Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Woops! Water up the intake tube :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Woops! Water up the intake tube :(

Well,

the other day we got a nice day/night **** on here in Chicago area. As you might be able to tell, I had a intake tube runing down to the fender area. What realy sucks, is I was just considering to take off the extender arm that sends the intake to the fender area before it even started to rain.

So yeah, buncha water got into the intake and bogged the engine, as I look out the rear to see huge white smoke clouds creating from the muff. Luckly, I had a flashlight and screw driver to take off the extention tube, but I am still worried it might have caused alot of damage to the motor.

i have cheacked the plugs, changed the oil and tryed to let it all dry out before driving it again, but what else should I be looking in to before I have more problems later on in the possable life of the motor..

Thanks
Old 03-28-2004, 01:33 PM

I'm not sure what else you could do but I would suggest getting a water by pass for your intake. It stops the water getting to the engine. It works great on the cold air systems.
Old 03-28-2004, 01:52 PM

Default Re: (crzyfool24)

wrong...its been covered...the bypass only works when the filter is fully submerged in water...so if you pass through a puddle and get some splash then it could still get sucked into the engine...short ram is the only way to go if you live in a rainy area...
Old 03-28-2004, 02:05 PM

Default Re: (2trix)

yeah, thats what I have been seeing.. Kinda sucks though since the shorty's still grab hot engine compartment air in.

But guess it's better then blowing the motor..
Old 03-28-2004, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (wootcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wootcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But guess it's better then blowing the motor.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i would say so
Old 03-28-2004, 02:18 PM

Default Re: (blackhatchy)

CAI's shouldnt be a prob in the rain....just watch out for those stalker puddles that lurk on the sides of the roads and u should be fine.
Old 03-28-2004, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jsdxhatch)

Do a compression and leakleak down test
Old 04-07-2004, 02:34 AM

The bypass works pretty good on my cold air system.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crzyfool24)

the same thing happened to my buddy who lives in portland. sounds like youve taken all the necesary steps. if theres any water left in there, it will eventualy burn off. if you had hydrolocked the motor it would've happened immediatly. i think youll be fine. good luck man
Old 04-07-2004, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (a1320honda)

yeah, when I hit the puddle the car turned off immediately. The never started again, when I got a chance to look at it I found a BIG hole in the block. If it hydrolocks you'll know right then. Larry
Old 04-07-2004, 04:38 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (B18C4-T)

i had the same problem, never got wet in thow.. but i removed all the plastic fenders guards, etc.. and my filter was very exposed. I took a for sale sign, thin sheet metal, and wrapped it around the filter, then jb welded a cap at the end, with some slits on the top. Flows great, and prevents the rain/slush from hitting the filter.

A def must
Old 04-07-2004, 04:47 AM

seems to me like you took all the necessary steps, let everything dry out and once it has go pick yourself up a good bypass valve
Old 04-07-2004, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Woops! Water up the intake tube :( (wootcivic)

WELL YOU FEEL STUPID DON'T YOU LIKE I TELL ALL OF MY CUSTOMERS SHOULD OF HAD A BYPASS VALVE BUT MOST OF THE LITTLE BASTARDS THINK I'M JUST TRYING TO SELL **** BUT THE BEST THING YOU COULD DO IF YOU HAVE DONE WHAT YOU HAVE ALREADY DONE IS DRIVE IT, NOT BEAT IT, JUST DRIVE IT UNTILL IT RETURNS TO NORMAL. THEN COMPRESSION CHECK ALL OF THE CYLINDERS AS LONG AS THERE WITH IN A 10TH OF A POINT OF COMPRESSION YOU ARE GOOD TO GO BUT IT ALL DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH WATER YOU SUCKED UP IF YOU SUCKED UP ENOUGH YOU KILLED SOMETHING INTERNALLY
Old 04-07-2004, 05:45 AM

Default Re: Woops! Water up the intake tube :( (slowe6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowe6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">WELL YOU FEEL STUPID DON'T YOU LIKE I TELL ALL OF MY CUSTOMERS SHOULD OF HAD A BYPASS VALVE BUT MOST OF THE LITTLE BASTARDS THINK I'M JUST TRYING TO SELL **** BUT THE BEST THING YOU COULD DO IF YOU HAVE DONE WHAT YOU HAVE ALREADY DONE IS DRIVE IT, NOT BEAT IT, JUST DRIVE IT UNTILL IT RETURNS TO NORMAL. THEN COMPRESSION CHECK ALL OF THE CYLINDERS AS LONG AS THERE WITH IN A 10TH OF A POINT OF COMPRESSION YOU ARE GOOD TO GO BUT IT ALL DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH WATER YOU SUCKED UP IF YOU SUCKED UP ENOUGH YOU KILLED SOMETHING INTERNALLY </TD></TR></TABLE>

push the caps lock button... its not hard.. and your customers probably dont listen to you because of your attitude and yelling at them....
Old 04-07-2004, 05:50 AM

Default Re: (B18C4-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C4-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah, when I hit the puddle the car turned off immediately. The never started again, when I got a chance to look at it I found a BIG hole in the block. If it hydrolocks you'll know right then. Larry</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mine started again, but with almost no oil, and a WHOLE lot of noise... And a chunk of block the size of a golf ball missing...
Old 04-07-2004, 05:51 AM
Trial User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowe6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">WELL YOU FEEL STUPID DON'T YOU LIKE I TELL ALL OF MY CUSTOMERS SHOULD OF HAD A BYPASS VALVE BUT MOST OF THE LITTLE BASTARDS THINK I'M JUST TRYING TO SELL **** BUT THE BEST THING YOU COULD DO IF YOU HAVE DONE WHAT YOU HAVE ALREADY DONE IS DRIVE IT, NOT BEAT IT, JUST DRIVE IT UNTILL IT RETURNS TO NORMAL. THEN COMPRESSION CHECK ALL OF THE CYLINDERS AS LONG AS THERE WITH IN A 10TH OF A POINT OF COMPRESSION YOU ARE GOOD TO GO BUT IT ALL DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH WATER YOU SUCKED UP IF YOU SUCKED UP ENOUGH YOU KILLED SOMETHING INTERNALLY </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol
Old 04-07-2004, 06:49 AM

Default Re: Woops! Water up the intake tube :( (CooBlueDAB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CooBlueDAB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

push the caps lock button... its not hard.. and your customers probably dont listen to you because of your attitude and yelling at them....</TD></TR></TABLE>

No ****, exactly what I was thinking....

Mike
Old 04-07-2004, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what a great businessman
i bet you are loved and respected by everyone who comes into your shop.

******* moron...