names - I make it a point to try and point out something wrong technically speaking with someone's post, then if they continue to argue that's when I go into full-blown ******* mode.

Old 11-01-2005, 07:46 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"></TD></TR></TABLE>The tasteful smiley at the end is the clincher. Nice.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:09 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Would going from B16 to D16 make you lose your enthusiasm? (Ricey McRicerton)

Ricey, I like sound. An N/A B series with 10K RPM is the sex to me. I mean a B series VTEC block, there are many things that determines the sound of the car. LSVTEC, even if taken to 9000, don't have that "sound", and turbo Hondas don't either...it's just a flat engine noise, not that "howl" that N/A B and K series have.

Turbo big enough for 10K:

"Hey man, we gotta run from a 80 roll, dawg yo!"

B18C5, what's the misinfo here? I don't recall giving any info here.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by diegoaccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ricey, I like sound. An N/A B series with 10K RPM is the sex to me. I mean a B series VTEC block, there are many things that determines the sound of the car. LSVTEC, even if taken to 9000, don't have that "sound", and turbo Hondas don't either...it's just a flat engine noise, not that "howl" that N/A B and K series have.

Turbo big enough for 10K:

"Hey man, we gotta run from a 80 roll, dawg yo!"

B18C5, what's the misinfo here? I don't recall giving any info here.</TD></TR></TABLE>

:rolls eyes:

Yeah, because racecars are built for sound. Do you seriously not see how assanine your argument is here?

Ever heard of a RX7? They rev to over 9k on their stock turbos, which are tiny. You do know that turbo efficency is based on how much boost they produce, not how high a car is revving to? If you have a car that revs to 10k but makes boost at 3500, which is doable, you have 6500 rpms worth of turbo to string out.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:25 AM
cute little bastard

If you like sound go buy that exhaust tip whistler

w0000 w00000
Old 11-01-2005, 08:42 AM

Default Re: Would going from B16 to D16 make you lose your enthusiasm? (SkoundrelUSA)

hahahaha.... that thing was so funny.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Would going from B16 to D16 make you lose your enthusiasm? (SkoundrelUSA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkoundrelUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you like sound go buy that exhaust tip whistler

w0000 w00000</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol i saw that..."w00000 w00000...we like it to go w0000 w0000...its just for show man...and i will definately keep selling them"
Old 11-01-2005, 09:00 AM
I forgot more about hondas then you will ever know....

Location: hop,skip, and a jump from the city,, new friggin york, USA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey litterbox, still trying to make a diamond out of your car?
Old 11-01-2005, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by diegoaccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My coupe has been hit. It runs, but needs all front body panels fxed + windsheild. The coupe has all the best EG parts, like the black interior, power options, ect, plus the B series, so someone wants it for a Z6 car.

It's a good thing to be getting another car, but the switch back will suck. I'm not about SOHC power, or trying to squeeze anything out of it, your **** is I/H/E/port/cam/tune just to match B16A stock HP.

So, naturally, nothing will get done to this motor except basic maintenance, and me putting a B16 ECU on it, like I did on the SOHC in my coupe. That said the downgrade decreases MY enthusiasm, and want to mod for speed.

What about yours, if you downgraded?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've pretty much determined your IQ is low just by these few comments:

"So, naturally, nothing will get done to this motor except basic maintenance, and me putting a B16 ECU on it, like I did on the SOHC in my coupe."

and then there is this one:

" I'm not about SOHC power, or trying to squeeze anything out of it, your **** is I/H/E/port/cam/tune just to match B16A stock HP."

Driving a D16Z6 feels better then driving a high strung B16. Thats a fact. I went from a 13 second (on street tires) NA B18C1 setup to a Z6. Believe me, I know how much it sucks. But such is life. Boost is the cure.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Would going from B16 to D16 make you lose your enthusiasm? (Rodney)

visit here https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1409008

I prefer a D16z6 motor over the B16a2 motor....D16z6 with SRR 4.9 FD hmmmm?!!
Old 11-01-2005, 10:16 AM

Default Re: Would going from B16 to D16 make you lose your enthusiasm? (Serdar)

Just my .02 but i had a z6 turbo set up that consisted of STOCK z6 and a homemade turbo kit roughly tuned by me with a vafc and a few good ears and i only had about $5-600 invested in my kit(custom mani,dsm turbo,fmic with custom piping,blitz bov, vortec fmu, and walboro intank fp, and a couple other things) and i blew the doors off my friends ek hatch with a b16 in it(built block with stock head)
with b16 tranny and that had me very pleased, no i dont have dyno #'s or track times cause i traded the kit for another car so i understand the "let down" feeling cause i went back to stock z6 form, but now i have 2 cars to play with

Quick Reply: Would going from B16 to D16 make you lose your enthusiasm?